Page 1 of 5
I started off with the body from a no-name ebay guitar I got for $20 when I first started playing. Many thanks go to aceshigh16 for answering all my questions on this build.

Parts breakdown:

guitar-$20
maple neck-$43
paint/tape-$11
Floyd Rose (licensed)-$30
string retainer-$3
locking nut-$10
reflectors-$10
1971 quarter-$.25
Pickup-$20
Eyehooks-$0.34
Studded belt for strap-FREE (my old one thats broken)
Chains/hooks for strap-FREE (old wallet chains, etc.)

But, if you count all the parts I sold off the old guitar, the total is only $97.59 USD!

Here are some pics of the original guitar, as well as the teardown.

Here is what the guitar looked like less than a week ago.

Teardown pics:

All of the hardware off the guitar.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 16, 2009,
Routed out pickup cavities:

First coats of flat black paint:

Black done, taped off for white paint:

Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 31, 2008,
Shaping and painting of the pickguard:

White paint:

Taped for red:

Red paint:

Paintjob almost done. Needs a few touchups, then the knicks in the finish, then some clear coat.

More pics:

I have everything ordered for the guitar, minus the neck. I'm waiting until the locking nut, FR and string retainer to get here. I have the maple neck/rosewood fretboard that came on the guitar originally still and I'm going to use it as a practice run. If I can install everything on that one, I will just get a regular maple neck. Otherwise, I'm going to get one that is routed/setup for a FR already. I will post more pics as parts start coming in and going on the guitar.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 2, 2009,
it's all a bit overdone, but best of luck.

You'll need a floyd rose, an american quarter ('76? I'm not sure)
1 Humbucker.
1 Pot.

Have it all suface mounted other than the pot which goes on a piece of scratchplate.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
it's all a bit overdone, but best of luck.

You'll need a floyd rose, an american quarter ('76? I'm not sure)
1 Humbucker.
1 Pot.

Have it all suface mounted other than the pot which goes on a piece of scratchplate.

1971 quarter. Got the pickup and FR ordered...more pics are uploading now.
Quote by Equivalence
that looks pretty sick mate

more pictures coming?

Thanks! All of them are up now. I have ordered all the parts minus the neck so it's a bit of a waiting game until after the holiday tomorrow. I will probably put some final, final pics up tomorrow after the clear coat dries and the paintjob is officially done.
Quote by Equivalence
awesome...been thinking for a while to do it myself but first I need to take a look in the financial aspect - how much did it cost for u altogether if I may ask?
be sure to post some comments on how it plays

Here's what I got in it so far:

guitar-$20
paint/tape-$11
Floyd Rose (licensed)-$30
string retainer-$3
locking nut-$10
reflectors-$10
1971 quarter-$.25
Pickup-$20
Eyehooks-$0.34
Studded belt for strap-free (my old one thats broken)
Chains/hooks for strap-free (old wallet chains, etc.)

The maple neck will run between $40 (unrouted) and $85 (routed). I've got more time than money in this thing. Each tape job took over an hour, the last stage took almost 2 hours.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 2, 2009,
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Lookin' good so far. I made one too. The taping does take a while but it's worth it when it you're done. Can't wait for more pics when you get the rest of your parts.

Thanks. Yours looks pretty sweet too!
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
I looked at your profile and I noticed you're friends with aceshigh16. Did you use his thread as a guide to do yours. I used it as a guide on mine. His turned out great too.

Yeah I asked him a bunch of questions His did turn out really nice.
Starting to put some parts back on while I'm waiting for my parts to come in the mail. Neck pickup, input jack, eyehooks and selector switch installed.

Pickguard mock-up.
Wow, nice work ^_^
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
Neck pickup cover painted and installed. Selector switch installed.

Floyd Rose mockup...studs installed.

Ground wire soldered...claw re-installed.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 3, 2009,
I've searched UG and google, but if anyone has any experience routing a neck for a locking nut and/or Floyd Rose installation (i.e. neck shimming) then PM me or link me in this thread.
I installed a floyd nut once.

I used a scrap of hardwood flooring for the shim, glued it in, filed it, and I was good to go.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Nice build Im hoping to to make a frankie myself when i have the money.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by edge11
Nice build Im hoping to to make a frankie myself when i have the money.

I have the neck to buy still, but right now I've got under $100 USD in it. I've had a blast doing it so far so it's been worth every penny.

I got a lot of stuff in the mail this weekend but I can't go much farther until I decide on a neck. I hope to get the humbucker wired in today when I get off work.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Killer project dude. Can't wait to see finished product. I don't hang out much in GBnC so if I don't comment when done and you remember - PM me.

tnx

oh and lol

Thanks! I finally found a neck that isn't going to break my budget so hopefully I will have this thing completely done within the next couple of weeks.
Nice job. I am waiting for my body to arrive so I can start on a VH1 strat.
Quote by juniorlbj
Gentlemen...

It's fap time!
woa,this is liek a 5day old thing

mroe pics?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by nowa90
woa,this is liek a 5day old thing

mroe pics?

More pics to come...I'm putting them up as soon as I get something in the mail and it is installed. Today the reflectors and locking nut are here...but I just ordered the neck today so things are kind of on hold until that gets here. I will put pics of the reflectors up later on if I install them today.
just pay 25000 for the copy off fender man! way easier

looks fantastic btw
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Zeds.Ded
just pay 25000 for the copy off fender man! way easier

looks fantastic btw

Thanks...but yeah even if I had 25K laying around I would still be doing this project...and then have $24, 852.41 left to play around with
Quote by divinorum69
Can I ask how did you make the two different red tones at the Upper left horn?

Thats just the difference between stuff that was taped and what wasn't when the red paint was sprayed...i.e. if a black or white stripe was partially taped over and then painted red, there will be different shades of red after the tape is pulled off.
Looks good as man, one of the best Frankenstrats i've seen keep it up bro!
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Quote by lespaulmarshall
Looks good as man, one of the best Frankenstrats i've seen keep it up bro!

Thanks! I can't wait to have it done. I should have all the parts here by the end of the week...hopefully Deliveries aren't exactly prompt here in KS
I noticed you have one of the pickup selectors from your old guitar. If you want the same one as eddie you can get them cheap off of ebay. And a trick to making the selector look old and rusted is to leave it in bleach for a couple days or however long it takes for it to get rusty.
Quote by aceshigh16
I noticed you have one of the pickup selectors from your old guitar. If you want the same one as eddie you can get them cheap off of ebay. And a trick to making the selector look old and rusted is to leave it in bleach for a couple days or however long it takes for it to get rusty.

Thanks man I'll give the bleach a try.
Quote by eyebanez333
A few more pics while I'm waiting on my pickup and neck to get here

what the Quarter for? I didnt read up on the Frakenstart
good luck on shipment
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Page 1 of 5