I got the Peavey Valveking 212 amp for christmas (valve amp) and theres a popping sound coming from it.

even when my guitar isnt plugged into the amp, it still does it. does anyone know what could be causing it? how to fix it? and is it damaging my amp?

if it helps, the amp is an ex demo- but it apparantly hadn't had much use and they only had it for a while.

thanks
probably old tubes.

either that or your amp is trying to tell you something, maybe its a message in morse code.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
thanks
i dont see how they can be old though, 'cos apparently the shop has only had it for a few months, and it hasn't been played much.

it could be the morse code idea though :P
Quote by chrishoulton
thanks
i dont see how they can be old though, 'cos apparently the shop has only had it for a few months, and it hasn't been played much.

it could be the morse code idea though :P

yes but it still could have been shipped with bad tubes. sometimes it happens.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
so could i get it in the warrenty or something and get a new one for free? cos im a bit annoyed that my dad had to pay £350 for something thats broken.lol
never mind, i looked at the warrenty and it doesnt cover anything that happened during shipping :/
popping noises?

that could be really bad, popping is generally a sign of arcing. Here is what you need to do, first off, watch the tubes, see if they're flashing, ie. if it looks like theres a short anywhere inside or around that you can visibly see. Turn out the lights, if theres any arcing inside the tube it should be be very noticeable. If not, there could be arcing at the sockets as well, dirty sockets tend to short between pins and it will leave a carbon trace that is conductive. If you find any of these traces on the socket, you'll need to have the socket replaced. Those are really the two most common places. I'd suggest you take the amp to a tech to look at if you're experienced in working with tube amps.
As above could be a bad tube or socket, poor or dry solder joint. New amp under warranty I would take it back get it fixed or replaced the fact remains its under warranty and money has been exhanged for a faulty product.
94 Epi LP. Thin 335 style neck Schaller locking tuners Dimarzio PAF PRO (bridge) Gibson 57 re-issue (neck)
thanks for your help
my dad said he'll ring the shop tomorow (as today is new years day) and try and sort it out. I guess i'll just use my old amp for today.lol