I'm confused about minor pentatonic scales. Can someone give me a link to a page where I can read about the theory, but also see the five shapes...?

Is the below an E minor pentatonic scale?

--------------------------------------12-15-
-------------------------------12-15-
-----------------------12-14-
---------------12-14-
--------12-14-
-12-15-
I knew this really good page about music theory, but it was on my other computer, and my other computer totally got screwed.

Imma go look it up.
I thought it was all the same shape ie:
1 4
1 4
1 3
1 3
1 3
1 4

But the difference is in the root note. See OP's scale started on E-12, which is an E. The very commonly used minor pent scale is A, which starts on the 5th fret of the E string.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me.
Quote by Le_Bunny
I thought it was all the same shape ie:
1 4
1 4
1 3
1 3
1 3
1 4

But the difference is in the root note. See OP's scale started on E-12, which is an E. The very commonly used minor pent scale is A, which starts on the 5th fret of the E string.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Yeah, but when you apply the scale formula across the guitar you get that shape on the 5th fret of the e string, which is A, which is why its often referred to as an a minor pentatonic shape.

Theres other boxes as well.
Quote by natel0083
Yeah, but when you apply the scale formula across the guitar you get that shape on the 5th fret of the e string, which is A, which is why its often referred to as an a minor pentatonic shape.

Theres other boxes as well.

Yep yep as in

5--8
5--8
5-7
5-7
5-7
5--8
Amin Pent.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Yep yep as in

5--8
5--8
5-7
5-7
5-7
5--8
Amin Pent.

by boxes he means the second part of the scale, like the

5--8
5--8
5-7
5-7
5-7
5--8

is box 1, box 2 would be

8-10
8-10
7-9
7-10
7-10
8-10

that would be box two, then there is 3 more boxes till you get to the second octave up wich is the same as box one, only higher

there is also a five string penatonic wich is pretty much box 4

then there is also the major penatonics but since you didnt ask im not gonna type it all out lol

The E minor pentatonic scale is this...

E G A B D

it's those 5 notes, that's all...that is the actual SCALE, it's the E minor scale without the 2nd and 6th degrees which are the notes F# and C.

Now, those 5 notes appear all over the fretboard, that first example is simply one place you'll find them.

Likewise the A minor pentatonic SCALE is the notes

A C D E G

which is A minor minus the 2nd and 6th degrees, the notes B and F...are you seeing a pattern here? Again, those notes appear all over the fretboard, anywhere you can find those notes you can play A minor pentatonic.

The examples posted are simply one place the notes of any given scale happen to occur, they aren't the scale itself and the shape in no way defines the scale, it's the other way round....the notes of the scale tell you what pattern it will form.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com