I'm a new bandleader right now and wondering when the cover charge comes into play. We have a couple good Metallica (the oldies, not their new "music") covers going and I want to paly one or two at gigs to close, something more familiar than our originals. So when does the cover charge come in?
A cover charge is just pretty much an entry fee into the venue (bar, club, etc.) not a charge to play cover songs.
Wow. I feel dumb. Really dumb. I think I have quite a way to go before I get anywhere. Thanks, much appreciated.
As far as *playing* covers, you may do so totally free of charge. The venue is responsible for paying an annual fee which is a blanket licence to have copyrighted material performed in their establishment. Whether they have paid it or not is not your concern. If the copyright police swoop in and start busting chops, it will be the venue that gets consequenced, not you.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Geldin
Wow. I feel dumb. Really dumb. I think I have quite a way to go before I get anywhere. Thanks, much appreciated.

No problem dude, we were all noobs once.