so this Christmas i got some money, and i wanted to spend it on an half stack, im going for a petrucci/sfogli tone but i cant afford a mesa yet, what would be the next best thing?
First off, how much money do you actually have to spend?

Second, I'm sure a combo would suffice. High end combo's are much better than mediocre half stacks.
check used

the only cheap mesa...

is a used mesa

alot of people are goin to say that the At series from b-52 is a poor mans mesa...

its a lie

they are great amps IMHO
i actually prefer them over mesa

but they are not mesa
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
yeha that s what i was thinking too, well right know i got like 700, 800 tops to spend what would be a good combo at that range?
used mesa on craigslist or eBay
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
well the mesa's out here dont sale for lessthen 1200, and besides like metalhead said a combo is sufficient for the gigs i do, and its easier to carry around.
you got a xxx right! how is the distortion on it? i like petruccis tone and also opeth can you dial the amp to distortions similar to those?
I have an XXX. The distortion is actually very very good. I'm not sure about Petrucci sound yet but I have the Score 3 disk set so I'll try to see if I can get a Petrucci sound. But it's a very versatile amp, so it shouldn't be too hard.
Also check out a Randall RG50TC, used Mesa F series, DC series, used XXX, used 5150/6505 maybe. Just make sure you try it out and YOU like it, dont just go by what we say. Go to a shop and play some amps and see what you like and if it can cover the tones want and needs you have.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
yeah yeah thanks guys, i wasnt a tone freak much, but things are changing and i guess i need a better tone, but im clueless in regards toamps, but thanks for the advice ill be checking those amps out, i got the options i need it thanks!