http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=96C-Pwp7o1Y

Does anyone know how he gets his guitar to sound so, well, so awesome? The intro rocks but it doesn't sound so good from my guitar, partly because I'm a bit rubbish, but mostly because my guitar lacks warmth.
How do I get my guitar to sound close to that?
Well, first of all, what type of guitar do you have???

Cuz this would sound good if it was played with a Les Paul Gibson.

But, it's certain that you need to play with distortion. Probably mess around with the tones a bit......overdrive. That's what you need....overdrive lol.

So overdrive, and a deeper tone....possibly a better guitar if necessary.
^Actually, a 4000$ Gibson would easily sound **** through a Marshall MG or Line 6 Spider so i prefer to look at the amp more. It's enough if you got a guitar you feel comfortable playing with and maybe some more decent pickups!

What you have to understand is that that is a studio processed tone and live tone and studio tone is 2 different things. Well, look at what you have. Amp,cables,guitar and effects. Also i hate to say it but most of the tone is indeed in your fingers. When you get that nice tight grip of playing and feel like you are ****ing grabbing that chord so badass and palm muting and chunking then it's gooooooooooooooooooooooooood.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
Sorry, I play a Schecter Demon 7 and an Ibanez RG420 through a Line 6 Spider III 30W. I'm almost tempted to buy a Gibson if it'll sound that good, except for the fact I have a completely irrational dislike for them
i figured it was probably the amp, but since I want to change pickups in the Schecter anyway I was hoping someone would say "put xxxx pickups in, it'll sound pretty close"
Did you try messing around with the eq on your amp? :p Cuz while scooped mids and lots of treble is good for heavy stuff, you can easily overdo it and destroy the warmth of your sound. Turn up the bass and middle a bit, and turn down your treble.
^Indeed,

Well, after turning down treble/gain down a bit, you could try lowering height of the neck pickup. Get a new amp before a new guitar, the amp is way more important.
Quote by MRavioli
^Indeed,

Well, after turning down treble/gain down a bit, you could try lowering height of the neck pickup. Get a new amp before a new guitar, the amp is way more important.

unless you have a ****ty guitar or a guitar whose tone and feel and playablity you just cant stand. just most of the time, that's correct.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Uhm for a quick solution I'd suggest more bass in your EQ and maybe rolling back the tone knob a bit.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Honestly, discounting the tone from your own hands, the amp easily accounts for at least half of the tone. Pickups come in just after that. The quality and makeup of the guitar are the small portion left over.
Quote by Scymrian
Sorry, I play a Schecter Demon 7 and an Ibanez RG420 through a Line 6 Spider III 30W. I'm almost tempted to buy a Gibson if it'll sound that good, except for the fact I have a completely irrational dislike for them
i figured it was probably the amp, but since I want to change pickups in the Schecter anyway I was hoping someone would say "put xxxx pickups in, it'll sound pretty close"

Gibson won't help you out of this. Not even a Gibson will sound warm through a Spider 3. No offence to anyone but the amps are quite rubbish and the tone is pretty cold!

It's the amp! Everyone saying that you should get a Gibson is either a fanboy or stupid. Just get a better amp. Your guitars are fine! I got a 1000€ guitar and a 450€ one and i like to play both equally much and get good tone with both. RG420 is a good guitar too! A new amp might help you 100000000000x times more than a new guitar. Also practice,practice and practice. The tone coming from your fingers is VERRY Important.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Quote by Scymrian

Use your neck pickup, man.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
My EMG 81's do a wonderful job in the neck, great warm tone.

But really, the amp's most important.
It's your amp, mate. Ditch the spider and buy a 5150/Engl powerball/fireball/Jcm800 or something like that. If you're on a tight budget, a Vypyr will sound a lot better than that spider.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Lowering your pickups is one way to easilly get a warmer, bassier tone.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Yeah, like some of the others said, a lot of it will be your amp and its settings. But a guitar with nice pickups and good wood will help a lot too. And some good cables too.
Cool, thanks for your help everyone, I'll have a go at lowering my pickups and probably buy a better cable too. I don't like the sound of my neck pickup, I don't know the proper terminology but it sounds a bit muffled, if you know what I mean? A new amp will have to wait until my after my car is serviced though
Happy new year
Use your neck pickup and set your EQ to like 7 Gain 10 bass 8 Mids and like 4-5 Treb?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX

Amp:
Ibanez TBX30R

Effects:
Dunlop Dimebag Wah
MXR Van Halen Phase
Boss Metal Core
Boss Super Chorus
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss DD7 Delay
In my opinion, you can't EQ in warmth.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Pick ups really are very important, as is the amp. Get good ones of both and you will sound sweeet-er.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 2, 2009,
But if the technique is bad then it wont. You can't buy technique so...

But i don't believe that to be the case here. Seeing as it is a spider and all i didn't expect it to sound warm!
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

I checked out the Vypyr, it looks pretty good! I think that and a set of Bareknuckle warpig pickups should get me the sound I'm looking for. Does anyone have any experience with those pickups? How'd you rate them, hit or miss?
Hmm, Mahgony, neck pickup (single coil or coil tapped), high bass, low treble, low mids, some reverb, should do you well.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Solid Mahogany in your guitar.

On your amp, good amount of mids, about neutral trebly, some bass, not too much gain.