Hi, I'm looking to purchase a HD TV (primarily for gaming but maybe DVD's aswell) at some point in the next year (hopefully sooner rather than later) but not sure what I'm looking for and wondered if fellow UG'ers could help.

I want either a 32 or 37 inch one in general as it fit's my room size, should I look for one that says 'HD ready'?
Does it matter about brand names with televisions? as I have never purchased a TV before i don't know if for example a Sony/LG/Samsung one will be much different to unbranded ones.
I also hear something about screen resolution now and again along with something to do with 1080i and 1080p? care to explain what these are anyone? I basically want the best HD i can get from a 32/37 inch screen, what should I be looking for? (money doesn't matter as I'll just save for longer.
Oh, and is there a visual difference between 'LCD' screens and 'Plasma' screens?

Thanks for any help.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
I have 32inch tv and it suits my families room, and i think a 37inch would in fact be too big, so definately check this out first.

1080P tvs are better than 1080i tvs, so if you can afford it go for that.

Im not 100% sure on the difference between plasma and LCD screens but i know there not that important, subtle differences.
PSN: Noverion
Google that, technology websites will help you far more, and teach you far more, that we can.
i think that if you pause a game for too long on a plasma, it can actually burn into the screen.
Gamertag: KuroNeko117 - ADD ME ^_^

ILikeC OLOURS

Don't drink drive you'll spill your drink
Quote by Edgey_15
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a HD TV (primarily for gaming but maybe DVD's aswell) at some point in the next year (hopefully sooner rather than later) but not sure what I'm looking for and wondered if fellow UG'ers could help.

I want either a 32 or 37 inch one in general as it fit's my room size, should I look for one that says 'HD ready'?
Does it matter about brand names with televisions? as I have never purchased a TV before i don't know if for example a Sony/LG/Samsung one will be much different to unbranded ones.
I also hear something about screen resolution now and again along with something to do with 1080i and 1080p? care to explain what these are anyone? I basically want the best HD i can get from a 32/37 inch screen, what should I be looking for? (money doesn't matter as I'll just save for longer.
Oh, and is there a visual difference between 'LCD' screens and 'Plasma' screens?

Thanks for any help.

Plasma screens burn in certain images, say if you are playing Halo or something similar the HUD will show up after a while permanently. The same thing applies for TV stations. and they lose their effectiveness and you have to get the plasma replaced. I would go with the LCD.

Edit: Beaten to it.
Last edited by ccam555 at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by ccam555
Plasma screens burn in certain images, say if you are playing Halo or something similar the HUD will show up after a while and they lose their effectiveness. I would go with the LCD.

ILikeC OLOURS

I beat you to the plasmas burning in images

ILikeC OLOURS

There is no difference between 1080i and 1080p.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
1080i uses interlaced images, this needs less technological hardware than progressive but it can cause tearing of some images. 1080p is progressive...get this.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

1: If you buy it for gaming, get an LCD.

2: Tv is in 1080i resolution (well HDTV), but most games/blu ray movies are in 1080p, which is the resolution of the screen (number of pixels). If you are planning to be close to the tv, you'd be better with a 1080p tv, but if you are farther (about 20 foot or more) you won't see the difference.

3: http://www.panasonic.ca/french/audiovideo/lcd/tc32_37lz800.asp Get this, I got one and it's awesome
1080i = interlaced. 1080p = progressive.

However, on a 32" TV there's really little benefit for 1080 vs 720p. If buying a 32" TV and you can get a reputable brand you're probably better getting a Sony 720p versus a "no-name" 1080p. At 32" you're incredibly unlikely to see a significant difference between the 720 and 1080 resolutions, but a reputable brand is more likely to have better scaling technology, better contrast ratios and better response times.

At 37" it MIGHT be worth getting 1080, but ensure that it's 1080p. Don't pay for 1080i. Go for 720p or 1080p. If it's 1080i, not P, and it's more than a 720p TV I wouldn't bother.

Many HDTV streams are actually 720p, and even many of those are low bit rate. To be honest it's just nowhere near the same quality as a Blu-Ray disc.

Don't forget you'll need money for a surround system too. Don't blow all you cash on the awesomest 1080p TV and then have to watch your Blu-Ray movies in stereo sound. Uber-lame.
Unless the TV is 50" or bigger, you wont see 1080 because the tv itself is not physically big enough to have 1080 lines of pixels. I would look for an LCD Tv from Sony, Panasonic, Polaroid, Sharp, Toshiba or LG. DO NOT buy a no name brand like insignia or westinghouse. They are made of very low quality LCD panels and will not look anything like name brands. 720p will be fine for you as I mentioned, however most 32" tvs nowadays are 1080 so oh well. You DO want progressive over interlaced. So 720p. Other things to look at would be the speed in hertz, but that should be pretty consistant throughout the spectrum. Also look at contrast ratio, you want the highest.

Plasma will definently be too expensive, because they look really good. Plasma has amazing color and speed, but if you play video games all the time then it might be a bad choice, however burn in isnt as much o a problem as people think it to be. It can be annoying, but nowadays, most burns can be fixed by watching a movie with lots of color changes.

And "HD ready" is just a gimmick, if its an HD tv, it is ready, lol. If you are going to be playing PS3 or Xbox 360 on it, you need an HDMI cable or Component video cables respectivly, just get short ones as longer ones are really expensive. If you want to actually watch HD tv your going to have to order it from your cable company and they will have to send you an HD cable box., from which you will hook up your TV.

Also, most companies make regular LCD tvs and then there is a signature line. for example, Sharp makes tvs that are regular LCD tvs, and they make Aquos LCD tvs which are much better and much more expensive, I assume you dont want the really expensive ones, but I could be wrong. The regular ones are very good as well. Dont let the salesperson tell you otherwise.

And Finally, the warrenty. Last year best buy made 1.38 billioin in profits. 800 million of that was in warrenty sales. Only 3% of consumer electronics fail in the first few years. Now granted its a nice thing to have just in case, however, the average return is only about 6 cents on the dollar. So if you r really worried about it or its a huge tv, then maybe get the warrenty. Otherwise, I have a 32" LCD from Toshiba and Im not worried at all without a warrenty.

*falls back asleep
Last edited by outerlimit501 at Dec 31, 2008,
When you're making a big purchase like this, you gotta go all out...

I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
outerlimit501 gives some good advice but I'd say get 1080p over 720p. I have an LG 32" 720p and while the picture is great, there is definately a better quality with 1080p (it's essentially twice as sharp).

Colour contrast and refresh rate are very important. If you're playing standard definition DVDs on a HD tv then tvs with lower contrast may display darker colours poorly (and possibly pixelated). Make sure the level of blacks is good as this can be a common problem with cheaper tvs.

Also if you have a lot of other devices such as XBox 360, PS3, home cinema then you might want to get a TV with2 or 3 HDMI ports on the back.
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
okay get a Sony with 1080p and a LCD screen. LCD has better quality and last longer. I have my XBOX 360 hooked up to this and it looks amazing.
James "The Rev" Sullivan
1981-2009
May He Rest In Peace
I advise going with a LCD TV. Since you are only looking at 32" or 37", you will be perfectly fine getting one that is 720p. As mentioned before, the TVs are not big enough to matter. Also, Plasmas will look noticeably better the bigger they get, thus another reason to go LCD.

As for brand, it does matter a bit. I find Sony is more over-priced than other brands, for what you get. I'd say go with a Philips, Samsung or Sharp.
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando
Puffycow, you've got mojo

touch me
Quote by PurpleMonkeyDW
outerlimit501 gives some good advice but I'd say get 1080p over 720p. I have an LG 32" 720p and while the picture is great, there is definately a better quality with 1080p (it's essentially twice as sharp).

Colour contrast and refresh rate are very important. If you're playing standard definition DVDs on a HD tv then tvs with lower contrast may display darker colours poorly (and possibly pixelated). Make sure the level of blacks is good as this can be a common problem with cheaper tvs.

Also if you have a lot of other devices such as XBox 360, PS3, home cinema then you might want to get a TV with2 or 3 HDMI ports on the back.

1080p is NOT twice as sharp as 720p on a 32" screen. On a 32" screen there is only room for about 800 something vertical lines, it is impossible for the tv to display 1080 vertical lines. However as I said before, a lot of 32" tvs play 1080p. Mine does, and I got it because at the time, this 32" 1080p was on sale and cheaper than the 32" 720p. While it deso say 1080p, that doesnt mean that it shows 1080p, it just decodes a 1080p signal and plays it, but it will only look like a 720. That being said it is nice for it to be able to decode 1080 because I think thats what satellite HD cable is broadcast in.

but seriously, don't get a zune... apparently they are all going to kill us.
i can help you a bit on this(working for currys). go for an lcd their better quality. if a plasma breaks coz its made of gas its a write off. and there all the same technology with a brand name plastered on the front so go for any of them with a decent contract ratio and 1080p if your playing Xbox 360 or PS3(all it works with)
Quote by outerlimit501
1080p is NOT twice as sharp as 720p on a 32" screen. On a 32" screen there is only room for about 800 something vertical lines, it is impossible for the tv to display 1080 vertical lines. However as I said before, a lot of 32" tvs play 1080p. Mine does, and I got it because at the time, this 32" 1080p was on sale and cheaper than the 32" 720p. While it deso say 1080p, that doesnt mean that it shows 1080p, it just decodes a 1080p signal and plays it, but it will only look like a 720. That being said it is nice for it to be able to decode 1080 because I think thats what satellite HD cable is broadcast in.

You obvisously don't know **** about htdv's dude. 32 inch tv's can have 1920x1080 resolution, hell most computer screens have more than that and they are 19 or 20 inches.

Also, HD television is in 1080i, sometimes even in 720p, the only true 1080p sources are blu ray players and gaming consoles (ps3 and xbox 360).

And yes, 1080p really IS nicer than 1080i from the same distance.
Thanks all for the very fast replies!
I gather im generally looking for 1080p if i go for a larger TV but for smaller ones 720p is fine. I'll probably get a known brand as they look nicer in general design terms and are probably better quality, if not then who cares, it looks nice.
Plus with high contrast ratio as possible with 1/2 HDMI sockets.

Obviously people will disagree with others about what is better but the point is that thanks to you all I feel clued up enough to shop about a bit now!
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
Yeah I just realised we didn't talk about HDMI cables. Please, PLEASE don't buy the 80+ $ Monster cables they will offer you at the store. Get a cheap 10$ one from monoprice.com . Hdmi cable carry digital signals, so a crappy cable and a really pricey one won't change anything,
Quote by 0RI0N
There is no difference between 1080i and 1080p.

Yes there is. 1080i refreshes the even lines and then the odd lines. 1080p refreshes them all at once, so 1080i has half the refresh rate and can display half the frames per second.

Quote by outerlimit501
Unless the TV is 50" or bigger, you wont see 1080 because the tv itself is not physically big enough to have 1080 lines of pixels
Oh really? You know there are 30" computer monitors with 2560x1600, right? My 19" computer monitor is 1440x900. But I believe Xbox 360s render all the games in 720p so it doesn't matter. I don't know if PS3s do that. A decent PC should be able to handle 1080p on most games.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by Masonpwiley
Yes there is. 1080i refreshes the even lines and then the odd lines. 1080p refreshes them all at once, so 1080i has half the refresh rate and can display half the frames per second.

Oh really? You know there are 30" computer monitors with 2560x1600, right? My 19" computer monitor is 1440x900. But I believe Xbox 360s render all the games in 720p so it doesn't matter. I don't know if PS3s do that. A decent PC should be able to handle 1080p on most games.

the native resolution of computer monitors is much higher than that of televisions. Computers have native resolutions to 96 and above, tvs are only 72 dpi. I know what the **** im talking about
Quote by Freddedonna
You obvisously don't know **** about htdv's dude. 32 inch tv's can have 1920x1080 resolution, hell most computer screens have more than that and they are 19 or 20 inches.

Also, HD television is in 1080i, sometimes even in 720p, the only true 1080p sources are blu ray players and gaming consoles (ps3 and xbox 360).

And yes, 1080p really IS nicer than 1080i from the same distance.

A sharp Aquos 32" tv is only 1366x768 lines, so OBVIOUSLY it cannot display 1080 lines if it only has 768.

Again, I know what the hell im talking about
Quote by outerlimit501
A sharp Aquos 32" tv is only 1366x768 lines, so OBVIOUSLY it cannot display 1080 lines if it only has 768.

Again, I know what the hell im talking about

Are you ****ing dumber than I thought???

Of course I know some tv's aren't 1920x1080 ffs, I'm saying that tv's that say they are full HD have to have 1920 lines by 1080.

1080 vertical lines.

1080P

Full HD

See a relation there???

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/audiovideo/lcd/tc32_37lz800_specs.asp

And ZOMG, my tv has 1920 lines by 1080, which means it's full HD, and guess what:

It's a 32 inch tv!!!

ZOMG

It's not the same model Einstein, and they never say that's it's a 1080p tv, because it isn't
go on the currys website and u will c all the 1080 tvs with a brown background....but unless your using a blu ray player, ps3 or xbox 360 nothin else supports em