I recieved a Lyon Washburn electric guitar for Christmas, but it has some issues. The strings are so close to the fretboard that they're hitting the fret dividers, so whenever I hit a string or hold down a note in frets 1-5 there's always a buzzing noise making it impossible for me to play anything. And for some bizarre reason, the notes in frets 4 and 5 make exactly the same sound...no difference at all.

Can someone tell me what is wrong with this and is there anything I can do to fix it?
i would take it to guitar center or just adjust your truss rod
Ibanez SR500
Raise your action. There should be two thumb screws on either side of the bridge.
like said, you start at the bridge.

for a picture, check the green link in my sig. there's probably a picture in the first post, looks like your bridge style.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
like said, you start at the bridge.

for a picture, check the green link in my sig. there's probably a picture in the first post, looks like your bridge style.

I see, thanks. It's in the strat style. How high can it be raised? I'm afraid it's just going to pop off.
well, strat style, there's a picture for that. you ned a tiny allen wrench.
two pegs on each saddle raise and lower to adjust each string.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Before you adjust things, why don't you try to determine the cause of the buzzing? Your description seems to indicate when you play a note on frets 4 or 5 the note doesn't change? It sounds like either the strings are too low, your neck is out of adjustment seriously or even a fret (>5) is rising out of it's slot or the crowns are uneven. There are some decent set-up posts here and even some good ones on the web that will show you how to assess your guitars setup and correct it if required. Without seeing exactly what's going on, no one here can tell you for sure what the issue is, only point out possibilities.
Moving on.....
I'm getting there. It doesn't look very neat, but I have four strings that are okay now. It's just the 4th and the 5th. They have two screws that are slightly tilted when I screw them in, and as a result they will not budge once they hit the metal.