Hey all, I finally went out and picked up a V18 212. Love the cleans, and it sounds pretty good with gain at a little past a quarter. The problem as most of you probably know is how muddy it sounds with the gain anywhere past half. Also, the reverb is...meh. I'm looking to maybe buy an OD pedal, probably a bad monkey. My question is this, should I try replacing the stock tubes? And is there any mod or device I could use to fix that awful reverb?

Thanks guys.
Definately replace the stock tubes. Should help out the sound, especially with better preamp tubes. As for the reverb, you could buy a new reverb tank, Fender has a good one. Or, a cheaper way, buy a good reverb pedal, like a Holy Grail, and use that.
Quote by pENTAcUBE
Hey all, I finally went out and picked up a V18 212. Love the cleans, and it sounds pretty good with gain at a little past a quarter. The problem as most of you probably know is how muddy it sounds with the gain anywhere past half. Also, the reverb is...meh. I'm looking to maybe buy an OD pedal, probably a bad monkey. My question is this, should I try replacing the stock tubes? And is there any mod or device I could use to fix that awful reverb?

Thanks guys.

Definitely stick some Tung Sol or Mullard preamp tubes in there. Ruby or JJ power tubes will be be a big improvement too.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I'm not sure, but the thing only has 2 tubes in it, I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of amps. It says it has two EL84 output tubes. So I don't think I would be able to put in all those tubes lol. That reverb pedal idea sounds pretty good, considering I don't want to do too much messing around inside the thing.
It doesn't have preamp tubes? O.o Or are they covered?

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

I may be missing something here, but that's how it seems.

http://www.crateamps.com/products/pindex.php?prodID=3

EDIT: Looking at the diagram I may see some pre-amp tubes. But again, I just bought the amp that sounded nice. I'm not familiar with all the inner workings.

EDIT EDIT: Yeah, I'm an idiot, I'm pretty sure those 12AX7A are preamp tubes
Last edited by pENTAcUBE at Dec 31, 2008,
How do those tubes you suggest fit with blues? I would like to get a little more gain out of the thing without it sounding like crap, but I don't want to mess with the tone that is already there, cause this thing sounds great for blues right now.
If anything, those new tubes should enhance the tone the amp already has. There's a sticky in the GG&A about tubes you could go to and ask more specifics.

Stupid name.

Mine just came in the mail today. I'm liking it, but I have to agree with you on the mud and the reverb. It does indeed have three 12AX7 preamp tubes and two EL84 power amp tubes. The first stage of the preamp should have the most effect on gain, the second stage on tone, and the third stage on the power amp's responsiveness and balance since it's the phase splitter. If you look at the circuit diagram in the manual you'll see how each half of the 12AX7s is used. Make sure to update if you change some tubes out, I'd be interested to know what works well.