S'up guys

I'm looking for a new guitar for around £650ish

I play metal and would be looking for a carcass/cannibal corpsey sound from it, I've currently got a Peavey 5150.
I'd decent clean tone, but I could save up for a seperate neck pickup for that (suggestions welcome)

I'm also looking for a 7 string with active pick ups

Also, what's the pro's and con's of EMG's and Seymour duncans?

Sorry I really don't know much about pick ups
Oi you...

Yeah you

if you want very clean sounds dont go with EMGs
Gear:

-ESP/LTD M-100FM
-Yamaha Pacifica PAC012
-PBS 15Watts Amplifier
-Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Monster 25ft. Cable
-Dunlop Tortex 1mm Picks
-Dunlop Strap (Heavy Duty)
- Ernie Ball 10-46
Ibanez RG1527 with a pickup swap
Gibson Les Paul Studio(Wine Red)
Squier Vintage Modified Tele(White)
Eastwood Sidejack(Amber)
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro: Echo,Tremolo, Octave
Dunlop JH-1B Wah
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ 1x12 cab
Quote by Horlicks
What amp do you have?
What guitar do you have?

Peavey 5150, and some crappy jackson

&& I meant I'd save up for a neck pick up, I'd like one that came with a decent bridge pick up for cleans

So I should save up for Seymour Duncans for the neck pickup?
Oi you...

Yeah you

maybe some ESP LTD Viper? I think you can get it with 7 strings
Quote by metacarpi
I get called a slut all the time, and I'm a dude.

What kind of bridge are you interested in?

Quote by BornToRun
maybe some ESP LTD Viper? I think you can get it with 7 strings

You sure can: http://www.dv247.com/invt/47012/

It looks beautiful.
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
Last edited by crimson moon at Dec 31, 2008,
hmm, I might get the ESP... don't really like how it looks though

Any other suggestions?

&& Can you do that 18v mod on EMG 707's?
Oi you...

Yeah you

Last edited by wizzywozzy at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by crimson moon
It looks beautiful.

Quote by Horlicks

^ Probably an opinion.

It is funny that you mention opinions in your sig. then again, you did say that you are bitter.

It is a 7-string SG with EMGs. what is so funny about that?
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
Quote by crimson moon
^ Probably an opinion.

It is funny that you mention opinions in your sig. then again, you did say that you are bitter.

The body looks small/wonky and the head looks funny :P
Oi you...

Yeah you

Quote by crimson moon
^ Probably an opinion.

he didnt say it was a bad guitar
its just not beautiful...
Quote by hypnotix
Ibanez RG1527 with a pickup swap

I have an RG1527 with EMG 707s, but the guitar needs to be routed heavily to fit them in. Cost the previous owner a bundle. (They were installed when I bought the guitar)
hmm, I've heard about a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser

Which would be better for me, that or the funny looking ESP?

As they're both about the same price
Oi you...

Yeah you

Quote by crimson moon
What kind of bridge are you interested in?

You sure can: http://www.dv247.com/invt/47012/

It looks beautiful.

The flag inlays suck, and Ibanez and Schecter make better 7 string guitars anyways.

OP, get a Schecter Loomis or C7 Hellraiser. Schecter is probably the best 7-string guitar makers who put their guitars up for a REALISTIC price. Active EMG's with coil tap that sound good, along with an amazingly well built guitar for under 1000, compared to Ibanez's 1527 (Closest in your range), Well built, ****ty pickups, the body wood is overly bright, and often sounds bad with brutal chugga-chugga death metal, unless your amp is bassy, along with the pickups you stick in it.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
The flag inlays suck, and Ibanez and Schecter make better 7 string guitars anyways.

OP, get a Schecter Loomis or C7 Hellraiser. Schecter is probably the best 7-string guitar makers who put their guitars up for a REALISTIC price. Active EMG's with coil tap that sound good, along with an amazingly well built guitar for under 1000, compared to Ibanez's 1527 (Closest in your range), Well built, ****ty pickups, the body wood is overly bright, and often sounds bad with brutal chugga-chugga death metal, unless your amp is bassy, along with the pickups you stick in it.

Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about the C-7 hellraiser

I don't think I could offorf the loomis though, as it's about £700ish
EDIT; forget that, they're like the same price... whats the differances between them/which would be best suited for me out of the C-7 Hellraiser, the Loomis and the blackjack?
Oi you...

Yeah you

Look at the Schecter C-7 Blackjack ATX, http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/electric/2145-schecter_c7_blackjack_atx_electric_guitar, it plays amazingly, the only probelm is that it has a thick neck which might not be comfortable to you but should consider it.
My Gear:
-Guitars:
Schecter 30th Anniversary PT
Schecter V-7 Hellraiser
Schecter Demon 7 FR
Vintage VRS100
Amps:
Randall RG75 G3 Plus
Last edited by Rob Rock at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by Rob Rock
Look at the Schecter C-7 Blackjack ATX, http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/electric/2145-schecter_c7_blackjack_atx_electric_guitar, it plays amazingly, the only probelm is that it has a thick neck which might not be comfortable to you but should consider it.

It may not be comfortable at the start but he WILL eventually get used to it, and all he'll want after wards is a thick neck

Like on my Special II, the neck was very awkward and not comfortable, but now it's amazingly comfortable. Only problem is the high action, falling apart hardware, and even worse pickups :p

Like, the Jackson I'm getting (DK2S, SL3 soloist, or KE3) neck is rather big for my hands right now, but I haven't even gone through my growth spurt, and I'm 100% sure that within a week, or two at most after buying it the neck'll feel like second nature to me.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by wizzywozzy
Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about the C-7 hellraiser

I don't think I could offorf the loomis though, as it's about £700ish
EDIT; forget that, they're like the same price... whats the differances between them/which would be best suited for me?

The Loomis neck is about an inch longer than most necks (26.5, most are 25.5 or 24.7) to give it slightly more spacing between the frets for bigger hands. It has Ultra Access, which the Hellraiser doesn't, definately a big plus. It has a Maple neck with a Maple fingerboard, while the Hellraiser has a 3 piece mahogany neck with rosewood finger board (The Hellraiser has a darker, warmer tone, while the Loomis although way brighter, has much more bite and sharpness. Good for what you play, if you can compensate for the brightness with bass through your amp/new pickups). I'd get the Loomis, because it seems much better built to me, and it has tons more sharpness/bite than the C-7 Hellraiser, which is great for Chugga-chugga riffs.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Quote by V.U.K
The Loomis neck is about an inch longer than most necks (26.5, most are 25.5 or 24.7) to give it slightly more spacing between the frets for bigger hands. It has Ultra Access, which the Hellraiser doesn't, definately a big plus. It has a Maple neck with a Maple fingerboard, while the Hellraiser has a 3 piece mahogany neck with rosewood finger board (The Hellraiser has a darker, warmer tone, while the Loomis although way brighter, has much more bite and sharpness. Good for what you play, if you can compensate for the brightness with bass through your amp/new pickups). I'd get the Loomis, because it seems much better built to me, and it has tons more sharpness/bite than the C-7 Hellraiser, which is great for Chugga-chugga riffs.

... whats ultra access?
or do you just mean the bigger frets?
& according to the schecter website, they both have ultra access..

&& which would give me the best carcassy (heartwork) or cannibal corpse tone?
cause thats the kinda sound I want to go for
EDIT: forget that, misread what you said, yeah, I think I could get some bass on it through my 5150 :P

Only problem is, I can't find any retailers that sell them loomis in the UK...

I think I'll probably have to go with the hellraiser
Oi you...

Yeah you

Quote by wizzywozzy
... whats ultra access?
or do you just mean the bigger frets?
& according to the schecter website, they both have ultra access..

&& which would give me the best carcassy (heartwork) or cannibal corpse tone?
cause thats the kinda sound I want to go for
EDIT: forget that, misread what you said, yeah, I think I could get some bass on it through my 5150 :P

Only problem is, I can't find any retailers that sell them loomis in the UK...

Ultra Access, is just the area around the top frets, where the horns are has been carved into to give you the easiest possible access to the highest frets.

Have you clicked find a dealer on the schecter website? They may have something.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Could I get the same sound as the loomis + bassy eq on the amp with the c-7 hellraiser with a high eq on the amp?

& Can you do the 18v mod on 707's?
Oi you...

Yeah you