hey,

there is a Ampeg SS 150 head for sale on my local craigs list. I have looked at reviews on HC and saw that it was rated fairly well. I play mostly metal, and this thing looks like it could get the job done.

i just want to see what you guys think, and if anyone has experience with these amps.

this thing is from the 80's, any idea how much these things should go for??
Its a higher wattage version of the VH-140C but lacks the chorus.. I would pick it up man. Its a great amp and can do cleans to brootal with ease.

The go from $150 to $700 depending on who is selling it and if there are any on the market at the time.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Its a higher wattage version of the VH-140C but lacks the chorus.. I would pick it up man. Its a great amp and can do cleans to brootal with ease.

The go from $150 to $700 depending on who is selling it and if there are any on the market at the time.

i was wondering if it was related at all to the VH-140c...i dont like Chorus anyways and even if i did want to use it i have a stomp box for it. the guys is talkin he only wants to do trades, and all i have to trade is a Dean ML project.

if i do grab it, can anyone suggest a cab?

i was thinkin more like a 2x12 cab just to save space, but i wouldnt care if i got a 4x12
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
i was wondering if it was related at all to the VH-140c...i dont like Chorus anyways and even if i did want to use it i have a stomp box for it. the guys is talkin he only wants to do trades, and all i have to trade is a Dean ML project.

if i do grab it, can anyone suggest a cab?

i was thinkin more like a 2x12 cab just to save space, but i wouldnt care if i got a 4x12

Then the ss is the best option for you...

As for the trade thing just throw some money at him he will take it..

I prefer 4x12 cabs myself but im a metal junky and love the response it gives me. As for speakers it sounds great through my G12T-75's (most guys run them through Marshall cabs or Randall cabs from what I have seen). This weekend im going to test it out with a vintage 30 I have laying around and see what she sounds like with it.

And a side note, if you go marshall your gonna have to mod it to get the most out of it.

Avatar, Vader and Mesa are also great cabs.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Dec 31, 2008,
The old Ampeg SS amps are amazing - and they are great for metal. I highly recommend picking it up if he is willing to make the trade with you.

Also, look into some used Mesa cabs. I personally prefer 4x12s but if a 2x12 gets the job done for you then thats up to you - its all about personal preference.
ya i dont really want to trade the dean away...i was really lookin fwd to keepin that my Drop C guitar and playin on this ampeg. Luckily i got paid today and i have at least 200 bucks i could throw at him.

he isnt lookin for anything i have, (hartke 300 w head, or Epi Flying V is what he wants)

seriously if this ****er is gonna be gay about the trade thing ill go buy one of the ****in cabs he wants and trade him that. hopefully he isnt seriously gay about it lol

i have heard these are great metal amps and have tons of gain....exactly what im lookin for.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The old Ampeg SS amps are amazing - and they are great for metal. I highly recommend picking it up if he is willing to make the trade with you.

Also, look into some used Mesa cabs. I personally prefer 4x12s but if a 2x12 gets the job done for you then thats up to you - its all about personal preference.

well i know that the 4x12 would give it that extra oomph...but i was kind of thinking of starting with a 2x12 cab for it, and then buyin a 1x15 cab for it as well.. kinda give it that 3/4 stack feel.

Edit: Dudes a douche so im not gonna deal with him. apparently there is another one in the area for sale at a store, im gonna just go there. unless i can find one of them hartke heads for less than the ampeg i would just trade him that.

thansk for the advice guys!
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
ya i dont really want to trade the dean away...i was really lookin fwd to keepin that my Drop C guitar and playin on this ampeg. Luckily i got paid today and i have at least 200 bucks i could throw at him.

he isnt lookin for anything i have, (hartke 300 w head, or Epi Flying V is what he wants)

seriously if this ****er is gonna be gay about the trade thing ill go buy one of the ****in cabs he wants and trade him that. hopefully he isnt seriously gay about it lol

i have heard these are great metal amps and have tons of gain....exactly what im lookin for.

Yup there is always that option.. Just talk to him and see what he says...

And they are great amps for metal especially but there still versatile enough you wont get bored with it. As to how good a metal amp it is, honestly I was stuck with just one amp for the remainder of my years it would be this amp. Because im into really tight metal and I havent found an amp yet that can keep up with this monster.

Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
well i know that the 4x12 would give it that extra oomph...but i was kind of thinking of starting with a 2x12 cab for it, and then buyin a 1x15 cab for it as well.. kinda give it that 3/4 stack feel.

2x12's sound just as good man there just missing a hair bit of response and lowend. Still perfect for what your looking for.
thanks for the advice ibanezpyscho

everything he wants traded to him is worth much more then i could buy this on ebay or in the store. so if it goes that route im just gonna go to that store tonight and swoop it up.
ive come to the conclusion. this dude can **** off. im gettin to that store right now. they also have some cheap cabs there that im thinkin ill buy until i can get something better.

got a big weekend with the g/f so i gotta save some money hahaha.
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
thanks for the advice ibanezpyscho

everything he wants traded to him is worth much more then i could buy this on ebay or in the store. so if it goes that route im just gonna go to that store tonight and swoop it up.

Your welcome man and if you have any more questions in the future feel free to hit me up..
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Your welcome man and if you have any more questions in the future feel free to hit me up..

damn the store is closed...looks like friday 10 am here i come hahaha.

hey ibanezpyscho im going to send you a friend request so i can ask you questions about this amp as needed...if you dont mind
I use a Lopoline 2x12 with Texas heats and a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 with my VH-140C.

The G-Flex works perfectly with it and it sounds HUGE. I've also hooked it up to my 1960, and while it sounds good, the G-Flex matches it better imo. It pronounces its bottom end and the high end doesn't get too fizzy and harsh.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I use a Lopoline 2x12 with Texas heats and a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 with my VH-140C.

The G-Flex works perfectly with it and it sounds HUGE. I've also hooked it up to my 1960, and while it sounds good, the G-Flex matches it better imo. It pronounces its bottom end and the high end doesn't get too fizzy and harsh.

+1

MatrixClaw has cabs to spare... I on the other hand have one

And your friend request is accepted
Quote by MatrixClaw

nice. im sort of new to the stacks n ****. ive just been playin combos and been pretty happy with them. if this ampeg head were tube...there is now way i would buy it. 150w tube would be a litttttle over kill..gigging or not.

anyways, as of right now i dont have a lot for a cab. ive been lookin all over the used market here ( MN, USA) and really havent found anything that i thought would be worth looking at. i mean i could just buy a **** old cab for 100 bux or something, but i think that would be retarded.

is there any other cabs that you would suggest that would accent this head nicely?

also ive been thinkin maybe i would just build my own, but i dont know a whole lot about them. im good with tools and designs, but i dont have access to everythin i would need. and speaker suggestion? how does that ohm thing work..i used to know this stuff wen i was more into car stereo and **** but i havent really looked at ohms in years.

all of your input is appreciated.