So lately I've been thinking of only working on Alt picking. I'm thinking that until I'm at the speed I want to be at I should only work on this. Is that a bad idea?
Yes and no. Unless you have infinite time, you can't work on everything all at once. So it's important to pick a focus and really work on it for a while, while just spending a little time maintaining everything else.

It depends on how long though. For example, if you worked only on alt picking for like a year, then that's too much. Your playing would become very unbalanced. But a week or two to a month or so is good.
I did the same thing...instead of playing songs or something all I did for about 3 months was practice chromatic scales with my metronome...
Quote by MAMADERA2000
I did the same thing...instead of playing songs or something all I did for about 3 months was practice chromatic scales with my metronome...

How did it turn out? Did you gain a lot of speed?
Quote by Endless_Pain
So lately I've been thinking of only working on Alt picking. I'm thinking that until I'm at the speed I want to be at I should only work on this. Is that a bad idea?

It depends. I can hit 16th notes at 160-170 BPM while alternate picking(pretty good for me, cause I can't solo any faster than 16th's at 100 BPM) , but as soon as I have to switch strings it sounds kind of stuccato (I have to adjust to the new string), because I never practiced moving to different strings. So it shouldn't be bad as long as you're not wailing on one string the whole time.
Quote by Endless_Pain

yep...that is a bad idea (IMO) that will yield unmusical results.

Work on techniques as needed based on your musical goals. There is no reason to isolate your practice sessions to 1 single technique when there is so much more you can do on the guitar.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 31, 2008,
What you could do is work on a few techniques at once. For example, you could learn the major and minor scales all the way across the neck and practice alternate picking by playing them in different positions up the neck.

Then again, my old teacher once told me that at one point he did nothing for three months but practice sweeping picking extremely slowly with a metronome. And dayumm could he sweep...