Page 1 of 2
A study was made, where patients in a hospital had a current sent through certain neurons in the brain, causing them to produce an involuntary reaction (such as lifting the arm, or whatever). They were unaware of such a manipulation. When asked why they performed this involuntary action, they replied that they simply felt like it. They appeared to be unaware that they had been controlled by something else.

So, I ask you, dwellers of the pit, what do you make of this? Does this truly mean, that none of our actions are truly our own? Or does it suggest that we make our own actions, but can be easily manipulated?

Of course, there is also the argument that every action is reaction to an external stimulus, making it impossible to produce an action as a result of nothing but free will. But because this spoils what could be a pretty cool discussion, I think we can ignore this fact, for now anyway.

So I guess, what I'm asking you, is what do you make of free will? Do we really want to make any of the actions that we do, or are we simply controlled by our brains and bodies (if that makes sense)?
sometimes when i'm sleeping at night and i'm almost asleep, my leg kicks the air

what do you make of that?
Quote by burrit0
sometimes when i'm sleeping at night and i'm almost asleep, my leg kicks the air

you freak
If MY brain controls me I think it's still MY will.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
I would say that study you mentioned has too many variables.

Quote by burrit0

Go to the vet.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Sorry, it was in a book called "13 things that don't make sense" written by Michael Brooks (he's the editor of New Scientist, I believe). Other than that, I know nothing about it; but if you find it somewhere on the web, please do link me
i think the argument of all actions and thoughts being a result of external influence was somehow shot down by evidence of quantum uncertainties or something along those lines. In other words, certain electrical or particle interactions have been found to be, for the time being, unpredictable.
Exactly where would it be legal to perform this kind of studies? Cause I've got a few plans of my own...
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
I raped myself last night... But I knew I wanted it.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
I think therefore I am.
Famous last words are for men who never said enough. - Anonymous
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
A first part of my humanities essay. enjoy!

"Finally, in his description of “bad faith” Ortega claims, “Hence, I am free. But, be it well understood, I am free by compulsion, whether I wish to be or not” (Ortega 156) What Ortega tries to say is that our life is full of mandatory freedom. This freedom covers infinity of different possibilities among which we have to make selections in order to keep writing our life stories. We cannot escape our freedom of making choices because even choosing to do nothing is considered as a selection, consequently, our life story keeps on going. Therefore, there is no way of stopping or pausing our “stories” unless we stop the time. Also, we can consider our selves to be in “bad faith” because of the lack of some essential choices: choose your parents before you’re born, choose where to be born, choose your natural talents etc…"
How about asking Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart about the matter.
Last edited by Altoidwithmelon at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by horny_cactus
A first part of my humanities essay. enjoy!

"Because existentialism covers such a wide field of the modern philosophy, it is impossible to define it in simple terms. Concepts, central to existentialism, however, include: freedom, death, time and “bad faith”. In his account of freedom, Ortega explains, “At every moment of my life there open before me diverse possibilities: I can do this or that. If I do this, I shall be A the moment after; if I do that, I shall be B. At the present moment the reader may stop reading me or may go on. And, however slight the importance of this article, according as he does the one or the other the reader will be A or will be B, will have made of himself A or B.” What Ortega claims is that a man has the freedom to make decisions or to change his mind depending on the context. In this way, man has to make his existence at every single moment and creates the meaning of his life. In his description of death Van Deurzen-Smith quotes Heidegger :”In other words; death is part of me and to accept my living towards this end gives my life back to me in a new way.” In this regard Heidegger claims that knowing you’re going to die one day, motivates you to live(gives you a meaning of life, a reason to live and to exist) and to realize the real value of your life. "

Goddamnit, you just have to make smart, intelligent posts wherever you go, don't you? Have you not realised where you are? This is the Pit, max IQ: 70, and yes, that does make us legaly retarded.

Actually, that's not a bad idea for a sig...

Quote by beadhangingOne
free will doesn't exist. Someone had a great explanation as to why.

Probably vornik.
Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Goddamnit, you just have to make smart, intelligent posts wherever you go, don't you? Have you not realised where you are? This is the Pit, max IQ: 70, and yes, that does make us legaly retarded.

Actually, that's not a bad idea for a sig...

isn't 70 like USA's population average.
Quote by Altoidwithmelon
How about asking Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neal Peart about the matter.

But, seriously his name is Neil.
Famous last words are for men who never said enough. - Anonymous
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
Quote by LordBishek
That chipotle loving fiend is always spoiling our fun

He's the rank sauerkraut on our sausage of free will.
Quote by Kensai
He's the rank sauerkraut on our sausage of free will.

The mayonnaise on my ham burger of philosophy
Quote by LordBishek
The mayonnaise on my ham burger of philosophy

The pickles on my schnitzel of Platos cave allegory.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
the poop sauce on my vanilla icecream of awareness

That doesn't even make sense, man.

EDIT:
The Mango chutney on my Doner Kebab of objectivism
Quote by horny_cactus
isn't 70 like USA's population average.

See? There you go again, being all intelligent on us, it's generally not appreciated int the Pit you know :P

And I suppose it could be the average, if you count in all the chidlren and rednecks, ( ) but if memory serves me correctly, 110 is normal for adults.

Quote by LordBishek
That doesn't even make sense, man.

EDIT:
The Mango chutney on my Doner Kebab of objectivism

it's funny in two ways:

1. it broke the chain of food spoiling analogies by using an improper topping (and was aware of this)
2. it has the word poop in it
Quote by burrit0

mine does that to sometimes. but i think that could easily be explained...
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
i'm telling you, self-deprecating poop jokes are what's hot right now.

Fascinating...
This thread has totally switched direction.

Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
it's hard to tell if you're patronizing me over the internet...

I was going to explain how you could tell, but I'm not sure you'd grasp it. Never mind, have a biscuit.

meh its an OK song i guess, the lyrics are cheesy as hell, but its Rush so that goes without saying, but the bass line is amazing, a solid rush song imo
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by LordBishek
I was going to explain how you could tell, but I'm not sure you'd grasp it. Never mind, have a biscuit.

we call them cookies on this side of the pond. Go on and run along now, good chap.
Page 1 of 2