Hey,

I need my machine heads to be replaced and the guitar shop in my area wants alot of money to put them on so I want to do it myself.

I unscrewed the machine head from the back but the machine head is still in the head. How do I get the machine head out of the head after it has been unscrewed.

-Thanks.
is there a locking nut on the post?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I am not sure what you mean, I am sorta a newbie to guitar parts.

The piece is still in there but I did unscrew the machine head on the back of the head.

the lower line is pointing to the nut i'm talking about, on thAT stem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

So when I tighten them it will come out?

Does the string have to be on or off?
no haha, i'm sorry that's an old picture.

you arent tightening them. it was just to point to the nut i was talking about.

always loosen to remove. anyway, is there a nut there?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
no haha, i'm sorry that's an old picture.

you arent tightening them. it was just to point to the nut i was talking about.

always loosen to remove. anyway, is there a nut there?

Yes it is, the hole piece is still in there.
make sure that you've taken the small screws out of the back of the headstock as well.
Quote by whulkamania
Yes it is, the hole piece is still in there.

well if there's a nut on there, then remove it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
well if there's a nut on there, then remove it.

Well how do I remove the nut?
hold the other end, and lefty loosey, with a little wrench pliers, fingers?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I am a very visual person, can you post a picture of what I should hold onto and what I am supposed to do.
look at your headstock dude. where the post comes out, at the base of it theres little washer/nut sort of thing....un screw it. its in the picture JJ posted.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
Quote by thespian948
look at your headstock dude. where the post comes out, at the base of it theres little washer/nut sort of thing....un screw it. its in the picture JJ posted.

I see the washer but it is like glued.
Quote by whulkamania
I am a very visual person, can you post a picture of what I should hold onto and what I am supposed to do.

that stem needs to come out of the headstock. it might need to be tapped out if it's no longer being held on. but i dont think i'd want you with a rubber mallet.
you seem like you might break something .
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

holy crap, jenny, that last pic should probably be x-rated. o_O

not commenting on the subject matter, as if i ever get round to putting locking sperzels on my new york, i'll probably end up in similar strife...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave! it was an honest attempt at a constructive paint picture!

altho i admit, his original quote did have me a bit wary.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Alright I see what you are talking about, at the end of the nut there is a washer but it is like glued to the head which prevents me from getting it out.
^how do you know it's glued?
what kind of guitar is this?
can you take a pic?
have you taken the strings off?
how much force are you applying to the nut?
have you tried another nut/all your nuts?

maybe you shouldn't be doing this if it is so tricky.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^how do you know it's glued?
what kind of guitar is this?
can you take a pic?
have you taken the strings off?
how much force are you applying to the nut?
have you tried another nut/all your nuts?

maybe you shouldn't be doing this if it is so tricky.

It is a Dean ML.
I will take a pic in a few.
Yes I have taken the strings off
I am using my fingers to do it but maybe I should try a wrench.
Yes.
Quote by jj1565

Maybe it's the angle of everything, but there is something going on here.

TS - as said, remove the small screws on the back of the headstock attaching the tuner to the headstock. Then remove the round nut on the front of the headstock around the post the strings attach to. Remove the washer and it should come out with minimal pressure unless it is truly glued. Good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^ And, I don't think it's glued; usually those... *things you undo or tighten by using a wrench* really need a wrench to come loose. Also remember that the further away from the nut you're holding the wrench, the less pressure you need apply.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
to make life easy, all of my guitars use a 7/16" wrench, i would try for that size first.

perhaps you should have taken it to the shop. . .
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!