Hey guys, I'm looking for a better guitar. (aren't we all?)
I'm pretty picky. I want:
-H-S-H or H-S-S passive pickups (IDC about pickup quality, they will be replaced anyway)
-A NON-LOCKING tremolo with the same "range" as a Floyd.
-Preferably strat body, don't really care though. No "crazy"/"spikey" shapes (V's, Warlocks, etc.)
-24 Frets. It shouldn't be a big deal, but it is. My OCD makes me NEED that high E note up there.
-Bolt-on neck
-I don't know much about nuts, but I want a solid, durable one that won't grip the strings too badly. I've had too much experience with bad nuts.
-Nothing from Rondo Music or other online vendors. I don't have a credit card. When I did, I lost money for no apparent reason. I don't order online anymore.

-Under $400. 500 max (well, not ABSOLUTE max, but I don't wanna spend a lot). If I wanted something expensive, I'd just go to a custom shop!

It shouldn't be that hard, but I've looked at Fenders, Ibanezes, Jacksons, Schecters, etc. and haven't found the right one

Oh and I play all sorts of music. Rock, punk, metal, blues, jazz, some country, some of everything. Mostly Van Halen-ish stuff, if it matters.
A non-locking trem with Floyd range? You'll have real problems keeping in tune.

What type(s) of music do you play?
Locking tuners and lubed nuts? The main problem with Floyds is that if I break a string onstage, I have to stop the show for a long time to get back in tune.
Edit: Nah, that idea sucked and didn't have 24 frets.
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Dec 31, 2008,
I was about to say ibanez SV5470, which i have and fits all your requirements.

But it's $1400 so i don't know.
Quote by Nexium
Ive accidently busted my nut.
No , they do exactly what they say , they lock the string so it can't get out of tune.
Nothing that has floyd range and dosn't have a locking nut stays in tune.
Why don't you like a locking tremolo if you don't eaven know how the locking nut works?
Godin Freeway is DANGEROUSLY close, but it has 22 frets
Shame, great guitar.
Quote by Zecromancer
Locking tuners and lubed nuts? The main problem with Floyds is that if I break a string onstage, I have to stop the show for a long time to get back in tune.

That would be a problem with any tremolo, apart from maybe a Bigsby.
I've heard about difficulties attatching 24-fret necks onto strat bodies.

Just for the record, I OWN a H-S-S Strat, and I made a thread about putting a 24 fret nefck on

Edit: I DO know how locking nuts work, and I don't want to go to the trouble of re-tuning a guitar with one during a gig. In my past experiences working with locking nuts, I always go a little bit out of tune even if I just take the bottom lock off to replace a string. And then there's the issue of changing tunings during a gig.

With a non-locking tremolo just replace/tune the string, and it's all good.
Last edited by Zecromancer at Dec 31, 2008,
I'm 99% sure ibanez has something that you'll like
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
You could build a guitar out of Warmoth parts for about 400-500 dollars. You'd have to re-rout the neck pickup cavity, though. Neck pickups generally have their first coil EXACTLY where the 24th fret would be.
ur one fussy guitar player
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Edit, to the guy above me: Yeah, I know. bad OCD. I'm like that about EVERYTHING, not just guitars.

Wouldn't that be similar to putting a 24-fret neck on my strat? I've heard that can potentially create MAJOR intonation problems. I'm not sure about the specific stuff, but I've heard it's bad.

And that Ibanez SV5470 sure looks sexy. Perfect. Is there a cheaper version of it...?
so you want the trem to move both up and down? If you do, when you change tunings it will be the same as a flyod rose, and it will need to be re-set up. but since you have one guitar already, use that for one tuning and your new one for another tuning. Problem solved?
You simply can't have a Floyd-range trem without a locking nut. That's why they even exist in the first place, rather than just using locking tuners. It's simply a necessity if you want to stay in tune.
Quote by Zecromancer
Wouldn't that be similar to putting a 24-fret neck on my strat? I've heard that can potentially create MAJOR intonation problems. I'm not sure about the specific stuff, but I've heard it's bad.

The scale length must remain the same.

If you plan to do that, you need a neck which will have an extended fretboard, rather than a longer neck. That way, the neck still fits in the pocket, and the scale length is the same. However, you have to move your neck pickup back.

Warmoth sell 24-fret replacement necks for strats. They explain all that here:
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=fretboard_extension

So basically, it can be done, but it needs woodworking.
Quote by Zecromancer
Edit, to the guy above me: Yeah, I know. bad OCD. I'm like that about EVERYTHING, not just guitars.

And that Ibanez SV5470 sure looks sexy. Perfect. Is there a cheaper version of it...?

A change in scale length might cause problems in intonation I guess, and after a point of scale change, you might have to move the bridge slightly. That would be ok on a TOM bridge or something, but not with a floyd... I can't see it being that drastic though, tbh.
For the trem you'll want a Wilkinson with a roller nut.
Ibanez SA series seems to be very close.
Quote by eki107
Ibanez GRG 170DX?

That cheap thing seems like the best bet so far. If I REALLY can't handle the tuning stability, I guess I'll just have to go with soemthing with a Floyd. Thanks.

Edit: and so does that Warmoth neck. I'll look into them both. Thanks again.
Last edited by Zecromancer at Dec 31, 2008,
Closest I can think of would be the Musicman John Petrucci Sig. But it's >$1500. I think there's a cheap OLP version but it probably sucks.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Ibanez SA260FM.

/thread

Seriously, the only thing it doesn't have in your list is the last two frets.