Well, up until now, I was pretty set on getting a DK2S/SL3 Jackson. Then i saw the 2009 Ibanez leaks thread, and this beauty caught my attention.

Ibanez 3550MZ in Roadster Orange Metallic. Of course, I don't know the price yet, and knowing Ibanez, they'll pull an ass move and price it at like $2000 but a guy can hope for the best, and have them price it at $1300 or less .

Okay, they probably won't but whatever.

My question is, how the hell am I supposed to choose? Some of my favorite bands have a single coil in the neck, and the sustainiac on the DK2S is a huge plus, however, majority of the bands I like have a H/H, or H/S/H config. Which should I get? I play mainly Metal (Thrash, Melodic Death, Classic [Maiden, Priest, etc.]), Shred (Vai, Marty Friedman, Dream Theater, JP solo, Paul Gilbert) and Jazz/Blues. I'll be playing through a Peavey VK 212 with a Veteran 30 speaker (Better version of Vintage 30) and British Lead (Better version of a Classic Lead). All reccomendations are welcome. I don't care much for looks, but I don't want anything overtop, like a BC Rich Warlock or something like that.

tl;dr: Reccomend me a HSH or HH config guitar that'll play shred, metal, and jazz well through a peavey VK 212 with a Veteran 30 (better version of Vintage 30) and British Lead (Better version of Classic Lead). Preferably Ibanez, Jackson, or possibly Schecter (I have yet to try thier necks, who knows.), but other brands are welcome.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Fook, that guitar is sexy. I didn't read your questions but the answer seems clear...

Buy the Ibanez
If you decide on the DK2S,I have one in great condition for sale at the moment.

Other than that,if they don't price the **** out of that Ibanez,I'd go for it,but put a black guard on it since the grey looks a little weird.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by PedroLesPaulVM
Fook, that guitar is sexy. I didn't read your questions but the answer seems clear...

Buy the Ibanez

That is my current leading choice, but knowing Hoshino/the company, they'll price it way more than it's worth.

Scratch that, I was just looking through Zzounds for Ibanez prices, and it seems they now price realistically. Who knows, maybe this thing'll be less than 1400. The 1527 and 1570 are only 799 and 999 respectively, where before they were like, 999 and 1xxx.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Well, out of the three guitars you mentioned, your best bet will probably be either that new Ibanez or the SL3. From what I've heard, SL3s sustain like mad anyway, so the only benefit to the sustainiac would be the thing with the harmonics.

Knowing Ibanez, they'll probably just put either an Edge III or ZR trem in that new guitar, but the SL3 has an original Floyd in it. Personally I'd go with the Jackson, because they play nice. Ibanez does good too, but an OFR beats an Edge III any day.

Plus, a Schecter Stiletto Classic may interest you as well. I'd say check that out too.

EDIT: This: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Classic-Electric-Guitar?sku=515759
Last edited by jetfuel495 at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by V.U.K

tl;dr: Reccomend me a HSH or HH config guitar that'll play shred, metal, and jazz well through a peavey VK 212 with a Veteran 30 (better version of Vintage 30) and British Lead (Better version of Classic Lead). Preferably Ibanez, Jackson, or possibly Schecter (I have yet to try thier necks, who knows.), but other brands are welcome.

tl;dr
Quote by jetfuel495
Well, out of the three guitars you mentioned, your best bet will probably be either that new Ibanez or the SL3. From what I've heard, SL3s sustain like mad anyway, so the only benefit to the sustainiac would be the thing with the harmonics.

Knowing Ibanez, they'll probably just put either an Edge III or ZR trem in that new guitar, but the SL3 has an original Floyd in it. Personally I'd go with the Jackson, because they play nice. Ibanez does good too, but an OFR beats an Edge III any day.

Plus, a Schecter Stiletto Classic may interest you as well. I'd say check that out too.

I am fairly sure that that's a Prestige series RG. I think they'll be putting in an Edge Zero (Great tremolo, almost on par with the original Edge, imo) and if they put in an Edge III then the price will be at most, $600. I'd just buy an OFR and install it if they put in an Edge III. If this is in the SL3's price range with an Edge III, then I'll most likely get an SL3, or if it's in the SL3's pricerange with an Edge Zero than I'll get this thing. Who knows though, Jackson may come out with a new model too. SL4, anyone?
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Quote by V.U.K
I am fairly sure that that's a Prestige series RG. I think they'll be putting in an Edge Zero (Great tremolo, almost on par with the original Edge, imo) and if they put in an Edge III then the price will be at most, $600. I'd just buy an OFR and install it if they put in an Edge III. If this is in the SL3's price range with an Edge III, then I'll most likely get an SL3, or if it's in the SL3's pricerange with an Edge Zero than I'll get this thing. Who knows though, Jackson may come out with a new model too. SL4, anyone?

Edge Zeros are pretty good. I'd just never be able to keep up with the maintanence on the thing. I think they gotta be lubricated every once in a while, but I guess that's a small price to pay for such a good trem.

You've got yourself a pretty good plan laid out there. Although I've never seen anything from Jackson that ended in a 4, other than the RR24. The next step up from an SL3 would be an SL2, which is American made (I think) and a bit pricier.

A Jackson SLSMG would be able to handle shred and metal pretty easily with it's two EMG humbuckers, but I don't know about jazz. But that guitar is SO light, and the neck is so damn thin, as well as the body.
Quote by jetfuel495
Edge Zeros are pretty good. I'd just never be able to keep up with the maintanence on the thing. I think they gotta be lubricated every once in a while, but I guess that's a small price to pay for such a good trem.

You've got yourself a pretty good plan laid out there. Although I've never seen anything from Jackson that ended in a 4, other than the RR24. The next step up from an SL3 would be an SL2, which is American made (I think) and a bit pricier.

A Jackson SLSMG would be able to handle shred and metal pretty easily with it's two EMG humbuckers, but I don't know about jazz. But that guitar is SO light, and the neck is so damn thin, as well as the body.

That's why I don't want an SLSMG. I tried one before, and it felt like a toy.

Yeah, I heard you gotta lube them up like, 3-4 times a month.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.