Poll: Gibson Studio Or Epiphone Les Paul (Quality And Sound Wise)
Poll Options
View poll results: Gibson Studio Or Epiphone Les Paul (Quality And Sound Wise)
Gibson Studio
35 54%
Epiphone Les Paul
30 46%
Voters: 65.
Page 1 of 2
Hey, Got To Buy A New Guitar, Alright It Just HAs To Be A Gibson, Or Atleast Have the Exact Feel And Tone To It And Relation To It, I Hate Anyother Gibson Copies So Lets Just Stick To These Two Models Which My Budget Allows, I Have Never Played A Gibson Les Paul Before As They Arent Available Here For Display Where I Live So I Got To Order Them And Buy Them To Play Them, I See Many People Buying Epiphones But Not Studios, Why Is That?? I Want A Guitar Which Can Do All Kinds Of Rock Basically From Old School Ozzy Osbourne To Black Label Soceity TO Metallica To Joe Bonamassa To Jimmy Page, Basically Very Versatille In That Genre, I Basically Solo Alot, Not Shred, But I Would Still Like A Normall Neck Not Very Fat, The 60's I Suppose?? A Humbucker Pickup, Whats Different In Burstbuckers?? And If You Choose Epiphone Which Model And Why That Over Studio, And IF You Say Studio, Well I Dont Have Much Of A Choice to Choose From, I Hate Dirty Fat Cleans, Hate Them, The Cleans Should Be Nice And Rich Without Being Too Bassy For No Reason, As I Heard Complaints About Many Good Guitars Having Terrible Cleans.

Thanks
Varun Anand

And Yes Out Of The Topic, But I See Many People Always Wanting Or Suggesting Very Old Guitars, Like 5 Decades Old, Why Is That, Why No One Seems To Want A 2008 Standard Les Paul??
Last edited by Still Thinking at Dec 31, 2008,
That Must Have Taken You Ages To Type All That Out With Capital Letters At The Start Of Every Word
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Quote by stevo192
That Must Have Taken You Ages To Type All That Out With Capital Letters At The Start Of Every Word

Indeed It Must Have Done.

and what's your budget?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
id suggest a epi lp elitist, cheaper and from my experiences alot better for the cost
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Hehe No Not Ages, Normal Fast Typing Speed, I Find It Cool To Put Everyother Word Capital, I Got My Pinky On The 'Shift' Key So Its Not That Hard After Sometime, My Budget, $1500 - $2000(If I Make An Innocent Face And Sleep Early For Some Weeks)
Jesus Christ, I could write an entire essay on this topic but will not even read the first post until the typing is fixed.
Ok The Elitist Les Paul '57 Goldtop OR Custom?? Which Elitist?? And I Read Somehwere Epiphones Have A Very Dark Tone Compared To A Gibson LEs Paul, I Dont Like That, And Still No One Answered, Why Not A Studio If A $1165 Epiphone??

And Sorry For Typing Like This, will tyr to Improve In my next reply, Its A habbit now Hehe
Quote by al112987
Jesus Christ, I could write an entire essay on this topic but will not even read the first post until the typing is fixed.

Please do now Ill type it like its supposed to be, alright?? Cool then, what do you have to say..
The elitist is a better value than a studio, or at least an equal value.

If you're talking about a standard Epiphone, it's not even close. Gibson USA production guitars are not really so different from Epiphone in terms of a bit of inconsistency in quality, but the Epiphone elitist line is solid from top to bottom, every guitar I've played from that line I've been impressed with. Good wood, good craftsmanship, good sound.

That being said, I have a Gibson les paul studio that I really like, it's not too heavy, has a good solid tone, and plays quite well. Needs to have some frets leveled, but all guitars do eventually, and I've had mine for 8 years running now and it has seen regular use all those years. All electronics are switched out, almost nothing stock on it outside of hardware and even then I've come close to replacing that bridge and tailpiece many times. The les paul studio is a good guitar, but I sometimes feel like it need's some work to make it a great guitar.

The best value on the Gibson les paul is finding a used studio from the early to mid 90s. It's not rare to see them for around $700.
You said you hate big fat bassy cleans but you will get them with a Les Paul. I'd still go with the Gibson. It's something you can always upgrade and never have to replace.
Also, a Les Paul is going to have a fat neck. It doesn't matter which model neck you gor for (50's, 60's), it's going to be chunky.
Last edited by danohat at Dec 31, 2008,
You hate bassy cleans and fat necks and you're looking at Gibson?
What amp do you have?
Quote by Horlicks
You hate bassy cleans and fat necks and you're looking at Gibson?
What amp do you have?

Too bassy and unclear cleans to be more frank, like of a Dean Razorback Explosion I have heard amd played some other model, its clean sucked, either very crunchy and distorted or too bassy, I like warm rich and reasonable bassy cleans, I dont like very fat necks, I have never played a guitar with a very fat neck though, I've played PRS and I dint like The neck, even though I got very long fingers and hands, I was having a little trouble and sometimes I even use my thumb, actually alot, so it was all a mess, and I gues the PRS have same necks as a Gibson?? Dont know which model I played though, I have heard the 60s neck is still less thicker then the 50s so I can live and get used to that
And OO I got a
VOX 50ADVT Amplifier
Boss GT - 8 Processor
And I Use Rotosound Yellows (0.10 - 0.46)
A $1500 guitar through a $500 amp, well get an an Elitist.

I suggest a new amp though.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by DespisedIcon
A $1500 guitar through a $500 amp, well get an an Elitist.

I suggest a new amp though.

Why would say that?? I Love My Amplifer And Its Great, its the best one I have ever played, better then Marshalls or Anything I Love It, but why would you want me to get a new one??
here's an idea: Schecter C-1 Classic with a used mesa F-30.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Still Thinking
Why would say that?? I Love My Amplifer And Its Great, its the best one I have ever played, better then Marshalls or Anything I Love It, but why would you want me to get a new one??

I`ve got a really good advice for you.
1. Plug your keyboard off
2. Take screwdriver
3. Take the "Shift" key out of your keyboard
4. Burn this key down.
Quote by oneblackened
here's an idea: Schecter C-1 Classic with a used mesa F-30.

That's a good LP that is.
Quote by Horlicks
That's a good LP that is.

so it's not LP shaped, big goddamn deal... It's the same woods.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
so it's not LP shaped, big goddamn deal... It's the same woods.

But it's not an LP. He specifically asked for an LP.
well in that case, used Epiphone Elitist/Used Mesa F-30.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Go Gibson because...
1. Gibson used slightly better materials and has an overall better sound
2. It was probably made in the U.S.A
3. Chicks dig Gibsons
Proud owner of a Les Paul
Quote by lupin50
Go Gibson because...
Tokai use even better materials and have 'better' sound for even cheaper.
Makes no difference at all. I'd rather play something made in Japan.
3. Chicks dig Gibsons
You're fucking retarded.

In my experience 3 is right haha. Also, the general trend is things made in the U.S have a certain quality standard to them. When I said it was made in the U.S.A I meant it would be helping our **** economy. I guess you win on #1 though.
Quote by lupin50
Go Gibson because...
3. Chicks dig Gibsons

Refering to your 3rd reason, I was going to throw away money few months back in order to look like a cool jack**s onstage shredding in front of the 'chicks', I was going to buy a Dean Explosion Razorback or when after I got into my senses a little I was going for a cheap 'fire explosion graphics fyling V by Washburn' or a cheap cool shaphed B.C Rich, then I kind of realised 'I already suck at guitar, Cant shred, And then I will have a cheap pathetic sounding guitar in my hands, and when people who actually know something about good guitars and playing, see me, they will just end up bitching about me at my back to those chicks only and I will end up worse' as someone said, first impression is the last impression, so if the Gibson doesnt sound good as compared to the Epiphone, Iam going with the Epiphone, I know Ill feel guilty as hell even if I get a million dollar diamond guitar(if exists) but doesnt have the 'Gibson' headstock, But Ill still feel comfortable with the Epiphone, as atleast they even got their link on the Gibson website and are related to them like small brothers. I hope all of that makes sense, and as far as your first two reasons are concerned, I did some research and this Elitist seems to be kicking Studios Ass big time
Last edited by Still Thinking at Dec 31, 2008,
Higher end epi's are good guitars but most people associate the Gibson Les Paul or the Fender Stratocaster with guitars.
Can Someone please answer to my other questions too, the difference between normall humbuckers and burstbuckers and even whats with this P-90?? and why are people still stuck to guitars more then 5 decades old and no one wants a 2008 Les Paul Standard??
the epiphone elitist. its discontinued, but I heard it was the best epiphone guitar of all time.
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Last edited by Arzon at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by Arzon
the epiphone etilist. its discontinued, but I heard it was the best epiphone guitar of all time.

I bet the hollowbodies are much better.
Quote by Horlicks
I bet the hollowbodies are much better.

my bad, I ment the best epiphone les paul
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Quote by Arzon
the epiphone elitist. its discontinued, but I heard it was the best epiphone guitar of all time.

Seriously?? Damn I dont want anything second hand, maybe they are at some store or site(musicians friend??)
Quote by Still Thinking
why are people still stuck to guitars more then 5 decades old and no one wants a 2008 Les Paul Standard??

Better quality of production
Better stock pickups
Better neck [normally]
Better wood [IIRC]
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Horlicks

Not all Tokais are MIJ anymore, some are, but they're running close to $2000, and that's not even including the old mid 80s Tokais which are quickly becoming collector items.
Happy New Year Everyone!! Well Its Past 12Am Here Right now, lets answer my questions now hehe
Quote by Still Thinking
Seriously?? Damn I dont want anything second hand, maybe they are at some store or site(musicians friend??)

Be willing to go used. The amount of good deals you can get increases considerably if you are.

As to your original question: the case with Les Paul Studios is as it has been for several years: if you play one and like it, get it. That guitar, not one from the storeroom, not one ordered. The QC is the only real issue they have related to other LPs - some are very good, others not so much.

Oh yes...
Quote by Still Thinking
And Yes Out Of The Topic, But I See Many People Always Wanting Or Suggesting Very Old Guitars, Like 5 Decades Old, Why Is That, Why No One Seems To Want A 2008 Standard Les Paul??

Because the current run Standard has a weight-relieved body. As the name suggests, it's not as heavy. Which is fine to some, but if I get a Les Paul, I want a ten-ton hulk of mahogony and maple that will snap the spine of lesser musicians. My brother also claimed it warmed the tone considerably, but I can't comment on that. NEver played one myself.
Quote by Flying Couch

Because the current run Standard has a weight-relieved body. As the name suggests, it's not as heavy. Which is fine to some, but if I get a Les Paul, I want a ten-ton hulk of mahogony and maple that will snap the spine of lesser musicians. My brother also claimed it warmed the tone considerably, but I can't comment on that. NEver played one myself.

I heard other issues to, and as far as the weight is concerened Epiphones and Studios arent that heavy, and even the newer Gibsons, or weight relieved Gibsons of any year, so you mean to say all of these guitar have compromised on their tone and sustain??
Dude, Gibson always beats Epiphone quality and soundwise. You should know that. I wouldn't bother making a poll like this because it's so obvious which one will win.
Page 1 of 2