So I have an issue of getting my solos to cut in my band. Its a 2 guitar band, but the music isn't ridiculously heavy. Any tips out there for getting my solos to cut through. As of now what I'm doing is putting a flat 4db boost on my Carvin and turning on my distortion pedal. You can kinda tell I'm playing something different. But it doesn't stand out. I want the solo to stand out like a guitar solo would, but still be distinctly bass. Thanks for the help!
treble and mids. maybe even turn down the bass a bit. volume pedal? tell everyone else to play quieter durign the solo.

and are you getting an outside listener to judge if your solo stands out? you or your bandmates will have a skewed perspective of the actual sound volume
get a volume pedal,
Set it that your amp is louder than the other guitarist's.
Turn your volume down to match the other guitarist.
When your solo comes up, turn the volume up.
also, high Treble and Mid with a little lower bass works great.
Shawn George Noel
my favorite way to cut thru for bass solos is actually is with my distortion pedal not alot of distortion but a punchier set up like more treble and mids and full volume. and i get the drummer to change what hes playing during my solo so it still holds rythm but compliments the solo well
Keep On Keepen' On
What Carvin do you have? If it's a BX600/1200, just put a fairly hefty mid boost on the graphic EQ and footswitch it on for solos. I use the same technique on mine.

I'm not sure if the BR15 is footswitchable...
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 31, 2008,
What do your guitarists play during your solo?

When I have solos in my band it's usually just me and the drummer playing
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Are the guitarists using distortion during your solo? If not, a simple volume boost should do the trick. If they are I'd say crank the treble and high mids while not turning on your distortion. Putting distortion on is just going to make you blend in more.
Quote by SocKo?
treble and mids. maybe even turn down the bass a bit. volume pedal? tell everyone else to play quieter durign the solo.

and are you getting an outside listener to judge if your solo stands out? you or your bandmates will have a skewed perspective of the actual sound volume

This is a pretty good point.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by ScottB.
What do your guitarists play during your solo?

exactly.
If i were you, i would ask the 2 guitarists to either play clean chords or lightly palm muted progressions...maybe even just one guitar playing
Mids, lots of em. Maybe add some 12's to your rig?
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
As it goes i dont think most of us can just go out and buy a 12" cab.

Get the guitareists not nicely too play quieter but to Palm mute more, a slight chugg might help as well. Lower you bass settings and maybe get an eq pedal so you can change tone to make yourself more audible.

The Person who said gewt an outside listener made the best point, maybe from a distance your sound rings out a bit better.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I don't have anything to add, but I wanted to know, how do you like your Carvin? I've been thinking about getting one for a while...
I was doing a home recording a while ago, I used basically what's been said before - loads of treble and distortion, kind of like Lemmy from morothead's tone. I'm sure there is more than one way to do it though, what kind of sound are you looking for?
The best way to make your solo heard is to get everyone else to play more quietly. A loud noisy section of a song isn't the best place for a bass solo anyway. Take for example Aeroplane by RHCP, not the best example, I know, but you'll notice that the guitar completely cuts out and the drums quiet down.

You need to arrange the song so that the solo is in an appropriate spot and is audible. My two cents anyway.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.