Page 1 of 2
Now I know people are going to say "oh just practice the songs" but they are just way too technical. Even at 30 BPM I have a hard time playing the riffs. Is there anything else I can do to improve? Am I suppose to do exercises until I'm fast enough for the songs?
Quote by Tehzekester
I think you should try out for Decapitated!

hahaha
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
Just practice, really. If you can't play the riffs at 30 BPM, then you need to learn harder (but easier than necrophagist) songs first. Cannibal Corpse, Decapitated, The Faceless, etc
Why must we have a dozen of these stupid fukking threads every month?

YOU PLAY THE FUKKING SONG BY PRACTICING ASSHOLE.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by Tehzekester
I think you should try out for Decapitated!

Do you just go in random threads now and just say that?
Learn music from a good band, eg. Between the Buried and Me.
Anyway to help you out, practicing up and down scales might help, chromatic runs will help out to.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
learn diminished arpeggios.

then you'll know 75% of their songs
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Learn how to alternate pick.

Quote by EZLN libertad
learn diminished arpeggios.

then you'll know 75% of their songs

Yuze duuuuumb.
I've found Jesus
Quote by FFTLxx
Anyway to help you out, practicing up and down scales might help, chromatic runs will help out to.

I can't play BTBAM either
Quote by FFTLxx

Practicing scales and chromatic runs won't really help you much for a necrophagist song. Sure there is a use for the practice, but moreso you need to work on string skipping, since what makes Necro songs hard is the amount of string skipping and fast and furious alternate picking. the solos are really the only things that have sweeps, but then again the solos are alot easier than the song itself.
Quote by FFTLxx

Yeah, try Mordecai. It'll get you used to picking quickly and sweeping, then you'll be ready for Necrophagist.
Quote by Contraband

Yuze duuuuumb.

go analyze foul body autopsy, that entire song is diminished except the solo
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by EZLN libertad
go analyze foul body autopsy, that entire song is diminished except the solo

Wow, one song?

I guess that means their entire discog.

I only commented on what you said because you said diminished arpeggios, which more than often aren't used in favor of minor arpeggios. The riffs aren't arpeggiated most of the time. So stop being a poo.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Endless_Pain
I've been ALT picking since day 1(literally)

I think it's important to realize that just because you've been practicing something for a long time does not mean:

A) That you're practicing it right

or

B) That you've mastered it

Techniques like that are ones that you always practice as long as you play guitar.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
Wow, one song?

I guess that means their entire discog.

I only commented on what you said because you said diminished arpeggios, which more than often aren't used in favor of minor arpeggios. The riffs aren't arpeggiated most of the time. So stop being a poo.

you really think i was being serious in my original post?

Its not just diminished arpeggios. I know that. It's also harmonic minor runs.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by Contraband
I think it's important to realize that just because you've been practicing something for a long time does not mean:

A) That you're practicing it right

or

B) That you've mastered it

Techniques like that are ones that you always practice as long as you play guitar.

So then what do I do in order to master it?
Play it
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by EZLN libertad
you really think i was being serious in my original post?

Its not just diminished arpeggios. I know that. It's also harmonic minor runs.

yadda yadda....

yea...

heard this before...

Necropaghist r dull n bring n only uze dminished thingys n hrmonic mnor runs...

This thread was about difficulty to play, not originality of said band.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Endless_Pain

Practice lololo. Pretty much the more you practice = the better you get at what you practice, if you are practicing correctly. Shut this thread down, print out an alternate picking lesson from UG, shut the computer off, and go woodshed!
Quote by Endless_Pain

Like insideac said, practice string skipping alternate picking.

A good example is Stabwound. Now, playing those riffs at original speed is really a challenge for me, but practice at 1/4 the speed and get comfortable at that speed.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
yadda yadda....

yea...

heard this before...

Necropaghist r dull n bring n only uze dminished thingys n hrmonic mnor runs...

This thread was about difficulty to play, not originality of said band.

yeah i actually love necrophagist, theyre one of my favorite bands, i think muhammed is friggin amazing in both technical and compositional aspects

i was just having fun before, didnt mean to tick off anyone.

in response to threadstarter, dont use a metronome until you are somewhat comfortable playing the riffs, spend like 15 minutes getting comfy with a section before adding a metronome
Quote by beadhangingOne
TS, which phagist song are you working on? I'd suggest practicing the intro main riff to Diminished to B, that's the only necrophagist song I can play more than 30 seconds of.
Go for slightly easier stuff like early Metallica first. Then, just practice one beat at a time.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Practicing.
Duh.
You find it hard to even finger a chord when you first start playing, you get better don't you?
Try playing the song at your own speed with no music or anything like that. Don't even use a metronome. Just play the song as slow as you need to so you can familiarize yourself with the "feel" of the song. Once your hands are used to the way it "feels" to play the song, you can start practicing it and improving your speed and whatnot.

I learned to sweep by trying to play Culinary Hyperversity. Granted, I still can't play parts of it because my guitar is just a pain in the ass to work with, but I've got the technique there now so it can be worked on. I know you don't want to hear it, but it just takes practice. That's all it is, there really is no magical secret to make it easier.
You need to practice your ass off. Seriously.

Work with it slowly until you have it commited to muscle memory then slowly build up your speed and it should all fall together.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Or just practice it at full speed ridiculously sloppily over and over and over again, eventually it'll sound better haha.
Quote by dminishedthingy
Or just practice it at full speed ridiculously sloppily over and over and over again, eventually it'll sound better haha.

Please don't listen to this guy
|-------7---9-13-9------------|-------------9-13-9-12-----------|
|------8--8--------11---------|----------11----------11---------|
|-----9--------------10-------|--------9-------------------9----|
|----9------------------11-8--|-----11--------------------------|
|-10--------------------------|--13-----------------------------|
|-----------------------------|---------------------------------|

Well you obviously play that.
Technique. speed is actually just very refined technique. I suck at guitar and through working my way at it I'm learning Extreme Unction.
It's more of how dedicated you are to it. I know a guy who's been playing 12 years (as opposed to my 9 months) who would get lost looking at a song I love playing.
Page 1 of 2