While I'm not the best at it, it doesn't pose major drama's other then I'm a little slow. Question I had though was regarding as to what notes should be an upstroke vs a downstroke.

Have seen a few clips here and there _ online guitar lessons - and a guitar method book/cd that I have ALWAYS seems to reccomend starting with a downstroke on the index finger and always 3rd and 4th finger to be an upstroke.

For instance when using a/picking for the minor pentatonic scale.

Trouble is that I find I always reverse the picking. Up pick with the index and down pick with the others. On a little exercise I was doing to help with alternate picking it reccomended it this way: E string 5v...........8^.............5v..........B string-8^

I find this very akward and really have to think about it. Yet when I reverse my picking strokes and do the exercise again, I don't have to think about it and I'm instantly at LEAST, twice as fast. And this is true with any exercise I do. Not thinking about it as much and easily faster.

So, after making a short story long, does it really matter how you alternate pick? Whether I use an upstoke on my index and down on 2/3/4th fingers as opposed to everywhere else that states the opposite? Will it catch up with me down the track for other stuff?

Any help appreciated.

Jonno.
Cool. Thanks. I don't think I'm economy picking though. I guess the easiest way to explain it - yeah yeah, why couldnt i do it before - is like this. With pentatonic scale it's always reccomended to do it this way with pick strokes.

5v..............8^
5v............7^
5v............7^
5v............7^
5v..............8^
5v..............8^

I do it this way:

5^..............8v
5^............7v
5^............7v
5^............7v
5^..............8v
5^..............8v

Complete opposite with pick strokes. Which I find so much easier. Does it really matter?
It doesn't matter, there's no "recommended way" to play the pentatonic scale like that because ultimately you're never actually going to PLAY it, you might however just use it as a picking exercise. There's no point practicing the pattern for the sake of the pattern, however the two things you have there are both handy picking exercises so I'd say use them both in that respect.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com