Hey guys,

I purchased a 2008 American Standard Telecaster back in August of this year and it's played fine up until now. Now, whenever I pluck a string on (almost) any fret, it sounds like there's some sort of internal distortion...I don't know how to describe it any other way. This is playing it acoustically, mind you. For example, I pluck the A string, 12th fret, and the sound resonates, but it also sounds distorted. The guitar's in good shape other than this. I was wondering if you had any ideas as to what could be causing the problem. I know this is bad, but I haven't changed the strings since I got the guitar, under fear of messing with the action, which was set up perfectly from the factory.

Thanks!
I'd like to grow up to be Charles Thompson.

Gear:

Fender American Standard Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

VOX AC30 CC2X
VOX Pathfinder 15R

Line 6 DL4
Vox Original Wah
Fret Buzz? Maybe something is vibrating inside the guitar. A sound clip would be helpful.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
I'm pretty sure it's minor fret buzz that's casuing the distortion sound.
There may be rusts/dead skins cells/dusts under the string and between the fretboard and the string, so you may want to change to a new string and clean the fretboard.
it would probably help if you changed the strings
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
Sounds like fret buzz. How dry is the air in your location? I realize it's an electric, but even they can benefit from humidity. If your relative humidity is below 40%, I'd consider buying a room humidifier and keeping the room between 45% and 55% RH.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Sounds like fret buzz. How dry is the air in your location? I realize it's an electric, but even they can benefit from humidity. If your relative humidity is below 40%, I'd consider buying a room humidifier and keeping the room between 45% and 55% RH.

I do need to get an air humidifier...It stays warm year round in this room. It's on the third floor of my house and all the heat from showers and whatnot rise.

Gear:

VOX AC30 CC2X
VOX Pathfinder 15R

Line 6 DL4
Vox Original Wah
Quote by TehMasterSword
Fret Buzz? Maybe something is vibrating inside the guitar. A sound clip would be helpful.
It's hard to pick up over the microphone..Amped you can't really tell it's there, but I'll give it a try.

Gear:

VOX AC30 CC2X
VOX Pathfinder 15R

Line 6 DL4
Vox Original Wah
Quote by TehMasterSword
There's an MP3 of it on my profile now.

Gear:

VOX AC30 CC2X
VOX Pathfinder 15R

Line 6 DL4
Vox Original Wah
It sounds like fret buzz to me. I just bought a strat about 2 months ago and the neck seems very sensitive to humidity. I bet I've adjusted it 5 times. Check the curvature of your neck. Do that by pushing down the string at the 1st and 22nd fret at the same time. Now look at how much gap you have between the fret and string in the middle of the neck. It should be about the thickness of a playing card. If it's not, you need to adjust your truss rod. By the way, if you just bought it in Aug., it should still be under warranty. So you might just take it to the guitar shop you bought it from. Hope that helps.
Are You the Next Guitar Hero?
Master the Guitar Step by Step
What he said ^ Its fret buzz, easily fixed.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
jesus change the strings already, im lazy with changing strings and i dont think ive gone that long without changing them!

it could be your problem though, like someone said above clean and restring your guitar.

if you still get that sound afterwards, its probably fret buzz
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
This sounds like fret buzz. Check the neck for any curvature, and if there's nothing wrong there just raise the action a little.
change the strings then come back...strings dont last 4 months if u play them
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"