I'll delve right into the heart of it.

Anyways, a friend of mine had his father recently put into a nursing home, on the account that his father has had a catheter put into his body, and as such has had many recent UTI infections. These infections have left him weak, and as such he's been placed in these places for the primary purpose of rehabilitation.

However, this has been going on the past few months, and Medicare is going to stop payment in a few days because his father has used up the 100 days of skilled nursing allowed by medicare.

This presents the dilemma to my friend and his mother. His mother and his father are separated by about 20 years of age (His mom in her mid-sixties, his father in his late eighties) and his father's only means of revenue is social security and his Ari Force retirement pension, which both equal about $2600 per month. His insurance provides two options for his father: Either his father shows progress in his rehab and is admitted into a short-term plan, or he is going downhill and is admitted to a long-term plan.

the problem: His father is diabetic. Also, he requires a substantial amount of medication, which, without his armed services discount, would've bankrupted the family years ago when he had his stroke. Also, his father is uncaring and unmoved by the fact that his family might have to cancel their home phone service and his music lessons, among other things, to pay for this new treatment.

The insurance will pay for some of the price per month. However, his family will have to pay for Room and board ($32), Therapy (unknown amount), and other such things. As of right now, it looks like, since he is out of days, his family will have to pay for $3000 dollars worth of care in order for Tricare and Medicare to start paying again.

Now, usually he would be able to qualify for Medicaid (complete payment of care), but he makes $2600 a month, and the cutoff for Medicaid is $2200.

So basically, his family in screwed by his father's placement into these homes. His mother is a teacher (as such she is not payed that much and is not home during the day) and my friend is currently in his final year in college, so if his father were home, there would be no one to help him get up and use the restroom/eat. Also, because of the money crunch, they cannot afford skilled nursing at home.

Does anyone have any experience with this, and whether his family has any rights that might help ease the burden of their father? I have talked to him about a trust plan through a lawyer, although his mother does not have power of attorney, and as such she cannot do that.

Help is appreciated, and needed.

Also, serious replies only. All others will be reported.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
Also, his father is uncaring and unmoved by the fact that his family might have to cancel their home phone service and his music lessons, among other things, to pay for this new treatment.

to be honest, if I were that sick, I'd be, too.

my health against phone and guitar lessons? **** that, I wanna live.
Quote by CoreysMonster
to be honest, if I were that sick, I'd be, too.

my health against phone and guitar lessons? **** that, I wanna live.

He's been costing the family money and time out of their social lives ever since his stroke eight years ago. As such, I see it as a selfish, dick move on his part.

Also, he in uncooperative and aggressive to the whole ordeal, claiming that he should be "at home with his dogs".
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by MrCuddles
Tl;dr... anyone.

Given the situation that pisses me off.

Sorry dude I got nothing, but surely because it's an Air force pension you could still get Medicaid, they should inquire about that though.
If i've understood this right.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Wait, so the father is pushing ninety and his son is just a senior in college?
Quote by MrCuddles
Tl;dr... anyone.

Christ he's just trying to get some help,took me 3 minutes to read

Anyway I don't think your friend can really do anything here,if i was him and it was my dad i wouldn't care about cancelling music lessons and the like to scrape together some extra cash
Quote by Mike!
This man IS the truth.

Quote by aznmetalhead93
Walk out naked with a sock around your dick. He'll be so surprised he won't shoot you. Then rape him. Hard. With melted butter as lube.

Join the Xbox Live group
Quote by FFTLxx
Given the situation that pisses me off.

Sorry dude I got nothing, but surely because it's an Air force pension you could still get Medicaid, they should inquire about that though.
If i've understood this right.

No, it all counts towards his monthly pay.

Quote by Zoso_23
Wait, so the father is pushing ninety and his son is just a senior in college?

Again, his father and mother are separated by about 20 years of age. His mom gave birth to him about 20 years ago.

Quote by alex-led-zepp91
Christ he's just trying to get some help,took me 3 minutes to read

Anyway I don't think your friend can really do anything here,if i was him and it was my dad i wouldn't care about cancelling music lessons and the like to scrape together some extra cash

His social security cheque is also going to have to be taken from him in order to pay (this is his primary source of income in college). Food cutbacks on the already skimpy diet are also being implemented. It's a little more serious than you might think.
Move to Canada......or France. Somewhere that heathcare is pretty much free or inexpensive. The states are the worst for medicare, they charge way too much and only give a damn about the money they gain
Quote by werty22
P0nx don't even play instruments. P0nx sold their instruments for booze money. And they sold their booze for heroin money.

Mesa Gear Fund- $350/ $2,000
Moving to a country where health care is universal won't help, IIRC that only applies to citizens and they have to wait in long long lines to get simple procedures done. I've heard about people dying in Canada because they had to wait for a month to get an angiogram and stuff like that.
Gear List:
Yamaha SJ-180 Steel String Acoustic
2008 Ibanez S520
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Call me Erk.
Okay, this may seem cruel, but I'm going to say it anyway.

This man is 80 some-odd years old. He is going to die very soon, regardless of the amount of care he is given. Your friend needs the money in order to set up the rest of his life. His father needs the money in order to make the rest of his more comfortable, which isn't going to be very long, to be honest.

The father should care more about his son and his wife than his own health, fuck him.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy
Okay, this may seem cruel, but I'm going to say it anyway.

This man is 80 some-odd years old. He is going to die very soon, regardless of the amount of care he is given. Your friend needs the money in order to set up the rest of his life. His father needs the money in order to make the rest of his more comfortable, which isn't going to be very long, to be honest.

The father should care more about his son and his wife than his own health, fuck him.

And that's my point.

However, I still am unable to find a way to help them in their dilemma.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
And that's my point.

However, I still am unable to find a way to help them in their dilemma.

They could apply for a loan, and use the money that they get from their father's life insurance (if he has any?) to pay it off once he dies.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy
They could apply for a loan, and use the money that they get from their father's life insurance (if he has any?) to pay it off once he dies.

They have already had to take a mortgage on their home for $200,000 a few years ago just to cover credit card debts surmounted by his father. As such, a loan is not practical.

His father has no life insurance.