Page 1 of 2
Do you tend to listen to bands that have understandable messages in their songs or not. For example maybe Iron Maiden have quite basic themes but Opeth songs are very esoteric.
I listen to whatever sounds good to me.

I guess I listen to both. Tool and Flobots are on my Ipod now with Rage Against the Machine and some Satriani, which doesn't have any lyrics.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I almost always need some kind of message. If the artist didn't intend for there to be one I make one up for myself. It doesn't have to be real deep or anything, just something I can relate to or appreciate in some way.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.”
-Bob Dylan

Quote by Freezer Burn

Congratz on the having the longest wall of text ever!

I tend to go for emotion and good lyric writing, I also look for talented musicains. I tend to ignore things that are "catchy" because they just plain suck IMO.
reason im asking is cos our band sings esoteric songs and our singer is greek and its hard to understand his english vocals so we have no discernable message whatsoever which bothers me
Anything Punk usually tries to have a message.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
I listen to bands that appeal to the "dude" in me. Y'know, Fu Manchu, Kyuss, Metallica, My Morning Jacket. Stuff that makes you go, "DUDE, THAT'S TOTALLY AWESOME."
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Metallica and megadeth both are pretty straight forward.
But I listen to songs that cause you to think a little about the message.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
I think that if a song is going to have lyrics, they should mean something, rather than just being words that sound good next to each other. However, a song doesn't need to have any discernable lyrics at all, or even excellent musicianship to make an impace on an audience.

Example - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ncSlPGnuOss

But yeah, if you're going to have lyrics, I'd say as long as they mean something to you, it doesn't matter if the audience completely understands or not. If the lyrics provoke an emotion in the band, the audience will be able to tell.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Lyrics are there for the singer to sing the melody with. They can have a special meaning if need be, but it is not necessary as long as the melody I enjoy. I believe it was Kurt Cobain who claimed music came before words, and I agree with him.
Lord knows I'm weak, won't somebody get me off of this reef...
i dont like it when bands try to fit strong political messages into the middle of awesome songs, like SOAD, i love their music but their lyrics piss me off.

i pick up an album to listen to awesome music, not get preached to.

i like it when a song has a funny meaning and lyrics because i like to laugh. i also don't mind if their talking about thier life experiences either. daddy by korn is amazing.

it's just when bands get all like "ooh! we're famous! that means people will listen to what we say! let's take advantage and push our bullsh*t views onto these people!" that's why i now hate green day.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by SlipknotRule93
i dont like it when bands try to fit strong political messages into the middle of awesome songs, like SOAD, i love their music but their lyrics piss me off.

i like it when a song has a funny meaning and lyrics because i like to laugh. i also don't mind if their talking about thier life experiences either. daddy by korn is amazing.

it's just when bands get all like "ooh! we're famous! that means people will listen to what we say! let's take advantage and push our bullsh*t views onto these people!" that's why i now hate green day.

It's the same with everything. Films, TV, books, magazines etc... All forms of media push an ideology onto the audience. Music is just one of the ones where it's easier to spot.

Subconsciously you have probably taken most of your veiws on various issues from one form of media or another without realising it.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Megadeth has a clear message...
just listen to The System Has Failed and The World Needs A Hero
the cover on Youthanasia makes me lol
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
or does having a clear message make things too simple..tool for example have messages but very complex ones
Lamb of God

Now you've got something to die for
Infidel, Imperial
Lust for blood, a blind crusade
Apocalyptic, we count the days

Bombs to set the people free, blood to feed the dollar tree
Flags for coffins on the screen, oil for the machine
Army of liberation, gunpoint indoctrination
The fires of sedition
Fulfill the prophecy

Send the children to the fire, sons and daughters stack the pyre
Stoke the flame of the empire, live to lie another day
Face of hypocrisy, raping democracy
Apocalyptic, we count the days

We'll never get out of this hole, until we've dug our own grave
And drag the rest down with us, the burning home of the brave
Burn

The message is pretty clear.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by strat0blaster
I listen to whatever sounds good to me.

That pretty much sums it up for me, too, though if I do hear a song that I can tell has a message, I definitely enjoy hearing that message. An example of what I mean is Neil Young's "Ordinary People" which he included on his album, Chrome Dreams II. It really hits hard about how the average person and/or community can suffer, from loss of jobs and other things.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Last edited by claptonfan55 at Dec 31, 2008,
Napalm Death and The Dead Kennedy's have messages in like every song
Quote by Zugunruhe
"sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will violate me sexually."
Quote by Jericho114
Anything Punk usually tries to have a message.

theres a difference between a message and a meaning.

songs with blatant messages like "**** the government" i think are just as "bad" as having no message at all

meshuggah, theres some meaning :P
to me, it's not essential that music have a message, i'll still listen to nonsense lyrics/music i can't find the message in. sigur ros is a good example, i don't understand icelandic or the kinda made up 2nd language they use, but their music does much more for me than a song from some generic punk band saying "society sucks" or whatever. to me, hearing a song where they're saying something important, stuff like state radio is the most meaningful to me.
I thought I heard the door open, oh no,
I thought I heard the door open but
I only heard it close.
Nothing is Everything - Death

Living like us and sharing our day.
In another world very far away
A diffirent existence, yet virtually the same.
Aggression is sadness and laughter is pain
Look deep into their eyes for what they have to say
Emotions take control of life everyday.
Unpredictable variations of behavior,
Hold the key to the mental door
Where nothing is everything, and everything is nothing
Staring beyond the wall a thousand times over
[Lead: Chuck]

Seeing a part of them that is real
Just imagine how it might feel
To be denied of what life has to give
Behind mental shadows they must live
Look deep into their eyes for what they have to say
Emotions take control of life everyday.
Rise Against has some messages in their songs.
Quote by dubstar92
Sparks92 is made of win

Member #26 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.
PM stepco12345 to join!

Last edited by Sparks92 : Tomorrow at 13:37 AM.
I don't really like bands that play simple music, so I prefer to listen to songs where the lyrics aren't too generic.
Quote by Tedward
theres a difference between a message and a meaning.

songs with blatant messages like "**** the government" i think are just as "bad" as having no message at all

meshuggah, theres some meaning :P

Go back and read what you quoted me on. Then pick up the tries part. Now you might wonder why you even bothered to even tell me that.

TS was talking about messages, not meanings anyway. Where did that come from?
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
I think Green Day has messages in songs like "American Idiot"
Also Led Zeppelin since if you listen to "Stairway to Heaven" backwards, you hear stuff.
I love Bob Dylan.

Even though he swears that he didn't intend for his songs to have any meaning, I still find plenty of it in them.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
The tragically hip, write songs of american mythology and myths. I love every song gord downie has ever written, he is the greatest lyricist for me to enjoy. Along with paul simon, john lennon, niel young, michael stipe and Ed Kowalczyk (live). oh and Justin hayward!
Opeth songs are not a delicious type of food.

/reference
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by SlipknotRule93

i dont mind if bands are political when they started out, but if at first they are a-political, and then become political... thats when it sucks
Quote by dudetheman
I love Bob Dylan.

Even though he swears that he didn't intend for his songs to have any meaning, I still find plenty of it in them.

...source??

i really doubt he said that.

i dont think he wrote songs like "the answer is blowing in the wind," "the times they-are-a-changin',"masters of war".. or a bunch of other ones that escape my mind. many of his songs were protest songs... he knew what he was writing about
Between the Buried and Me
Brand New
The Number Twelve Looks Like You
The Fall of Troy
Taking Back Sunday (Tell All Your Friends era)

such a brilliant album
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by CTFOD
Opeth songs are not a delicious type of food.

/reference

The Swedish Meatball Standards Authority?

So vigorous they are
Tool has a good message. I haven't figured it out yet but I'm pretty sure they have one.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
Tool has a good message. I haven't figured it out yet but I'm pretty sure they have one.

lol...
you dont understand/know the message, but you are damn sure its a good one.

that is funny
Quote by even deeper
lol...
you dont understand/know the message, but you are damn sure its a good one.

that is funny

Hey what can i say? I just try to drown in their music.

With my feet upon the ground I lose myself
between the sounds and open wide to suck it in,
I feel it move across my skin.
Sail upon the open skies
Page 1 of 2