OK, my set-up is in my sig. Here's my question, is having your gain set to incredible levels the only way to get decent sustain??!! I can get my notes to hold worth crap unless i put my Crunch box through my drive channel both with their gain set at about 12 o'clock and the volume on the crunch box set at like 2 o 'clock, and at that point, the distortion is so ridiculous that it's not even funny.

i can get pretty good sustain on lower gain settings with single notes, but if i try to bend i'm screwed. At first i thot it was my technique, but i sat there and watched my bends and i know that they were spot on.

anyway, thanks for the help!

Sam

EDIT
i added a video down below
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Dec 31, 2008,
What's the volume on your amp?
Try playing at a higher volume level.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
rapidly vibrato instead of bending?

and what user above me said
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
try turnig your amp up and pedal volumes down and vice versa
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
Quote by darkarbiter7
What's the volume on your amp?
Try playing at a higher volume level.

i tried that, went as high as 1 o'clock on the clean channel, then added a bit of gain from my crunchbox and i could get pretty good sustain on normal notes, but it all died out when i tried to bend
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by 6_Feet_Below
try turnig your amp up and pedal volumes down and vice versa

yup did that too
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by PeachWater
Make sure your volume knobs are at a high setting. When they're lower, you're cutting your signal to your amp, taking a toll on the quality of your sustain. That seems to happen to me, anyway.

Edit: Volume knobs on your guitar.

yea, i kept everything at 10
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
If its only in bending maybe you need to work on bending technique? Try vibrato on top of the bend and make sure you aren't choking out your bends
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
If its only in bending maybe you need to work on bending technique? Try vibrato on top of the bend and make sure you aren't choking out your bends

+1.
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by Bloodshed

well, when i bend and it the sustain dies, it dies out naturally, and when i'm bending up, the whole time i have my fingers firmly holding the string down.

i do need to work on my bend + vibrato tho
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
What guitar do you have and has it been setup properly?

Could be a truss rod or bridge height issue and the strings are choking out on the frets also pickups to close to the strings can cause sustain issues.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
What guitar do you have and has it been setup properly?

Could be a truss rod or bridge height issue and the strings are choking out on the frets also pickups to close to the strings can cause sustain issues.

fender american deluxe fat strat, and i am basically certain that it is set-up properly. i'll take it into my local shop and ask tho.

you know...it may just be me wanting more sustain than a guitar normally puts out. but i dont think so. i would post a video, but im going to have to leave in a bit. i might do that later tho.

thanks for y'all's help!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
fender american deluxe fat strat, and i am basically certain that it is set-up properly. i'll take it into my local shop and ask tho.

you know...it may just be me wanting more sustain than a guitar normally puts out. but i dont think so. i would post a video, but im going to have to leave in a bit. i might do that later tho.

thanks for y'all's help!

A video would help out alot... Also add in some shots on the front and side of the neck and bridge so I can have a quick look at the setup.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
A video would help out alot... Also add in some shots on the front and side of the neck and bridge so I can have a quick look at the setup.

k, ill have one up in about 15mins...it will be shot through my web ca on my mac, but that's the ebst i can do for now lol
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
sorry for the wait, it's comign tho. my computer wanted to screw with me
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
i agree with whoever above said a setup issue. youre notes could be gtting choked out
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by hoondog
i agree with whoever above said a setup issue. youre notes could be gtting choked out

what would a bad setup look like? my neck is straight, my pickups appear to be at a good height, and my string is about a millimeter of the next fret when i hold it down. so it's not buzzing. wouldnt a bad setup be pretty obvious?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
what would a bad setup look like? my neck is straight, my pickups appear to be at a good height, and my string is about a millimeter of the next fret when i hold it down. so it's not buzzing. wouldnt a bad setup be pretty obvious?

Actually a bad setup doesnt always jump right out at ya..

1) Neck shouldn't be straight it should have a bit of an arc to it
2) Does the bridge match the radius of the neck
3) You have to do more then just hold a string down to tell. Its best to have some feeler gauges and a capo handy. Theres quite a few tests you do from the first fret to the last when it comes to setups
4) Are you sure the pickups are the right height have you mesaured them and tested them
5) What is the over all string height
6) What is the the height of the nut

So theres a few things, that needs to be checked... It can get complicated when you do a full setup. So if you have never done one your pretty much looking at a guitar with strings and saying ehh it looks good to go.
i regularly tighten down the bolts to the neck of my strat. you would be surprised at how loose they can get, and how quickly. that helps with sustain.
some people will use a compression pedal to add illusion of more sustain.
at the end of the day, some guitars have more sustain.

you can try adding mass to your guitar, thats the only real way to add real sustain to the guitar.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by bored_maniac33
OK! finally! here is the dang video!
click here

Its your setup man its chokin...

Due to the radius on a Fender neck you action needs to be higher then what it is so the strings don't choke while making large bends. Example the flatter the board the lower you can set the action without choking.

Also it looks like your truss rod is affecting it as well as the bridge. Bridge wise raising the strings for the action and matching up the radius better. Truss rod needs to have the correct bow as well to help with chokin on the 12-22 frets.
Looks like the bridge might be leaning back VERY slightly, and yeah the action probably needs to be higher. Also, try lowering your pickup height by about a millimeter (at least on the neck and middle pickups), it should help some.

*watches again* Lower your middle pickup to the same height as your bridge pickup. It's WAY too close to the strings. I'm hearing warbling that's a sure sign of magnetic interference from the pickups. Tip: Steve Vai has his middle pickup almost level with his pickguard (although he also uses a Fernandez sustainer pickup for most of his amazing sustain).
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by Shinozoku
Looks like the bridge might be leaning back VERY slightly, and yeah the action probably needs to be higher. Also, try lowering your pickup height by about a millimeter (at least on the neck and middle pickups), it should help some.

*watches again* Lower your middle pickup to the same height as your bridge pickup. It's WAY too close to the strings. I'm hearing warbling that's a sure sign of magnetic interference from the pickups. Tip: Steve Vai has his middle pickup almost level with his pickguard (although he also uses a Fernandez sustainer pickup for most of his amazing sustain).

+1

Forgot to mention that your middle pickup was a bit high...
thanks y'all for the help. i lowered the neck and middle pickups to about the same height as the bridge, but it didn't really change much. i guess ill just take it in friday and tell the guy who does the repairs and such what y'all said. he usually does a good job, but last time he set this guitar up ( i was moving from 11's to 10's) he did really quick because my girlfriend was picking up for me as a Christmas surprise.

anyways, thanks!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Ok so i went and checked it out. it aint the guitar. i tried everything. the guitar is fine. i really just needed more gain. the pickups did need lowering and that fixed the warbling and all, but i tried multiple guitars on the same settings and they all had the same problems.

signal + gain = sustain like i want i guess.

thanks for all of your help tho!!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by ShredGod George
your guitars beautiful/amazing

thanks i love it. i'm going to put a review up of it within the next week or so if you want subscribe to my youtube account
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Hey, what cables are you using? A better cable (DiMarzio, Spectraflex, Monster, etc.) might help.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Hey, what cables are you using? A better cable (DiMarzio, Spectraflex, Monster, etc.) might help.

yea two of my cables ( a total of three, 2 patches and one 10ft NICE cable) suck, but it's really just the amount of gain i'm using. i've got it worked out now.

thanks!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Your guitar probably needs to be setup. The action may be too low or you could need a fret job. You could try tweaking the truss rod. I've had this happen to me and just started messing around with stuff on my guitar and I think the problem I had was my action was too low.
^ He just had it set up

TS: Awesome you got everything cleared up Also, look into that vibrato stuff, it'll help a bit to supplement the saturation

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
^ He just had it set up

TS: Awesome you got everything cleared up Also, look into that vibrato stuff, it'll help a bit to supplement the saturation

LOL. I didn't notice there was a second page. I love the guitar by the way.
40ppp ftw

Stupid name.

Video made me lolirl.

Glad you got the issue fixed up.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."