Hi, i just bought new trings for my bass and the E is 130, and the guages are thicker. i neeed to know, i have to get the nt filed yada yada, but if i get the string on and leave the bottom one off so in standered for those strings it would be
b
e
a
d
can i still tune back up to
e
a
d
g
? thanks
If you are one of the %10 of teen who doesn't follow Rap
and you follow PUNK, METAL AND HEAVY ROCK COPY AND PASTE THIS TOO YOUR SIGNATURE
Quote by TheTankShredder
Hi, i just bought new trings for my bass and the E is 130, and the guages are thicker. i neeed to know, i have to get the nt filed yada yada, but if i get the string on and leave the bottom one off so in standered for those strings it would be
b
e
a
d
can i still tune back up to
e
a
d
g
? thanks

That's an absolutely huge increase in tension. If the strings don't snap, the neck is not going to like it, and at the very least, your intonation and action will be thrown completely off.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
****, i wanted to drop the G because i wanna drop to c and B, but i still need to be bale to go to standerd
and you follow PUNK, METAL AND HEAVY ROCK COPY AND PASTE THIS TOO YOUR SIGNATURE
Quote by TheTankShredder
****, i wanted to drop the G because i wanna drop to c and B, but i still need to be bale to go to standerd

It's a pain, but you would need two sets of strings. To give a nice representation of it, drop your low E to low B. Feel how much less tension there is than a low E. Now imagine that extra tension on the tension a 0.130 at low B would give.

Michael Manring does a lot on his bass with swapping tuning heavily while playing, but he uses light gauge strings and just accepts the low tunings as very floppy. Not many people will be able to get away with it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I think a 5 string bass would be the most viable solution, they're tuned to B E A D G. You could probably tune the B up to C without too much trouble, my old 5 string's B string was kind of floppy, so I don't think C would be too much extra tension for it.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Yeah, i just needed somehthing to do me until next year when i get my ESP LTD F255
say for example with Rage against the machines killing in the name of, could i just go up an octave on the D, say that goes..
G---------4
D---------
A---3h5-
E-0------
so could i get the same sound on a D that i would get on a D for example for that song i need a 4,3,2 ON THE G, so i could i get that sound on the D ?
If by "sound" you mean note and if by "get that" you mean slide up the neck on the D string to play it, yes, you can.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Yeah that was a bit of a **** up, but how could i replicate the note on a 4 on the G, onto the D ?
You mean B? Ninth fret of the D string. Gotta learn your notes, man. Is that tab right? I don't really listen to them..
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Yeah, the tab is right, the actual part that changes into that goes.
|----------4------------3---------------2---------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------|
|----3-5-5-------3-5-5--------3-5-5-----------------------|
|--0-----------0------------0-----------0---2\3-2\3-2-----|
and yeah, i need to get a fretboard thing to learn the notes.
|---------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------9------------8-------------7----------------------|
|----3-5-5-------3-5-5--------3-5-5-----------------------|
|--0-----------0------------0-----------0---2\3-2\3-2-----|

There ya go. Anything else while I'm here? Ok, who am I kiddin'? I'll be here all day.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410