K, Im having serious thinks about which one I shud get first, my music is played by electric gutiars, no acoustic, but is it easier to learn on an acoustic, then upgrade to an electric later on?

Even though my name suggests I like metal, which I do, I wouldn't be playing slayer (or any otherm etal band for that reason ) for a long while, will acoustic be easier, and somewhat quicker to learn on, what with the lack of amp, and its is quiter (I live in a flat, not being too loud is crucial).

So which one?

I'd also like some names of acoustic guitarists who don't sing, so I can see a bit of inspiration/copying, as, well If I get acoustic, I am definately not singing...

I posted this in acoustic and electric forums to see the replies.

ALSO, can I have some rock songs that are good on acoustic, like wanted dead or alive by bon jovi.
Last edited by SlayedInTheFace at Dec 31, 2008,
Antoine Dufour

Phil Keaggy

Tommy Emmanuel

LoL...

and ummm.. get electric first if that's your passion....
Quote by redking14ca
Antoine Dufour

Phil Keaggy

Tommy Emmanuel

LoL...

and ummm.. get electric first if that's your passion....

Its not passion, itsj ust the fact that the music I lsiten to is revolved around electric guitar.

But I wana get acoustic as i dont tneed those fvcking wires, and for reasons I cant be bothered to tell, I'll essentially be getting it faster than if I bought an electric. So I would be playing earlier thsn If I were to wait.
id say electric is easier to learn on since the action is lower and you don't have to press as hard, but acoustic builds up your finger strength so you can play better....
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
How is acoustic easier and faster to learn that electric? If anything, acoustic is harder, due to the extra pressure you need to apply to fret the strings. Other than that, they're equal.
I love the acoustic guitar. Its rare that I play my electric.

Acoustic is so much more versatile to me. Specially when its an electric-acoustic.

Throwing delay on an acoustic is ****ing glorious and it always sounds better than electric.
Quote by alaub1491
I love the acoustic guitar. Its rare that I play my electric.

Acoustic is so much more versatile to me. Specially when its an electric-acoustic.

Throwing delay on an acoustic is ****ing glorious and it always sounds better than electric.

Try throwing some distortion on your acoustic and playing it at 10 on your electric guitar amp.

Seriously, I agree with you. I play more acoustic guitar than electric. The bass and sustain on an acoustic are so much better. About the only time you can do what I suggested earlier, is to use a Taylor T5, which is an awesome guitar.
I suggest you should play electric. And then get the acoustic, and then you'll notice it's easier to play electric right after you play the acoustic.

I'm just saying that since your music is electric, then you'd be satisfied by the sound and become more interested in making music with your guitar. But if you get an acoustic first, you won't be satisfied and you would be more likely to give up on guitar.

So get the electric first, then get the acoustic. And once you get the acoustic, it'll make playing electric alot easier, because it'll strengthen your fingers up a bit more.
acoustyic is better to learn on, strengthens ur fingers

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Because you're new to both, neither will be harder or easier. They will both be equally difficult. All the ideas about heavier strings and high action making playing harder are bogus because they can all be remedied with a setup change. If someone tells you an acoustic is hard to play, it's because their hands aren't in shape.

If you're into dabbling, the acoustic is where its at. No amps, no cables, no effects, just a wood block that you can pick up and play songs with. You can play ALL types of music and learn any song you want.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I'd also like some names of acoustic guitarists who don't sing, so I can see a bit of inspiration/copying, as, well If I get acoustic, I am definately not singing...

Why not? Who cares if you're embarrassed? Singing makes playing even more fun!
I would go acoustic, and my main reason, other than not having to deal with all of the cables and wires and such, is that your hand strength will build much more quickly with an acoustic than with an electric.

Also, you can just pick up and play, rather than pick up, plug in, switch on, dial in tone, and play.

Good Luck!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
ehh.... whatevah, i'd say if what you listen to is electric get an electric so you can learn to play those songs you like...

but w/e remember to get a chord and scale chart!
Quote by Natrone
I would go acoustic, and my main reason, other than not having to deal with all of the cables and wires and such, is that your hand strength will build much more quickly with an acoustic than with an electric.

Also, you can just pick up and play, rather than pick up, plug in, switch on, dial in tone, and play.

Good Luck!

Exactly, if you go with acoustic first your fingers will get stronger faster, and thus it will be easier for you to play later on both acoustic and electric. I, for one, want to play a lot of diff electric stuff, but im studying on acoustic now, just to get the feel for guitar and to build my finger strength up. <- Im not gna quit acoustic after I get an electric tho

For the loudness, If you get an electric you WILL need an amp, but you can always just stick your headphone in there, as far as I know right? And with acoustic its gonna be louder, but it depends on how you will play obviously and at first you prob won't play that loud so you'll be fine with an acoustic too. Hope I helped
Oh btw, Im Russian. :stickpoke

Fascinating people: Jon Stewart, Bill Murray, Eric Clapton, John Mayer, Hugh Laurie, Seasick Steve, Eugene Hutz, William Shatner, Boris Grebenshikov, Anthony Hopkins.

Hohner HC 06
Washburn EA18TS
For songs to play and listen to for fun/inspiration I recommend some rhcp like I Could Have Lied or Road Trippin'. You could also try some Coheed and Cambria songs like The Light and The Glass, Mother Superior, or Wake Up. All of those are acoustic and I enjoy listening to them and you might too. I can try and think of more if you want.