I have a behringer v-ampire LX210. I want to save money and take a leap onto a peavey 6505 or something of metallic in nature. I was wondering if I could get a better than this digital modeling sound the behringer gives me, if I ran the 6505 head into my behringer as a cab till i had more money to get the half-stack.
get a 5150 2x12 combo
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
If the speakers can handle the wattage and you're not mismatching impedance then it should work fine. Whether it will sound good or not I can't tell you.

Although I hope you don't mean plugging the 6505 into input of a combo...
Quote by al112987
If the speakers can handle the wattage and you're not mismatching impedance then it should work fine. Whether it will sound good or not I can't tell you.

He probably meant the return jack. I hope. Does the Behringer have one?
Quote by al112987

?.. no...

I'm just saying he should get a 6505 combo, that's it.. and use it? yeah, use it
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
^ We were talking about TS he wants to buy a 6505 head to plug in his Behringer combo... Disregarding the fact that this probably won't sound great, we were wondering whether he was planning on plugging the head into the combo's main input or the return jack, if it even has one.
oh, I understand now... good.

now I can rest my head, and sleep at last.

boy that was buggin' me forever :P
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by ZeGuitarist
He probably meant the return jack. I hope. Does the Behringer have one?

If the combo doesn't have the speakers wired to the amp internally, he would need to attach a 1/4" jack to the speakers and plug the speakers into the combo. Plugging the 5150 into the return jack would cause an impedance mismatch.

Quote by touji-za-nai
?.. no...

I'm just saying he should get a 6505 combo, that's it.. and use it? yeah, use it

Right, I'm just saying that technically what he asked works, assuming he does it right.
^ I was wondering already if what I said was even possible

I don't think TS was planning to do as al112987 said... Are you?
i was figuring I would plug into the Pre DSP input, I don't know what DSP means, or AUX in. either way bypass the pre-amp and just use the 2x60watt speakers without the modeling.

the behringer is at 8ohms, and the peavey head can switch between 16, 8, and 4. so no mismatch right?(i'm just learning) but the wattage is higher on the peavey.

i want to be able to get a good lead metal sound. I would even settle with the stock shred tone and work from there. would the 5150 2x12 combo be able to deliver what I needed after getting a full pedalboard and a nice as hell ESP or Ibanez. How is the peavey with clean blues or jazz on a hollow body?
Last edited by Pranaman at Dec 31, 2008,
Nope, you'd fry your amp that way. The only way you could connect the two safely is plugging the speakers directly into the 5150. Otherwise you'd get a very bad mismatch, and result in a smoked 5150.

As for the 5150 itself, I dislike it, a lot of people like it because it gets a very heavy tone, and if you like a lot of gain, it has tons on tap. I really think it's a one trick pony, it doesn't do clean tones or low gain tones well at all. I mean, if you like death metal and heavy detuned riffing, it is probably a great amp for you, but if you're looking for versatility, you might be better off looking towards a different amp.