I feel like I'm spamming here...

So my pickups came in today. WCR Fillmores. I'm very excited to hear these in my les paul, but will probably not get around to switching them out much later.
um, congratulations?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
if people do this for amps, and pedals, I don't see why pickups should not be included
Quote by al112987
I feel like I'm spamming here...

So my pickups came in today. WCR Fillmores. I'm very excited to hear these in my les paul, but will probably not get around to switching them out much later.

All you need now is a Coricidin bottle and you're set!

PS: What kind of pickups are in your LP at the moment?
we need some pics though!

or clips or something, haha
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Pics
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
Haha, yah I was going to post pics but...

I'll post clips at some point soon though, once I get around to installing these things.

Mike!: Currently, I have a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge (yuck...) and a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary in the neck. Truth be told, I kind of like the Dimarzio, but I wanted a clearer, brighter neck pickup than you typical PAF and Jim recommended the Fillmores to me. They should be great for that Duane Allman Fillmore East tone, but they're wound pretty hot, mine measured at 10.5k neck and 13.3k bridge, and supposedly do great for that '70s hardrock, Zeppelin, ZZ Top kind of sound as well.

That being said, I strongly urge everyone to check out some the smaller p/u makers. Most of these guys do a great job, I know everyone is generally pretty set on either Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, Gibson or EMGs these days but it can't' hurt to check some of these other guys out. They're expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 31, 2008,
I got a new lead today?
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Well if they didnt before (and they have) they do now. So no, nothing new. But I just love seeing threads with new gear then thinking "Hey, I should go buy something!!!" then realize what is in my wallet.....nothing
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by al112987
Haha, yah I was going to post pics but...

I'll post clips at some point soon though, once I get around to installing these things.

Mike!: Currently, I have a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge (yuck...) and a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary in the neck. Truth be told, I kind of like the Dimarzio, but I wanted a clearer, brighter neck pickup than you typical PAF and Jim recommended the Fillmores to me. They should be great for that Duane Allman Fillmore East tone, but they're wound pretty hot, mine measured at 10.5k neck and 13.3k bridge, and supposedly do great for that '70s hardrock, Zeppelin, ZZ Top kind of sound as well.

That being said, I strongly urge everyone to check out some the smaller p/u makers. Most of these guys do a great job, I know everyone is generally pretty set on either Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, Gibson or EMGs these days but it can't' hurt to check some of these other guys out. They're expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Hell yes. I love the '57 classic in the neck of my 339, but the bridge pup is lacking.

I was originaly thinking of putting a WCR crossroads in the bridge for almost a year now, but after hearing this, I'm thinking that maybe Skatterbranes are the way to go.

PS: Holy ****! I just realized how hot those pickups are! I didn't know 59 PAFs were wound that hot.
Last edited by Mike! at Dec 31, 2008,
yes, these threads have been done, but they fail without clips, pics, or at least a review!

throw us a bone man.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by al112987
if people do this for amps, and pedals, I don't see why pickups should not be included

i think its because when people make the threads their product is fully functional and they know how it sound so they can give a little review and such
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Sorry guys, clips will be coming in a day or so, I was going to pop the new ones in but was too lazy to run out to the guitar store to pickup a set of new strings. Look for clips to come either tomorrow or Friday.

Quote by Mike!
Hell yes. I love the '57 classic in the neck of my 339, but the bridge pup is lacking.

I was originaly thinking of putting a WCR crossroads in the bridge for almost a year now, but after hearing this, I'm thinking that maybe Skatterbranes are the way to go.

PS: Holy ****! I just realized how hot those pickups are! I didn't know 59 PAFs were wound that hot.

Well, you have to remember that PAFs came in a bunch of different flavors, remember that there weren't any counters on those old machines, so you can find them ranging anywhere from 7.5k to 11k. The Fillmores I've played before sound like a hot PAF, the numbers are misleading as you'd think that they'd be something like... a hot rod distortion pickup or something, but really, they're just like an overwound PAF. Apparently Jim has his own way of doing things, most pickup makers like to sit there and try to replicate every little detail of the old pickups from real PAFs, whereas Jim has his own way of doing things and instead of replicating the pickups, tries to replicate the tones. He does a great job, everyone who has tried his winds pretty much loves them.
I checked out WCR pickups awhile ago and they seemed like really good stuff, kind of like the US Equivalent of Bare Knuckle Pckups. However, just like BKP, they were quite expensive. When I checked a set of two pickups was at a minimum of 300 bucks, which is a touch expensive for pickups in a guitar. Are they actually worth the price?
Quote by BGSM
Can I ask why you don't like the JB?

It's not that the JB was a bad pickup or anything but I didn't like the way it worked in my les paul, especially when coupled with my JTM45, the JBs have a very apparent top end, I wouldn't really call them bright, but they had a top end that got shrill very easily and caused some real ice pick tones. With a high gain amp or something that could round out the top end a little, I'm sure they work fine, but with my JTM45, it just was not doing it. Also, while they don't have a huge bass by any means, it was there and it got flubby in my guitar, the low frequencies always sounded muddled, no matter what I tried.

Quote by RG_FANMAN
I checked out WCR pickups awhile ago and they seemed like really good stuff, kind of like the US Equivalent of Bare Knuckle Pckups. However, just like BKP, they were quite expensive. When I checked a set of two pickups was at a minimum of 300 bucks, which is a touch expensive for pickups in a guitar. Are they actually worth the price?

Well, the Fillmore, Crossroads, Darkbursts are all under $300, but you're right they are quite pricey. I've really only tried a few different handwound pickups myself, but WCRs are my favorite. If you ever try any of these smaller handwinds you'll notice that they all kind of have their own unique style. Some people like Fralins, or Lollars, or Wolfetones, Skatterbranes, etc. Here is the deal with me, a while back when I was looking for a cab, I tried one with a Gibson R8 with a Bareknuckle Stormy Monday, and at the time I thought it was one of the best pickups I had tried, until I played a guitar with a Fillmore in the bridge. The Bareknuckles sound good, but I think WCR has them beat. Would I pay $300 for a set? No, because I think that's excessive for a set of pickups, regardless of make, but I picked up a pair of Fillmores for $260, and that to me was very reasonable.

I mean, pickups you really have to try in person, but there are plenty of positive reviews everywhere, I know a lot of guys on TGP is drinking the Jim Wagner kool-aid, and there are a few official reviews for WCR pickups, though I don't really trust those to be honest. And Jim himself is very friendly and is willing to suggest a set for you if you ask.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by al112987
With a high gain amp or something that could round out the top end a little, I'm sure they work fine, but with my JTM45, it just was not doing it. Also, while they don't have a huge bass by any means, it was there and it got flubby in my guitar, the low frequencies always sounded muddled, no matter what I tried.

nah, i notice the same thing with my engl. kinda muddy and too trebly at the same time, and a big honky upper mid spike to boot. and way too hot, too.

it's not a *terrible* pickup, i mean you could do worse, but it's not great either.

EDIT: those WCRs came pretty quickly, did you get them on ebay or something?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Mike!
All you need now is a Coricidin bottle and you're set!

sounds like the time i went to band ccamp

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I did it for my pickups

Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by Dave_Mc
nah, i notice the same thing with my engl. kinda muddy and too trebly at the same time, and a big honky upper mid spike to boot. and way too hot, too.

it's not a *terrible* pickup, i mean you could do worse, but it's not great either.

EDIT: those WCRs came pretty quickly, did you get them on ebay or something?

No, the guys at WCR were taking a few days break for the holidays and I placed an order for them last friday, and they came yesterday, shipped from CA to NC. They're made to order as well, great customer service. They really do a good job on the turnaround time. Clips should be coming today or tomorrow. Unfortunately I don't have a mic, so I'll need to record it with my digital camera.

As for the mids of the JB, I agree to an extent, I actually like a slight honk or nasal tone, not overbearing but it's one of those PAF-ish qualities, just so long that it's not harsh and unmusical. I really think it's one of those "which guitar" things.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 1, 2009,
al people do strap threads, so I wouldn't think much of making a pup thread. I also like some "honk" out of my guitars. Congrats!

And I did get a new badass levi strap for xmass... Hmmmm, nvm.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by al112987
(a) No, the guys at WCR were taking a few days break for the holidays and I placed an order for them last friday, and they came yesterday, shipped from CA to NC. They're made to order as well, great customer service. They really do a good job on the turnaround time. Clips should be coming today or tomorrow. Unfortunately I don't have a mic, so I'll need to record it with my digital camera.

(b) As for the mids of the JB, I agree to an extent, I actually like a slight honk or nasal tone, not overbearing but it's one of those PAF-ish qualities, just so long that it's not harsh and unmusical. I really think it's one of those "which guitar" things.

(a) that's pretty good! i remember when i ordered swinesheads ages back the wait was something like two weeks...

(b) yeah, i like a little bit of honk too, i could understand some people considering what i would call "good tone" a little honky, but there's a little bit of honk and then there's the JB where it's smacking you in the face with it...

agreed about which guitar- i've tried the JB in several guitars now (i'm guessing around 10-15), and it's sounded really quite decent in a couple, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason as to which ones it should sound good in (i.e. it's sometimes sounded good in the same model of guitar in which it's also sounded bad, etc.)

that'd be my main concern or warning to anyone who's thinking about buying a JB as an upgrade- the fact that you have almost no idea whether or not it's going to sound good, it's almost random!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, that sounds pretty nice. when i get round to it, i'm going to put PAF-y pickups into my edwards...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So finally got around to installing these in the guitar today. They sound great! I'll make a video clip later tonight (don't have a mic, so I'll have to use a digital camera). Hopefully it will withstand the volume of a cranked JTM45 and youtube won't squash the audio quality.
Unfortunately I don't have an attenuator nor have I taken the time to install a PPIMV yet, I have an AVT50 that... actually doesn't sound so bad. I'll have to see what sounds better on video. The biggest irony is that I got closer to the Duane Allman tone with my AVT than my plexi. Probably because I couldn't really tell what I was hearing, I swear ever since I installed el34s in that amp, it has gotten twice as loud...
^^

glad to hear that you like them, al. i can't really complain about any recording quality, my recording rig is terrible too, i'd rather spend the money on guitars, pedals and amps than a microphone...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?