So I have this chord proression:

Em - Ebdim - C#madd9 - Fmaj#11 - Em

The tonic chord appears to be Em, but what exactly am I (theoretically) doing? Why does this chord progression (to me, anyway) sound good?

The chords are played like this, by the way:

|---7--|--5--|--4--|--8--|
|---8--|--7--|--5--|--12-|
|---9--|--5--|--8--|--9--|
|---9--|--7--|--6--|--10-|
|---7--|--6--|--4--|--8--|
|------|-----|-----|-----|
Quote by michal23
78 views and not a single person knows D=

I don't think the key is E minor, as you have E, Eb, and F, meaning it's some form of chromaticism. It resolves to E though. I honestly have no clue to your question, although IMO, the last two chords sound out of place. So take this post as a free bump
The second one seems more like D#dim to me...

The bass play some sort of melodic minor descending, but in the wrong way, plus a minor second, maybe to add more tension to it.
Although the resolution doesn't sound that strong to me, so maybe it dwells in some sort of modulation, but I can't say...
first 2 chords are E harmonic minor, then it sounds like you have a modulation to C# minor, and the last chord is just totally random 0_o a C# minor add9 to an F? anyways if id have to guess the last chord would be a modulation to F Lydian

probably easier to just call it chromatic lol
Last edited by Morgray at Jan 1, 2009,
Em - Ebdim - C#madd9 - Fmaj#11 - Em=

Im VIIdim VIm add9 bIImaj #11

the 1st to chords belong to E minor (harmonic) the 3rd chord is found in E major the last chord looks like a tri-tone substitution of B7 , its relationship to E would is found in the E phyrgian modal scale .

|---7--|--5--|--4--|--8--| 
|---8--|--7--|--5--|--12-|
|---9--|--5--|--8--|--9--|
|---9--|--7--|--6--|--10-|
|---7--|--6--|--4--|--8--|
|------|-----|-----|-----| 

in the key of Eminor the 6th want to fall to the 5th , and the last chord resolves back to the 1st in part by doing this . you have chosen these notes for the e string and they create the leading melody.
on the B string you have a chromatic descending line which falls froms from F# to E which is a commonly used progression in advanced songwriting .
by using the long stretch on the 3rd chord , you create a movement from D# to E
which is a strong harmonic movement with the key , infact its one of the few times that a semi tone sounds more resolved by ascending .
The D string harmonise the melody by an octave on the last to chords emphasising the momement of the b6 to the 5th infact it do this harmony for all four chords .
The A string creates a sense of movement by descending through the major scale , but instead of reach the 5th , and more natural choice , you choose the bII ( a tri-tone substitution . )

i hope this helps you , best wishes