#1
A few weeks ago I put in some EMG's into my Fender Aerodyne. When i put them in the pot for the J pickup wasn't working so I had to replace it while using a crappy soldering iron. Last week the J pickup stoped working again and I found the problem to be a bad connection. I used the same crappy soldering iron to reconnect the lose wire and the J pickup still isn't working. Is i possible I overheated the pickup and killed it? Or could the pot I used to replace the old one be bad?
#2
whats the wattage of the iron?
might be the pot
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
#3
Umm J pickup? And you dont need to solder emg's. And get a half assed soldering iron, will solve your problems me thinks.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
#4
Is it passive? If it is you'd be pretty hard pressed to actually fry a pup if that's possible at all. Probably just a dodgy solder joint somewhere though if you really went to town you could have maybe fried a pot. Go buy a new $5 soldering iron and make sure you do it right. If that doesn't cut it get a new pot.

Umm J pickup

from a jazz bass-- a standard sized single coil bass pup.
#5
Its an active bass. For some reason the soldering iron was getting really hot, but not hot enough to melt the solder. I held the iron there for some time, so that's why I'm thinking I may have fried the pot.

And I know you don't need to solder emg's. I had to replace the pot, which does call for soldering. I realize the pickups themselves don't need soldering...
Last edited by Pazuzu195 at Dec 31, 2008,
#6
You can't overheat a pickup unless you light it on fire.

You might have overheated the pot, but Idk from your not-so-specific post (like what's the wattage of the iron and how long did you leave it on the pot lug).

Get a good iron. I have a $15 30w iron from walmart that has served me well for years. Get a new pot just in case.
#7
Quote by Invader Jim
You can't overheat a pickup unless you light it on fire.

You might have overheated the pot, but Idk from your not-so-specific post (like what's the wattage of the iron and how long did you leave it on the pot lug).

Get a good iron. I have a $15 30w iron from walmart that has served me well for years. Get a new pot just in case.



I don't think there is a wattage, it was a gas fueled iron