so are there cerain strings that will give me a certain genre sound? like are there strings commonly used for certain genres. i know i want thicher string cause i play alot of drop tunnings and flowy-deeper pop-indie but for the sake of knowledge match some strings with some genres for me. thank you
Well, roundwounds are the most common strings. They are used in most rock genres, if not virtually all. They are brighter and more dynamic in sound.
Their opposite would be the flatwounds. They are mellower in sound and are featured in lots of jazz and soul but Steve Harris uses them for heavy metal aswell. These have a more rubbery feel to them as they basically are filed down roundwounds.
The middle ground between these are pressure wounds.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
I wouldn't mind trying flats sometime. Just to see if I like them or not.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by TooFast
I wouldn't mind trying flats sometime. Just to see if I like them or not.

I use flats on my old precision, which is fretless as of now. I can't comment on the brand though, but I do like the feel of them.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Quote by Lilldjuret
I use flats on my old precision, which is fretless as of now. I can't comment on the brand though, but I do like the feel of them.

You're supposed to use flats for a fretless right? So it doesn't eat the fretboard? Id I get around to defretting a Jazz I'll give flats a try on it.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by TooFast
You're supposed to use flats for a fretless right? So it doesn't eat the fretboard? Id I get around to defretting a Jazz I'll give flats a try on it.

Yeah, as I haven't coated the fretboard, I use flats on it. My fretless five will have a coated fretboard and rotos on it. It will be nice.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
so what kind of strings would be good to use for drop tunnings??? as of now it i put it and were deeper than stndard tunning my strings make the ringing sound, been advised that i just need new ones, but which ones?
Quote by buddha
so what kind of strings would be good to use for drop tunnings??? as of now it i put it and were deeper than stndard tunning my strings make the ringing sound, been advised that i just need new ones, but which ones?

Well, as you previously stated, you knew about the different gauges, so I'd probably just smack on some heavier rounds if I were you.

EDIT: What kind of ringing sound?
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Last edited by Lilldjuret at Dec 31, 2008,
Quote by Lilldjuret
Well, as you previously stated, you knew about the different gauges, so I'd probably just smack on some heavier rounds if I were you.

EDIT: What kind of ringing sound?

when i play the e string and sometimes a the strings will slap against the fret board. more of a clanging soundthough
Quote by buddha
when i play the e string and sometimes a the strings will slap against the fret board. more of a clanging soundthough

Ah. This is due to the loss of tension when you down tune a lighter gauge string. Like I previously stated, a heavier gauge string will prevent this. Do note you have to adjust the truss rod to work with the increased tension, which you shouldn't do by yourself unless you know how.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Quote by Lilldjuret
Ah. This is due to the loss of tension when you down tune a lighter gauge string. Like I previously stated, a heavier gauge string will prevent this. Do note you have to adjust the truss rod to work with the increased tension, which you shouldn't do by yourself unless you know how.

i dont know what the truss rod is but going to the music store isnt that hard so i can work this out. do you reccomend any one or two particular thick strings?
Quote by buddha
i dont know what the truss rod is but going to the music store isnt that hard so i can work this out. do you reccomend any one or two particular thick strings?

The truss rod is a metal rod in the neck which controls the tension of the neck to counteract the strings' tension. If you change the tension or gauge of the strings, you will have too much or too little tension in the truss rod. That means that whenever you change string gauge you have to adjust it.

Well, I am a light gauge user, but alot of people here like Rotosounds, Stadium Elites and D'addarios, and these are some of the most common roundwound strings, so the local store should carry at least one of these brands. You can probably just compare medium gauges to a thicker gauge and see what gauge you need for the drop tuning. A little increase in gauge can go a long way, so don't go for a way thicker string than you actually need.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Another important note on flatwounds is that they tend to "go dead" a lot faster than roundwounds. They generally aren't used on non-fretless basses but there are many exceptions. Roundwounds are your best bet if you want to cut through the mix and have a bright tone.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
^Flatwounds don't go dead. They sound the same now as when I put them on, in fact the sound improves over time. I don't want to say they come dead, because that's not really right. It might be more accurate to say that they come round and stay round. That's how I describe the sound anyway.