Hey,

I need my machine heads to be replaced and the guitar shop in my area wants alot of money to put them on so I want to do it myself.

I unscrewed the machine head from the back but the machine head is still in the head. How do I get the machine head out of the head after it has been unscrewed.

-Thanks.
Did you undo the screw that holds the ears to the wheel(not the worm cog) that will let you take it off.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I am not sure what you mean, I am sorta a newbie to guitar parts.

The piece is still in there but I did unscrew the machine head on the back of the head.
Are these modern or vintage machine heads. There will be a bar running through the headstock. It will be attached to a cog(wheel with teeth on it) There will be a screw which you undo. This will mean you can take the bar running through the headstock off. Then you undo the other screws and take the whole piece of.

Why do you need to replace them any way. What bass do you have.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
If i'm right there should be a nut on the front face of the headstock for each tuner you have to undo those as well as the screws in the back.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hi4IIWdgWE This should help even though its for guitar.
Last edited by josh999x at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by whulkamania
I have a Dean ML

There's your problem right there..
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410