Here's my latest recording, with classic rock flavor. I'm gonna play it live next time I play out at the bar.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/cheapr2keepr/music/all/play504368

I'm curious to get opinion on the overall mix and where it should be tweaked. I was least pleased with my vocals, which is why I like to play live in front of drunks.

Any thoughts welcome.

Lyrics are available on the profile page.

Drums: Hydrogen drum simulator
Recording done on Audacity, using Behringer 1202fx mixer to patch all instruments/sounds to pc via audio input line
Guitar fx: Digitech RP500, emulating Mesa Triple rectifier and 4x12 cab with a little bit of chorus and delay. I used a Cry Baby Wah effect on the solos.
Mic: Audiospectrum AS400 ($10? mic)

Thanks!
I loved it, so much i can't describe. It was just a great classic flavoured rock tune, with that familiar riff that can't help but make you smile. That would be so fun to see in a bar with drunk guys all trying to sing along. keep em coming
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!
Quote by cobaindrix
I loved it, so much i can't describe. It was just a great classic flavoured rock tune, with that familiar riff that can't help but make you smile. That would be so fun to see in a bar with drunk guys all trying to sing along. keep em coming

Thank you sir! I was getting tired of the same old well-worn covers. I had to try and keep enough separation so I won't hear "AC/DC ripoff!", since those guys practically own the copyright on A/D/G chord progressions! I think I'll make more classic rock originals. This was my most enjoyable effort to date.

Gonna try this live Monday nite.
Quote by dee rok
riff is strong and well played...i can't hear the bass but that could be my computer...drum mix cuts through nicely...i'm 2 min in and i haven't heard you sing yet...solo was pretty good...drum fill part gets a little repetitive...da da da da...da da da da

overall great job

cheers, d

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1033219

Thanks, D. I'm taking from your feedback that the vocal track volume/quality was a bit weak.

I have a drummer I play with, but he wasn't available when I got the recording bug. I had to use drum software, and percussion ain't my thang! I hope a live drummer can add some extra spice to the fills. Thanks!

Concerning the bass: the more I listen to the recording I sometimes think the bass is a little "boomy".

Critique appreciated!
Quote by cheapr2keepr
Thanks, D. I'm taking from your feedback that the vocal track volume/quality was a bit weak.

I have a drummer I play with, but he wasn't available when I got the recording bug. I had to use drum software, and percussion ain't my thang! I hope a live drummer can add some extra spice to the fills. Thanks!

Concerning the bass: the more I listen to the recording I sometimes think the bass is a little "boomy".

Critique appreciated!

No, the bass is not boomy. You need to turn it up a little.

The voice sounds cartoony, and clips constantly in parts. That could either be recorded physically on the track or a symptom of trying to turn the track up too much. Look at the waveform. Do you see sections where the wave flatlines at the loudest level possible? Then it's clipped and you need to re-record those bits. This doesn't mean sing quieter, it means turn the mic down at the mixer or pull a little further away from the mic.
the guitar tone was decent, maybe a bit hard to distinguish, but still quite good.
Drums were sounding a bit "amateur", mainly due to your highhat and ride times, try to make them more constant. I couldn't quite hear the bass all that well, but that should be easy to fix. Vocals weren't half bad actually, maybe a bit more confidence is needed, but you did yourself pretty well. Overall, i'd give you a 3 out of 5. You did pretty well.

Could you please crit my cover of learn to fly on my solo page http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/adsp/

just wanted some feedback about my mix, as well as my vocals.

Thanks,

A.D
Quote by fleaflicker182
No, the bass is not boomy. You need to turn it up a little.

The voice sounds cartoony, and clips constantly in parts. That could either be recorded physically on the track or a symptom of trying to turn the track up too much. Look at the waveform. Do you see sections where the wave flatlines at the loudest level possible? Then it's clipped and you need to re-record those bits. This doesn't mean sing quieter, it means turn the mic down at the mixer or pull a little further away from the mic.

Yup, see what you mean. It did clip on the mixer. I'll have to turn down the channel and bump the master. I think I'll re-record the vocals now that I've practiced some more. I have to work hard to get the nasally sound out - until Brian Johnson gets done touring, I'm stuck with my voice. . Gonna play with bass mix too.

Thanks!
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
the guitar tone was decent, maybe a bit hard to distinguish, but still quite good.
Drums were sounding a bit "amateur", mainly due to your highhat and ride times, try to make them more constant. I couldn't quite hear the bass all that well, but that should be easy to fix. Vocals weren't half bad actually, maybe a bit more confidence is needed, but you did yourself pretty well. Overall, i'd give you a 3 out of 5. You did pretty well.

Could you please crit my cover of learn to fly on my solo page http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/adsp/

just wanted some feedback about my mix, as well as my vocals.

Thanks,

A.D

Thanks. I had to simulate drums with Hydrogen to get this one together. Drums will be the next instrument I learn. I'll have to see if I can get the house back in the divorce before I have room to keep a set!

I left comment on your song on the MP3 page. I enjoyed it. Sometimes I too need to turn the distortion down! On your song, vox were kinda quiet, in a couple of ways. 1) record volume I think was too low, and 2) I felt you were holding back.

Thanks!
Last edited by cheapr2keepr at Jan 6, 2009,
breaking out of hell sounded a LOT like one of the progressions from the song I Believe In A Thing Called Love - The Darkness.

still a good song though. Liked the wah-effects. And your voice isnt too bad. In fact, its perfect for the Bar scene.

the drums seemed a little stock

good job over all