Does how you hold a pick affect how fast and well you play? i play metal and stuff.

Thanks
There was only one Andres Segovia
Well the standard and most common way to hold a pick is between your index finger and thumb, the pick touching on the side of your index finger and the bottom of your thumb.

But really, it's all personal preference. As long as it's comfortable for you and it gets the job done.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Pick thickness influences playability although its just a matter of what you like better. personally i like thick picks.

picks influence your playing quite a lot. if you tend to play fast and accurately a jazz pick will do you well. otherwise a regular pick should be fine. jazz picks do take getting used to however.

the other thing is that picks effect tone. this is only really audible on cleans though.
I find that the angling of the pick is a big factor.Like when sweeping or doing fast alternate runs I angle the tip slightly off the strings and point it towards the neck so it doesn't snag.When I do chords or accented down strokes I hit perpendicular to the strings with the full tip for the added power.Mainly how you hold your pick is a personal thing that evolves over the time you've played and based on your specific habits and style.As long as it's comfortable and works for you it's good.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Some people play the pick backwards(as in the butt of the pick, not the pointy part touches the string) so that they can pick faster. I don't know how that works. you can have the best and most expensive pick in the world but if you're no good, you're just no good.
Quote by nottinoob
Some people play the pick backwards(as in the butt of the pick, not the pointy part touches the string) so that they can pick faster. I don't know how that works. you can have the best and most expensive pick in the world but if you're no good, you're just no good.

I do, it's better for blues improv. and chord work.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by nottinoob

yeah i do that
You'll figure out what way you like to hold the pick best when you play more. There isn't one specific way. What will influence you're playing is what type of pick you use. My favorites are the small sharp green Tortex jazz picks. Those really help for sweeping fast because so little of the pick is sticking out of you're fingers that the pick just slides over the strings. The only downfall is that once you get used to them every other pick is almost unplayable because they feel so huge and clunky.
Quote by sashki
I have read that many players advise you to hold your pick as parallel to the strings as possible when alternate or sweep picking.

Depends, but when your pick is more parellel to the strings, your playing will be 'cleaner'. And for fast alt. picking/sweeping that's probably what you want so yeah.

The only thing I tend to point out with people is when they hold the pick with three fingers (the middle, also), simply because this leaves less fingers for fingerpicking. Ofc most these people don't play no fancy jazz chords but hey. Never hurts.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
what ever suits you, but playing metal a "speed grip" would probs suit you best, thats basically holding it so that only a tiny bit of the tip is showing and coming into contact with the strings, it minimises the movement you need to do and also helps prevent the pick getting caught on the string when you speed up
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC