Wasn't sure where to put this, but to avoid random hate comments and spam I didn't put it in the pit

I'm using GP5 and was wondering about drumming in 5/4? I can't seem to get it sounding right :S

Where should I put the beats? Does anyone have a basic drum tab about this stuff?
Simplest way to make a 5/4 beat is this:

Take your standard Kick, Snare, Kick, Snare, 4/4 beat and add an extra snare hit on the end.

Kick, Snare, Kick, Snare, Snare.

All quarter notes, with the hi-hat playing eighths over the top.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
1 2 3 1 2
1 2 1 2 3
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Any complex time signature that isn't a compound time signature can be interpreted as an additive meter which simply means it's merely a combination of triple meter and duple meter. In this case of course it would be a 3+2/5 or less frequently 2+3/5. I'm no drummer but that is essentially the theory behind it; i.e. you divide it into two rhythmic groupings, one comprising of 3 beats and the other 2; or the other way around.
You could have ten quavers in a 0oo0oo0o0o arrangement, if that makes sense. That's the rhythm to mission impossible, which is in 5/4

hat  :xxxxx
Snare:  x
Bass :x
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Well I play drums and Fig. 1 has a feel to it that sounds like you just drop at the start of each bar:

Fig. 1
HH: x x x x x
SD:     o
BD: o

But this one (Fig. 2) has a kind of rounded finish like it almost resolves in guitar terms:

Fig. 2
HH: xxxxxxxxxx
SD:   o   o o
BD: o   o

But if you add a second bass beat in Fig. 1, like this:

Fig. 3
HH: x x x x x
SD:     o
BD: o       o

It sounds better than Fig. 1 for faster rock. (Try 3 bars of Fig. 1 followed by 1 of Fig. 3

Basically you have to choose one completly based on the type of music and the effect you want to give to the listener.

Use your imagination and as long as you can hear the start of each bar, GO NUTS!!!

(A quick footnote: GP5 drums are always out of sync with other instruments on my computer and if it sounds wrong on yours don't worry just get your drummer or if you are one yourself get on your drum kit and try them out. At first it feels weird in different time signatures but start slowly and you will feel the 5/4 beat and you wil automatically accent that first beat.)

Hope I helped, any questions just ask me.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Last edited by Conca at Jan 1, 2009,
^+1
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’