So I've had a Digitech RP3 multieffects board for about 8 months now, but I'm starting to think its affecting my guitar's natural tone plus its really annoying to try and get the sound you want because there are so many variables. I'm thinking about trading it in and spending some cash on individual pedals, but I wanted to hear what you guys thought first
Guitars
Fender American Strat
Gibson SG

Amps & Effects

Fender Superchamp XD
Digitech RP-3
Boss SD-1
can't beat a Multi for variety, but single pedals have better tone as long as you get good ones. There's alot of cheaper single pedals that don't sound as good as my POD XT Live, but I find that once you get into the $100 price range the POD starts to take a beating in the tone department.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
digital modelling sounds bad compared to a strat valve amp and a few boss pedals in front/in the middle/behind it
i personally prefer single stomp boxes for the ease of individual control
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
have an rp90 im ery glad with it but, im starting to erh, realize, single pedals are better.
one of the downsides of this is when i have 2 presets next to eachother, one is delay and one is whammy.
and i change preset, the delay is suddenly 100% while the pedal is not moved in that way, i need to move it to 100% and back to switch it off first with makes fast switching annoying.

sorry for the language im still learning english...
Yeah, I really like the individual control of the pedals the only downside I can see is the pricetag. I was thinking about getting a distortion and a crybaby and then just getting the rest down the road, so with the multieffects i have all that now but I take a huge hit on my tone
Guitars
Fender American Strat
Gibson SG

Amps & Effects

Fender Superchamp XD
Digitech RP-3
Boss SD-1
I'm all about the stompboxes.

You get higher-quality effects, and ease-of-use with 'em. Unless you want like 13 at once, whereas the multi-fx wins out with the presets option.
Aside from the BOSS GT series, I'm yet to find a multi effects that stands up to alot of single pedals.

Stomp Boxes are essentially the best tone you'll find (when you find new ones. Trust companies like Digitech, BOSS, Electro-Harmonix)

But usually a good stomp box is better than any multi effects pedal.

at least as far as I've seen.
Quote by NaivexLi
Aside from the BOSS GT series, I'm yet to find a multi effects that stands up to alot of single pedals.

Stomp Boxes are essentially the best tone you'll find (when you find new ones. Trust companies like Digitech, BOSS,

Are you serious?
Quote by flashmdg
digital modelling sounds bad compared to a strat valve amp and a few boss pedals in front/in the middle/behind it

You've obviously NEVER played through an Axe-FX
Quote by NaivexLi

Stomp Boxes are essentially the best tone you'll find (when you find new ones. Trust companies like Digitech, BOSS, Electro-Harmonix)

But usually a good stomp box is better than any multi effects pedal.

at least as far as I've seen.

Let me be of assistance then... Have a look/listen to one of these when you get a chance:

TC Electronic G-System

I don't know....right now I'm trying to decide whether I should get a Holy Stain or just a LBM...
Quote by Hakanku
I once went in to a public restroom and George Michael approached me for sex. True Story.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
You can always go with a rack setup

That is what I did... way more upside, then down, IMO

Quote by IbanezPsycho
I'm starting on mine now...

What are you going to be using in it?
Quote by zachman5150

That is what I did... way more upside, then down, IMO

What are you going to be using in it?

Actually still debating that... I just purchased a Digitech S200 to mess around with and already on hand is my furman and skb case. Im probably gonna go with T.C. Major for the effects if the S200 doesnt work out and a Isp Pro Rack G is gonna be a must. I also want to get ahold of a ADA MP1, Sansamp and Mesa Quad preamp to mess around with. Havent thought to much about it though just started toying with the idea.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Actually still debating that... I just purchased a Digitech S200 to mess around with and already on hand is my furman and skb case. Im probably gonna go with T.C. Major for the effects if the S200 doesnt work out and a Isp Pro Rack G is gonna be a must. I also want to get ahold of a ADA MP1, Sansamp and Mesa Quad preamp to mess around with. Havent thought to much about it though just started toying with the idea.

Right on... Well, BEST of luck on the project. It'll be a fun and educational ride.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Thanks man, should be fun

Most definitely, it'll be cool.

My big rig, is a w/d/w, multi-amp switching rig (I can switch up to 4 heads through the same cabinet-- one at a time, via a Custom Audio Electronics Amp Selector). I use a combination of analog pedals in front of which ever head is selected, via a Custom Audio Electronics Custom Switcher, which routes my signal in parallel to my digital rack processors, via a Custom Audio Electronics Dual Stereo Line Mixer.

It eliminates the need to tap dance on a zillion pedals, and allows me to focus on playing without the noise issues that can happen w/ a ton of pedals and provides the tonal versatility and flexibility that I like.

The only downside to the Big rig is that it's big and heavy, but than God for casters, and my taste in gear is expensive (unfortunately), but the results-when done right are marvelous.

For small gigs I use different stuff, but for studio session work and larger concert gigs it's the bomb.

Might I suggest that you go HERE and read EVERYTHING... before you start spending money on gear. It'll likely give you ideas that you wouldn't have come up with otherwise, and help w/ the process of designing your rig-ensuring you do it "RIGHT" the 1st time.
Last edited by zachman5150 at Dec 31, 2008,
I have the Digitech RP50 and i was thinking about the same thing because I have single effects as well and they don't really alter the natural tone like the RP50 i might get a nice Boss Loop pedal or a MXR 10-Band EQ
Oh Hey look at my signature
To Zachman's huge rig pics:
Holy Sh*t! That is an awesome rig, man...

You, sir, get the award for the best rig
Quote by Hakanku
I once went in to a public restroom and George Michael approached me for sex. True Story.
Quote by Blitzraptor007
To Zachman's huge rig pics:
Holy Sh*t! That is an awesome rig, man...

You, sir, get the award for the best rig

Thanks... I like it.
Quote by zachman5150
Thanks... I like it.

Zachman what band are you in!? Seriously!

My only beef with a rack rig is that most of my pedals have either multiple switches or expression outs, so I have no idea how I would control it.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Zachman what band are you in!? Seriously!

My only beef with a rack rig is that most of my pedals have either multiple switches or expression outs, so I have no idea how I would control it.

I play w/ a few different bands, and do studio session work.

Ya, for dealing with pedals, as you describe-- I know guys who have chosen to have their pedals on the floor, plugged into a loop switcher, allowing for MIDI control of the pedals for preset changes, in order to eliminate or drastically reduce the amount of tap dancing they did previously AND reduce the capacitive build up that results from running several pedals.

Like so--

Running stuff that way does tend to reduce the noise of a system, and stabilize the levels when kicking on/off several pedals and another benefit is that if a connection goes bad, be it a pedal, cable, or connection, it doesn't render the rig useless until the problem is found-- because when you turn off the pedal, you're not really turning it off, rather are physically removing it from the signal chain.
Last edited by zachman5150 at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by zachman5150
I play w/ a few different bands, and do studio session work.

Ya, for dealing with pedals, as you describe-- I know guys who have chosen to have their pedals on the floor, plugged into a loop switcher, allowing for MIDI control of the pedals for preset changes, in order to eliminate or drastically reduce the amount of tap dancing they did previously AND reduce the capacitive build up that results from running several pedals.

Like so--

Running stuff that way does tend to reduce the noise of a system, and stabilize the levels when kicking on/off several pedals and another benefit is that if a connection goes bad, be it a pedal, cable, or connection, it doesn't render the rig useless until the problem is found-- because when you turn off the pedal, you're not really turning it off, rather are physically removing it from the signal chain.

I've thought of doing this, to regain levels, as I've got 10 effing FX and growing... I want to get a 10 band EQ (might just go with a rack EQ), my delay pedal comes in on friday, and than I want a POG or a Microsynth... so as you can imagine its not alot of single use pedals...

My rig is- Guitar-Tuner-Wah-Comp-Overdrive-Distortion-DejaVibe-Volume pedal-Amp and I've got a Pitchshifter-Flanger-Delay ( in the future I want to have the Pog/synth before the shifter) so... The problem being my Wah is expression based, the dejavibe's speed control is controlled by the foot, as the volume is too. The pitchshifter uses an expression, and the Delay does as well. So ... you think one of those pedals from loopmaster would work>
Quote by Highwaytohell
I've thought of doing this, to regain levels, as I've got 10 effing FX and growing... I want to get a 10 band EQ (might just go with a rack EQ), my delay pedal comes in on friday, and than I want a POG or a Microsynth... so as you can imagine its not alot of single use pedals...

My rig is- Guitar-Tuner-Wah-Comp-Overdrive-Distortion-DejaVibe-Volume pedal-Amp and I've got a Pitchshifter-Flanger-Delay ( in the future I want to have the Pog/synth before the shifter) so... The problem being my Wah is expression based, the dejavibe's speed control is controlled by the foot, as the volume is too. The pitchshifter uses an expression, and the Delay does as well. So ... you think one of those pedals from loopmaster would work>

Depending on how many expression pedal ports you get, depends on what your manufacturing options are w/ Loopmaster-- I am not sure what they will do via their custom shop. You could, but that is 5 expression pedals on the floor, including your pedal board w/ everything else, and that can take up a lot of real estate. (Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely something worth considering, if you'll be gigging regularly at places that are small to medium sized venues).
Quote by zachman5150

My big rig, is a w/d/w, multi-amp switching rig (I can switch up to 4 heads through the same cabinet-- one at a time, via a Custom Audio Electronics Amp Selector). I use a combination of analog pedals in front of which ever head is selected, via a Custom Audio Electronics Custom Switcher, which routes my signal in parallel to my digital rack processors, via a Custom Audio Electronics Dual Stereo Line Mixer.

It eliminates the need to tap dance on a zillion pedals, and allows me to focus on playing without the noise issues that can happen w/ a ton of pedals and provides the tonal versatility and flexibility that I like.

The only downside to the Big rig is that it's big and heavy, but than God for casters, and my taste in gear is expensive (unfortunately), but the results-when done right are marvelous.

For small gigs I use different stuff, but for studio session work and larger concert gigs it's the bomb.

Might I suggest that you go HERE and read EVERYTHING... before you start spending money on gear. It'll likely give you ideas that you wouldn't have come up with otherwise, and help w/ the process of designing your rig-ensuring you do it "RIGHT" the 1st time.

Love the rig man

And thanks for the link, Ill check it out when I get some time.
Quote by zachman5150

Dude! I just watched the demos of that rig on YouTube when I searched Custom Audio Electronics. You've got an amazing setup. You're tone was killer.
Quote by zachman5150
Depending on how many expression pedal ports you get, depends on what your manufacturing options are w/ Loopmaster-- I am not sure what they will do via their custom shop. You could, but that is 5 expression pedals on the floor, including your pedal board w/ everything else, and that can take up a lot of real estate. (Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely something worth considering, if you'll be gigging regularly at places that are small to medium sized venues).

Hmm def will look into getting a 6 space, a furman for now. I think i'll get a shelve for my other fx
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Love the rig man

And thanks for the link, Ill check it out when I get some time.

Thanks...
Quote by mmolteratx
Dude! I just watched the demos of that rig on YouTube when I searched Custom Audio Electronics. You've got an amazing setup. You're tone was killer.

Oh cool... Thanks, I appreciate the kind words...
Quote by zachman5150
Let me be of assistance then... Have a look/listen to one of these when you get a chance:

TC Electronic G-System

Honestly

I applaud you for showing me this

I may have to give it a chance sometime.

Although...I'm mostly a simple 2 pedal kind of guy.
That kind of thing is usually a bit over me, haha.

But that... looks pretty damn impressive and I'll be putting more research into it.
Quote by NaivexLi
Honestly

I applaud you for showing me this

I may have to give it a chance sometime.

Although...I'm mostly a simple 2 pedal kind of guy.
That kind of thing is usually a bit over me, haha.

But that... looks pretty damn impressive and I'll be putting more research into it.

Quote by zachman5150

I see a marshall guv'nor in there! w00t! sorry im madly in love with that pedal... great tone for the guitarist who cant afford the real deal.