hey so i just got a new vox ac30 amp and i was wondering if i need to do anything special transporting it for the tubes and other stuff. im gonna be moving it alot for some shows and lots of jams so i was wondering if there were any things i needed to consider for transporting it. thanks everyone.
Just use common sense, don't drop it or hit it against anything.. if you got it in the car don't let it fall over or anything like that. Just be gentle and it should be fine. Give it time to warm up before flipping on the standby to play, and let it cool down for a minute or so before turning the power off after the standby.

edit: BTW! I want to try out one of those, does it sound like these guys

That's a tone I want a lot
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Last edited by touji-za-nai at Dec 31, 2008,
well its alot easier to get a good blues or classic rock tone out of it but ya you could get that kinda stuff easily! it is so amazing you wouldnt regret it
Dont use the standby switch first of all. The spiking of the current will blow your rectifier tube.
Just dont even touch it. always leave it on.

second of all, as soon as you can hear your guitar through it, its all good to play.
it just wont sound as good till it warms up.

Id get a case for it if i was you. I also look into different tubes.
Gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom w/ 57 classic plus & burstbucker pro
Gibson SG Limited Edition, Crescent Moon Inlays
Dr. Z SRZ-65
Egnater 4x12 cab w/ Vintage 30s
why would that blow the rectifier if you just warm the tubes up for a minute? and i was wondering about transporting it. should it stand up or would it be ok to lay it down
Quote by Tyrus97
why would that blow the rectifier if you just warm the tubes up for a minute? and i was wondering about transporting it. should it stand up or would it be ok to lay it down

When you use the stanby switch, you have an inrush of current and
a voltage spike of over 700v which can damage the rectifier tube, the output transformer, the filter caps, and the standby switch itself.

about transporting. its better to stand it up. But if you have to lean it over, i dont think it'd hurt it.
Gear:
Dr. Z SRZ-65
Quote by mp5hkm
Dont use the standby switch first of all. The spiking of the current will blow your rectifier tube.

second of all, as soon as you can hear your guitar through it, its all good to play.
it just wont sound as good till it warms up.

Id get a case for it if i was you. I also look into different tubes.

Have you ever played a tubed amp?

You HAVE to use the standby switch... flip the power on and wait a minute or 2, then flip the standby on. Even if it's called standby, it has to be on or up or w/e for the signal to make any noise..

What do you mean don't touche it at all? ever? wtf?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
k thanks and also around how much would it cost to have tubes replaced when they need to be
If you buy a retube kit, roughly $100 (a good deal)
Single tubes around $20?

It's not bad considering how long they last, provided you are good to them
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
I have an AC30. i know about my amp. Thing is, no B+ (plate supply) flows in these amps until the filaments in the GZ34 have warmed up themselves, by which time every other tube in the amp also has its filaments heated.
Gear:
Dr. Z SRZ-65
ya that makes sense. so wat if i just turn the power and stand by switch on at the same time so that the tubes dont warm up so there isnt that much of a charge
Quote by Tyrus97
ya that makes sense. so wat if i just turn the power and stand by switch on at the same time so that the tubes dont warm up so there isnt that much of a charge

You should really just turn on the power switch first to let it warm up, then flip the standby switch. Your tubes will last longer that way, and you won't damage the amp.
Quote by Tyrus97

It's bad for the tubes to do that, you have to ease them into play mode.

turn on power (wait a minute) turn on standby and play

when you are done:

turn off the standby switch (wait for a minute or so depending on how hot the tubes are) turn off power
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by Tyrus97

what i do is just leave the standby switch in the "on" position all the time. i dont even touch it. on an AC30, somethings are backwards.

Once you hear sound coming out of the amp. the tubes are already warmed up to play through.
Gear:
Dr. Z SRZ-65
Quote by touji-za-nai
It's bad for the tubes to do that, you have to ease them into play mode.

turn on power (wait a minute) turn on standby and play

when you are done:

turn off the standby switch (wait for a minute or so depending on how hot the tubes are) turn off power

thats the thing, the rectifier takes longer to warm up, then the rest of the tubes.
thus the tubes are already warmed up (and up to charge) before the rectifier is warmed up.

please just trust me. i know what i am talking about.
Gear:
Dr. Z SRZ-65
k thanks for all the feedback even though it has got a little confusing but still helpful
Quote by Tyrus97
k thanks for all the feedback even though it has got a little confusing but still helpful

Sorry about all the confusion. I just really don't want you to hurt your amp by being misinformed . AC30s are really great amps.
Gear:
Dr. Z SRZ-65
Quote by mp5hkm
what i do is just leave the standby switch in the "on" position all the time. i dont even touch it. on an AC30, somethings are backwards.

Once you hear sound coming out of the amp. the tubes are already warmed up to play through.

so when you want to play your amp, you just flip the power switch an wait?

that's horrible for the tubes man, you can't have the standby engaged when you flip the power on
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by mp5hkm

I don't own a tube amp (yet), and even I know that's BS.

Quote by mp5hkm
please just trust me. i know what i am talking about.

Either you're trolling, or you are really ignorant and have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about. Please say you're trolling.
Quote by touji-za-nai
so when you want to play your amp, you just flip the power switch an wait?

that's horrible for the tubes man, you can't have the standby engaged when you flip the power on

This is the right explanation. TO CLEAR EVERYTHING IN THIS THREAD UP:

1. Plug guitar into AC30
2. Turn power switch on AC30 on.
3. Wait 1-2 minutes.
4. Turn standby switch on.
5. Wait for sound.
6. Play!

That is the right way to turn on and warm up a tube amp. Please don't listen to the other guy who said to leave the standby switch on all the time, that's just an accident waiting to happen. You'll either blow the tubes on the spot, or damage them enough to leave them with a shorter life.

Hope this helps, sorry for all the confusion the other guy was causing!
none of you have any idea what your talking about. Or how an AC30 is wired. Or even how a GZ34 rectifier tube works.

here, this might help everyone understand.

It's rare for you to be sitting in a room reading a book and the light in the lamp just goes off.

But it's common to switch on a lamp and have the bulb die at that point.

In this scenario, the light has a steady voltage and steady current through it. Unless physically vibrated, that filament inside that bulb will keep on going a long long time.

But that same bulb when subjected to the voltage spike and current increase due to the electricity quickly being switched on will fail. The filament that could withstand hours and hours and hours with a steady voltage and current will fail instantaneously when the voltage and current briefly exceed its threshold of failure.

when you don't use the standby switch, all the tubes gently get up to charge. A steady increase.

FYI! - This is ONLY for tube amps that use a GZ34 rectifier tube.
Gear:
Dr. Z SRZ-65
Last edited by mp5hkm at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by GNRjungle87

1. Plug guitar into AC30
2. Turn power switch on AC30 on.
3. Wait 1-2 minutes.
4. Turn standby switch on.
5. Wait for sound.
6. Play!

+ infinity

In addition, you DO NOT need to put the amp into standby to let the tubes "cool down" before turning off. They're going to cool down at the same rate if you just pull the power completely, so it defies all logic to put it into standby for a couple of minutes before switching off. The only advantage is that it is ready for you to play next time so you only have to hit the power. Hope that makes sense.

As for transporting, i'm assuming this will be in a car. if there is space, lay it flat, and pack something around it to stop it sliding about. Just drive as you would if your mum was in the car - don't brake too hard, drive sensibly etc - and it'll be ok. I've seen these things go through hell and back and still function perfectly! If its going in a truck, the same applies, but make sure it wont fall over and is packed in well. through a blanket over it to avoid getting the tolex scratched.

When bringing it inside from the cold, let it heat up a bit in the warm air before plugging it in to anything. This allows any condensation to clear before you put current through it. It also stop the cold glass in the tubes form cracking.

Edited for spelling
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Last edited by AndyPandy at Dec 31, 2008,
ha thanks andypandy im pretty sure your the only person who answered my actual question. i dont know how everyone got off on this crazy tangent like i dont know how to turn on my own amp. peace everybody
If you are going to be moving it around a lot, it would be in your best interest to invest in a case for it. The one sold at Northcoastmusic.com works well (I bought one). It's $300 but if your amp is $1500 it's worth it.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
I don't own a tube amp (yet), and even I know that's BS.

Either you're trolling, or you are really ignorant and have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about. Please say you're trolling.

Have you ever even owned an ac30? mp5hkm knows what he is talking about.

Read article in this thread:
http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055414687&highlight=ac30

Vox ac30's technically do not require standby switches due to the GZ34 rectifier.
I always leave it a ferw miuntes after playing before taking it out into the cold air, coz i dont want the tubes to get ****ed.
Quote by mp5hkm
Blah blah blah.

Or you could just wait for all the tubes to warm up properly while on standby, eh?
Quote by touji-za-nai
Just use common sense, don't drop it or hit it against anything.. if you got it in the car don't let it fall over or anything like that. Just be gentle and it should be fine. Give it time to warm up before flipping on the standby to play, and let it cool down for a minute or so before turning the power off after the standby.

edit: BTW! I want to try out one of those, does it sound like these guys

That's a tone I want a lot

I love the alomst! my ac30cc2 can get that sound.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground