I recently got a new guitar Schecter C-1 classic and am having a bit of a problem. When doing pull offs on the high e-string I find that a lot of the time I pull the string off the fretboard. Keep in mind I haven't been playing long (approx. 1 year) so I'm sure it has a lot to do with technique. Where I am confused is I don't have this problem on my Ibanez RG350dx. I can do a pull off on the Schecter without it going off the board but I have to do it very slowly and with minimal downward/outward pressure on the flick. Is it just a matter of getting used to this guitar? Any suggestions.
Stuff I use:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey 5150 (Signature)
Marshall 1960AV
Tighten strings maybe? Pulling strings off the fretboard is not normal, usually.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

I also have some significant fret buzz. Not at all on open strings but on a lot fretted notes. Is that related in anyway?
Stuff I use:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey 5150 (Signature)
Marshall 1960AV
I also have a problem when pulling off with my first finger to the open string. I'm trying to play the intro to Spirit of the Radio by Rush atm. I can do it on my Ibanez, though not up to speed, but on the Schecter the string keeps coming off the fretboard.

Tighten strings? As in tune them? I am a little confused.

Thicker strings may help. I am using 9's-42 on the Schecter. Not sure if they are supposed to take 10's or something. My Ibanez has 9/42 on them.
Stuff I use:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey 5150 (Signature)
Marshall 1960AV
Tighten/Thicker strings help with fret buzz. You may need to adjust your action/truss bar/strings to accomadate the way you play. It's common for new guitars to take several weeks to get set-up properly when buying new, so just tinker with it till you get it right.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but without seeing your guitar, I can't actually tell you what's WRONG with it.

^feels guitarted^
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Yeah I planned on going it getting set up anyway. I wasn't sure if the string slipping off the fretboard was definently related or not. I'll go get is setup and report back if I still have problems.
Stuff I use:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey 5150 (Signature)
Marshall 1960AV
Quote by qstionauthority
don't move your first finger when you pull off.<snip>

That's the cause of the problem - work on it, also fingers 2 and 3 as they can also be used as lower notes of the slurs. Higher tension strings will only mask the technical shortcoming, not eliminate it.
Quote by Kingofold
I recently got a new guitar Schecter C-1 classic and am having a bit of a problem. When doing pull offs on the high e-string I find that a lot of the time I pull the string off the fretboard. Keep in mind I haven't been playing long (approx. 1 year) so I'm sure it has a lot to do with technique. Where I am confused is I don't have this problem on my Ibanez RG350dx. I can do a pull off on the Schecter without it going off the board but I have to do it very slowly and with minimal downward/outward pressure on the flick. Is it just a matter of getting used to this guitar? Any suggestions.

Practice like that anyway; it'll do wonders for your technique.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Dec 31, 2008,
It is ultimately your technique. You just have to work on it.

FWIW, some guitars require a bit extra-goodness in your technique in this area.
Two of my guitars I have to be more careful with. There's just a little bit less
clearance to the edge. It's still a technique issue though.
Thanks for all the help so far. Do you guys pull off with the motion of your figures going towards the floor? I've worked on holding my 1st finger firm and it is helping. I still have trouble with say a 3rd finger pull off to 1st than pull to open. Like a 4-2-0 on the high e.
Stuff I use:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey 5150 (Signature)
Marshall 1960AV
sorry to say, but i think you need to improve your pull-off technique.

when you pull the string downwards, at the same time pull the string upwards with the finger that holds the string (lower note), so you avoid bending the string.
if you're talking about the high e getting stuck behind the fretwire, pulled down off the f/board, then the frets that it's getting caught on need to be filed down at the edges a bit, and the place where u bought it should help u with that. guitars are not meant to play like that.