I have an Epiphone 100, which has a bolt on neck. Is it possible to get it professionally "set" or glued, to give it a better sound, or is that just not a procedure people do?

Doug.
no. the neck is built to be bolt on, there isnt enough surface area for the glue to stick to. besides, the difference in tone is really minimal, and its not really "better" or "worse"...it has more to do with sustain.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Thanks for the reply. It's not something I was looking to do soon, but I DID read somewhere that one of the requirements to get the classic LP sound off of a non-gibson LP was that you should have a "SET" neck. I can live without out it...thanks, Doug.
tell me ur joking

billy mays...pfft...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by eurotrashed
I have used mighty putty with great success:

Many a guitar I have cleaned with a mixture of oxy clean and water.
Quote by TinyRivers
Thanks for the reply. It's not something I was looking to do soon, but I DID read somewhere that one of the requirements to get the classic LP sound off of a non-gibson LP was that you should have a "SET" neck. I can live without out it...thanks, Doug.

The difference in tone would not be noticeable.

To get the "true LP tone" you should get LP hardware and LP pickups. That will get you about as close as you can go.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər

To get the "true LP tone" you should get LP hardware and LP pickups. That will get you about as close as you can go.

Slowly but surely. I picked up a used 496R (neck pup), sounds awesome, and still need $$ to buy a used 500T (bridge pup). I also upgraded the tuners, as the originals were just horrible. I'll eventually get a bone nut, but so far the rest of the gear seems good to go.

Thanks all for the info...Doug.
I have an old 100, and yeah replacing the hardware and such is the best option. I replaced everything with gold hardware, tuners, bridge, tailpiece, all gibson. I put in dimarzio pickups as well. The only thing that makes this a LP100 is the body and neck, witch i actually like because it isn't as heavy as a Gibson LP studio... I also have an epi LP standard, the 100 is better...
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by Øttər
Who's doug?

Guy from oxy-clean and mighty putty infomercials.

THEY GUY IN THE PIC ^^^^^

I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by TinyRivers
I have an Epiphone 100, which has a bolt on neck. Is it possible to get it professionally "set" or glued, to give it a better sound, or is that just not a procedure people do?

Doug.
If you glued in a bolt-on neck then all you'd be doing would be adding a layer of glue that will severely dampen the tone.

And either way, a really good bolt-on neck join is generally considered better than a setneck or neck-through (though of course a bad bolt-on is the worst thing you can have).

Quote by Øttər

Not really. If you got exactly the same hardware and electronics as a regular LP and put them on a non-LP guitar (with the LP-100 might as well be), you're not going to sound anything like a real LP... you're just going to sound like an LP-100 which has been arbitrarily upgraded.

A better way to go is to work out your guitar's existing tonal properties compared to a usual LP (is it brighter, darker, does it respond dynamically in the same way, etc) and then select upgrades that will compromise for those differences.

E.g. if your guitar naturally sounds brighter than a usual LP then putting a usual LP's pickups in it will still leave it sounding brighter - so really it'd be better to buy different, naturally darker-voiced pickups than can compensate for that brightness your guitar already has.

There's much more to choosing good upgrades than just "some better guitar has it so it must be good".
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Good point, I never thought about it that way.

Do what MrFlibble says, I think he makes more sense .
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Hardware has little to do with a guitar's tone, anyway. It's mostly about pickups and wood. And your vol/tone config to a lesser extent.

Adding a layer of glue in the neck pocket isn't going to "severely" dampen the tone. It won't make it any better, but the difference is negligible to most peoples' ears (see: power of suggestion).

You can get just as good sustain from a well-made bolt-on as from a set neck. If the neck pocket has a tight fit on the neck, it'll transfer the body vibrations much more efficiently.

I realized that some (or all) of that may sound opinionated, but those are my beliefs. I tend to reject wagoners until I've tried it myself, so this is all a matter of opinion, really.
Quote by MrFlibble
If you glued in a bolt-on neck then all you'd be doing would be adding a layer of glue that will severely dampen the tone.

And either way, a really good bolt-on neck join is generally considered better than a setneck or neck-through (though of course a bad bolt-on is the worst thing you can have).

Not really. If you got exactly the same hardware and electronics as a regular LP and put them on a non-LP guitar (with the LP-100 might as well be), you're not going to sound anything like a real LP... you're just going to sound like an LP-100 which has been arbitrarily upgraded.

A better way to go is to work out your guitar's existing tonal properties compared to a usual LP (is it brighter, darker, does it respond dynamically in the same way, etc) and then select upgrades that will compromise for those differences.

E.g. if your guitar naturally sounds brighter than a usual LP then putting a usual LP's pickups in it will still leave it sounding brighter - so really it'd be better to buy different, naturally darker-voiced pickups than can compensate for that brightness your guitar already has.

There's much more to choosing good upgrades than just "some better guitar has it so it must be good".

+1

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Hardware does make a difference, I swapped my original tuners for schaller lockers and they have more mass than the old ones and the 1st thing I noticed besides tuning stability was more tone. I have also swapped sustain blocks from 1 bridge to another on strat style guitars to get more tone out of them. Most set necks are also crafted with a tenon that fits into the body further than the neck pocket to make it more kind of one piece with 2 advantages tone and strength. I have glued what was a bolt on ibanez neck into a custom body with great success but it took some planning and good curing temps for the glue to set correctly.
94 Epi LP. Thin 335 style neck Schaller locking tuners Dimarzio PAF PRO (bridge) Gibson 57 re-issue (neck)
You will find the bolt neck of the LP100 has better upper fret access than the set neck standard model. Also the neck is thinner. Mine still has the original bridge and stopbar, I did replace the junk tuners on it. And the pickups are way to hot for cheap ones. I had a set of humbucker sized p90s laying around and put em in. I also got rid of the neck plate and used the recessed ferrules. Plays just as good as my standard model and is lighter. But your not going to really get the tone of a full weight, thickness, set neck LP with it. They can be decent guitars with a little work tho.
Thanks for the info folks. For the time being, I'll simply finish swapping the pups and enjoy what I've got. It does seem like a pretty decent guitar. Bought it used for $150 Canadian, and put about that much in it again. Between this guitar and my korean strat I can get two equally different and awesome sounds through the two channels of my RG-80...thanks again folks...Doug.
Is the body mahogany? I think that makes more of a difference than alot of people give it credit...
if not you could make a new body maybe?
Quote by jimRH7
Is the body mahogany? I think that makes more of a difference than alot of people give it credit...
if not you could make a new body maybe?

Body and neck are both Mahogany

Here's the spec's...

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=42&CollectionID=6

Mine is a Heritage Cherry Sunburst.
The original pups in it (or atleast what was in it when I bought it second-hand) were loud, but noisier than I liked. They are made by Samsung-which leads me to believe they may have been actually HotTone pups???. Anyway, just replacing the neck pup was enough to bring me around to a more pleasing sound.

She doesn't look quite as nice as a real Gibson Les Paul, but she ain't bad...Doug.
Last edited by TinyRivers at Jan 2, 2009,