Hi, I have recently been trying to record some guitar parts but the problem is the sound comes out extremely muffled. The only way I have found to fix this is playing at extremely low volume levels. Im using a tube amp and recording at low volume levels isn`t the greatest. I am using a Shure SM-57, a Monster Prolink Microphone Cable and the program i`m using is a free download of Audacity. If anybody knows what the problem may be please help.
Too much equipment to write down...
Where you aiming the mic at? (Centre of cone? Edge? 45 degrees of axis?)
Ive tried all around, it just seems like anything with any volume is to loud and the mic can`t take it, and the only way for it to stop is to play at a low speaking volume.
I guess I should also state that it goes mic - cable - 1/4 inch converter - mic input on laptop
So play at the low volume. I use the same amp as you, and have the same problem. (It also sounds like **** when I try to record through the clean channel, no matter what volume, but that's besides the point.) Just boost the volume in the program your using.
It's probably the ****e mic input on the laptop.

You obviously have a good enough mic with the SM57. Generic sound card mic inputs or line in's are general crap and designed for Teamspeak mic's and end up like your describing. Look at getting a proper interface for your mic that connects to the computer via firewire (or usb if you can't afford). Should help a lot
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Alright thanks, i'll look for a usb converter tommorow.
Yeah, you need a real standalone dedicated sound card for quality recordings. Also make sure the input isn't too high or the card will start clipping and produce unwanted distortion.
Quote by mck_776
It's probably the ****e mic input on the laptop.

You obviously have a good enough mic with the SM57. Generic sound card mic inputs or line in's are general crap and designed for Teamspeak mic's and end up like your describing. Look at getting a proper interface for your mic that connects to the computer via firewire (or usb if you can't afford). Should help a lot

Yep, exactly. The SM57 should be able to handle input levels up to over a 100dB and I doubt your amp is that loud when you're recording. Also with a USB Audio interface you won't be needing the XLR to minijack convertor which is not doing your sound any good.

When you get the USB interface, first calibrate the system; eg find a level where you get decent response in the waveform but no clipping.

(also, just to mention: the more to the center of the cone, the brighter the sound, the more to the edge, the warmer. Keep it in mind)
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Have a look at the M-Audio Fast track USB. They are decent mic interfaces for the money.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Playing at low volume is not going to maximize your amps potential. Play at least volume at 12 o clock. Then at your recording settings, keep it at low volume.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots