Page 1 of 4
What are some bands that caught you totally off guard? For example, they could be a mainstream band that completely changed their sound to something original, or a band who you didn't realize were as good as they were until you heard some of their stuff.

For me it's Radiohead. I'd heard a few of their songs, but the first time I heard Kid A as a whole, I sat and thought to myself "how the hell did these guys get so famous?" (I absolutely loved the album, though)
never gonna give you up
never gonna let you down
never gonna run around and hurt you

never gonna make you cry
never gonna say goodbye
never gonna tell a lie or hurt you!
Red Jumpsuit Apparatus (sp?)
Their new song is pretty sweet.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
AFI. I use to listen to their first album. Heard sing the sorrow and about cut my dick off.

Still love AFI though, and their sound hasn't really changed that much.....
jonas brothers, with all this hype i figured "ah ok they must be pretty good, since all the girls like them, and my sister(who has the same taste in music as me) loves them".... then i heard them, and well... lets just say, that radios dont bounce down steps
Quote by megadethrule
never gonna give you up
never gonna let you down

never gonna make you cry
never gonna say goodbye

Dec 08

Same post as in the last thread...

hmmm......
trivium and opeth
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by Punkable_Tabs
Dec 08

Same post as in the last thread...

hmmm......

never gonna give you up
never gonna let you down

never gonna make you cry
never gonna say goodbye
Quote by megadethrule
never gonna give you up
never gonna let you down

never gonna make you cry
never gonna say goodbye

*Reported*

MCR is a good example, I would think. They aren't really my cup of tea, but still a good example.
Quote by megadethrule
never gonna give you up
never gonna let you down

never gonna make you cry
never gonna say goodbye

So you're kinda like a Pokémon then? You can only say one thing?
coheed and cambria

i heard a favor house atlantic at first and hated it.
then i heard the title track from in keeping secrets. <3
Go Veg.
Quote by xaviergray

He said more then one thing
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by Punkable_Tabs
*Reported*

MCR is a good example, I would think. They aren't really my cup of tea, but still a good example.

this, I like them and im not a fan of the scene thing, but i shouldn't even mention that because they are a rock band first
Quote by xaviergray

Don't feed the troll!
Quote by xaviergray

It's a Pikachu. >_>

Hmm...nothing really pops into my head...I suppose I'll say GNR's Chinese Democracy, because it actually has a few decent tunes on it, and i expected it to be crap.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Radiohead
Airbourne
Bloc Party
Eagles of Death Metal
The Casualties

Now I love 'em
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

The Mars Volta- Weird sound
Opeth- Amazing blend of styles and great musicians

Then there's Thrice.I heard some of their old stuff and was like eh...screamo type music.Then I heard some of the Alchemy Index songs and was like wow.......wtf happened to this band?!

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Augustana, when they came to play at my school. I used to think that they were just more mainstream, radio-and-MTV-centric garbage, but the show was free so I decided to go anyway.

They were amazing. All traces of mindless pop were eliminated, and the singer's voice, which on their studio stuff is all but indiscernible from any other band's, was spot-on, yet at the same time dripping with emotion. They played their second album's hit single (Sweet and Low) acoustically, incorporating a banjo, improvised all kinds of new lyrics for their first album's lead single (Boston), and also did songs with a mandolin. They closed with a cover of some old country song, during which a balloon floated up onstage. Without missing a beat, the singer incorporated it into the song, "talking dirty" to the balloon. It was awesome.
kill all humans
Quote by SGstriker
Hmm...nothing really pops into my head...I suppose I'll say GNR's Chinese Democracy, because it actually has a few decent tunes on it, and i expected it to be crap.

Buckethead was on that album, yes? Or am I losing my mind?!?!
John 5.

I thought he was nothing much until he went solo.Very unique and talented.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
Fleetwood Mac, they were my parents favorite group and I assumed they were your typical cheesy 70's pop group and didn't pay close attention when they'd play it around me, maybe they are in some songs, but I find the majority of their songs totally kickass. Lindsey Buckingham is such an underrated guitar player.

Tusk might be my favorite album ever.
When RATM was popular (before GH, i hate people who are fans of a band cause they heard a song on GH) in around 2000/2001 i never thought much, but when i actually sat down and listened to some songs i was hooked, still am.
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Mastodon

I heard they were hardcore, which I don't really care for, but then I heard them and they were amazing. I also theought Armored Saint would be some stupid costume thing, but they're really good as well
Quote by Punkable_Tabs
Buckethead was on that album, yes? Or am I losing my mind?!?!

He was on the album, yes.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by SGstriker
He was on the album, yes.

was he on "Better"?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Black Tide. I thought they were a screamo band when I first saw their album in my local record store. But I gave them a listen anyways and they turned out being pretty badass.
Quote by WhereArtEsteban
Fleetwood Mac, they were my parents favorite group and I assumed they were your typical cheesy 70's pop group and didn't pay close attention when they'd play it around me, maybe they are in some songs, but I find the majority of their songs totally kickass. Lindsey Buckingham is such an underrated guitar player.

Tusk might be my favorite album ever.

plus ****ing one man.Finally.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
Quote by bucketmark
was he on "Better"?

I believe so...let me check.

EDIT: Yes, he played the solo on it.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
the beatles. i thought they were just some stupid overrated pop band from the 60's, you know a band big with the girls. When my brother introduced me to their great studio work, i was blown away. Now i consider them underrated to many people's disbelief.
I once received a bra... with "I Love John" embroidered on it. It thought it was pretty original. I didn't keep it, mind you - it didn't fit. - John Lennon

Music is my religion. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by SGstriker
I believe so...let me check.

EDIT: Yes, he played the solo on it.

Thought it sounded like buckethead
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Muse - I always thought of them as another purely atmospheric "thinking-man's" type band like Radiohead (which I find kinda boring) or even a soft-rock, easy-listening type band like Coldplay. They surprised me with their catchy-ness and I've listened to them a ton.

Brand New - I never really though anything of them, and if I did it was that they were the more commercialized type of "emo" or even a hipster thing in a way. My sister got me into them a few months ago and I like them a lot, perfect mix of the punky edge and brilliant songwriting and poetry.

Paramore - I always thought of them as "that one pop band with the cute redhead" until about a month ago. I decided I really liked their song crushcrushcrush after I saw the music video, and for awhile they were my guilty pleasure type band that I kept hidden from everyone. However once you get past the fact that they're not the type of band you "should be" listening to, they really are a very respectable pop-punk/emo band. I know that genre is looked down upon around here, but I'll always respect a band that can write a catchy hook and has fun with that without trying to be anything more. I can't quite put my finger on it, but for some reason their attitudes and the way they do things really speaks to me. I guess they showed me that pop music has something to offer too, you don't need to be a real technically complicated rock band.

Weezer - I really don't know why (probably their image), but before I really bothered getting into their music I thought of them as kind of a novelty band like Smashmouth or something- not meant to be taken seriously. Obviously I was wrong. They sorta combine everything I love about punk music with everything I love about grunge, classic rock/metal, powerpop, and emo. To me they just found a way to mix it all to make a sound that was a little different than anything else to me, but familiar enough to be instantly catchy.

There's been a LOT more, those were all within the last few months or so.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.”
-Bob Dylan

Quote by Freezer Burn

Congratz on the having the longest wall of text ever!

the raconteurs - when i heard broken boy soldiers, i blew them off as more of jack white's boring music (i'm not a white stripes fan), but then i heard then new cd. DEAR LORD. it's amazing! they're really original and the songs are just so well put together! i love it.
I thought I heard the door open, oh no,
I thought I heard the door open but
I only heard it close.
Kiss. i thought they'd be a lot heavier, i guess. i was pleased with the reality
Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the cake this morning!

yeah, that's an inside joke. i made it different colors and sizes to be obnoxious...
Quote by charger356
Black Tide. I thought they were a screamo band when I first saw their album in my local record store. But I gave them a listen anyways and they turned out being pretty badass.

this!

and a perfect circle. not just another alternative band. faaaaaar from it.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
Coldplay's new album. I was like this is good.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that one. They blew away my low expectations on that. 'Course now there's all this controversy about plagiarism, which in my opinion is a load of sh*t, if you consider that people in jazz and other genres copy each other's stuff all the time.
Page 1 of 4