Pointless thread really, but I just need some confirmation on something.

Listening to this song, the Irish sounding riff at the beginning, I was counting it and it sounds to me like 9/8. What do you think?

If it is, would I be correct in saying that it's Compound Triple Time, derived from a 3/4 with a dotted crotchet as the beat unit?

Something else, totally unrelated, I recently came up with two riffs.

One in 5/4, and one in 7/8. It's actually kinda cool, the "one" beat in both riffs re-sync every 3 bars... I think. Where your help comes in is, is there a drum time sig could I use which would land on the "one" every 3 bars, that's not 5/4 or 7/8?

Thanx,
M
I haven't heard the song, but you're correct in thinking 9/8 is compound time derived from 3/4.

As to the second question, I don't quite understand what you're trying to say.
Quote by michal23
As to the second question, I don't quite understand what you're trying to say.

Neither do I lol! I'm experimenting with poly's. Thanx for the confirmation on the first one though. The song is from Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musteion of Rock.
On the 2nd question.

They won't line up after 3 bars unless they are different tempo's.

As for linking up every 3 bars, you'll still need a time signature.

you can do like 3/4 and 7/8 through each other.

Something like this;

D|---2-3-5-3-2-----3-5-7-5-3-----5-7-8-7-5---|--------
A|-3-----------3/5-----------5/6-----------6-|/8~-----
E|-------------------------------------------|--------
   1             2             3               1   

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 31, 2008,
Wouldn't the 7th eighth note of the 7/8 land on the 1st eighth of the 3/4 in the 2nd bar though? Cuz a 3/4 has 6 eighth notes right?

Are you playing those at the same tempo though?
^No, I don't think so.

If you're doing polyrhthyms I think (I'm not too good at polys, truth be told) you'd want to keep the barring the same, otherwise you won't get a poly.

I'm not sure if polys work in such a way that you do what you're thinking. I think it's just a matter of beating it out like this this:

7/8 ||0| | | | |o| | | | |o| | | | |0| | | | |o| | | | |o| | | | |0| | | | |o| | | | ||
5/4 ||0| | | | | | | |o| | | | | | | |0| | | | | | | |o| | | | | | | |o| | | | | | | ||

A space denotes a non-stressed beat. A 0 denotes a strong stressed beat. A o weak stressed beat. Keeping in mind there's a choice with which beats you stress in 7/8 and 5/4.

Every beat is an eight beat, as we're in X/8 time (what's the actual term for that?).

If you wanted to call that one time signature, I'd call it 35/8 (there are 35 beats in total). The way I got this was by finding the lowest common denominator between 7 and 5, which (for you who failed simple maths) you can usually find by multiplying each number together.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by mdc
Wouldn't the 7th eighth note of the 7/8 land on the 1st eighth of the 3/4 in the 2nd bar though? Cuz a 3/4 has 6 eighth notes right?

Are you playing those at the same tempo though?

It's really just Math.

3/4 = 6/8

2 bars of 6/8 = 12/8 (12 8th notes)

2 bars of 7/8 = 14/8 (14 8th notes)

My example is a polyrhythm. There are 7 notes between each beat.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Thanx guys, I'm no bgc but my maths is actually pretty good since I'm doing structural engineering! Cut me some slack, I did come up with this idea at 4am lol!

Having looked at it again, the 1 beats line up after every 10 bars of 7/8, or if you want look at it from the other signature, 7 bars of 5/4.

The hardest thing about it, is maintaining good time when playing the 7/8 single note riff over the 5/4 rhythm guitar.

Anyways it was just an experiment for me really, since I never work with polyrhythms. *Goes listens to Dream Theatre*.