Well after discovering the pit and kind getting fed up with guitar I put my electric and acoustic guitar back in their cases and put them in the closet. See the thing is that I really really want to play, I do. I have played for a total of about 2 years over the last 5 years. I pick it up play for anywhere from 2 months to 6 months and back in the case it goes. I had no problem learning chords I knew over twenty cords and knew there name each one of them. I learned how to play Simple Man and bits and pieces of about 9 other songs. I could do power cords and also the last time I played which was about 5 months ago, I was learning Scales and was really getting fast.

I want to play guitar again. But I have no rythm. I should be able to play alot of songs knowing what I know but I just can't do it. I watched a couple of older men at a party playing songs everyone loved and as I watched I wanted to see what chords they were playing I for most of the songs they played I knew every chord and could play them. I'm just no good at picking and strumming. I am really considering lessons but I don't want to throw away my money. Is there anything in particular I should learn to help me. I know what the answer you guys give everybody because I used to be here a lot. I know you say practice practice practice. But I have and I feel like I have hit a brick wall.
by LazyLatinoRocke
At least you didn't walked in on your cousin and girlfriend going anal.
lessons for sure bro. its only a waste of money if you truly believe it could have gone to something better. just gotta stick with it through thick and thin, youll be fine
I have tried practicing with a metronome but I haven't really had much luck on figuring out how it helps and the best way to practice with it.
by LazyLatinoRocke
You know we're going to say "practice, practice, practice", but are you willing to listen?

Steady, consistant practice is the only solution. Lessons may help in broadening your knowledge, but if you aren't practicing then you may as well be taking archery lessons instead of guitar lessons, because it'll be about as effective. If you really want to play well, you have to put in the effort. The old guys at the party may have only been playing basic chords that you can identify, but I'd be willing to wager that they've put a heck of a lot more time into them then you have. There isn't some magical tip, wether you get it from lessons, the forums, or some other site/dvd/youtube video, that can erase that basic fact. If you want to be good, you HAVE to be willing to put the time in.

As for rhythem, get yourself a metronome (or go to metronomeonline.com ) and practice with that. Start with about 40bpm, and do one strum per click. Make sure to tap your foot and strum exactly on the click, not a little before or after. See if you can do it 5 times out of 5. Then try to do it 10 out of 10. Then 20 out of 20. Before you know it, you'll be able to do it without concentrating on it (I'm talking over a period of days or even weeks). Then try doing the same thing but with the songs you know. Play to the beat. That'll get your rhythem up to snuff, but it still boils down to being willing to put the time and effort in.

"Practice" may be a common answer on here, but it's usually the solution to whatever the problem is. That's one of the great things about the guitar, you get out of it exactly what you put in.

-Edit-
Not to dissude you from lessons. They can be very beneficial in helping to correct bad habits, just don't be under the misconception that they're a magic cure-all.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Dec 31, 2008,
My strumming and picking was horrible, but I kept at it and now Im much better. Im sure if I stick with it in time I will continue to improve.

My intent is to just keep on keepin on with guitar and see where I end up. As frustrated as I may get, I have no intention of ever sticking my axes in a closet....
Quote by buddha
lessons for sure bro. its only a waste of money if you truly believe it could have gone to something better. just gotta stick with it through thick and thin, youll be fine

This

I self taught for a while but ive improved alot faster since I got a teacher
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Practicing with a metronome can help for some people, but not terribly helpful with others. You might also try playing along to a song that you know. That has often helped me when trying to get the rhythm down for a song. For example, "Stone In Love" by Journey. I was a bit shaky on the main riff and the first solo, but I just would play the song over and over, and play along, and its become much easier now.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Thanks for all the help and support. I ended up deciding to go with online lessons. I signed up at Guitar Tricks for $13 bucks a month and I can practice as much as I like in my home. I just couldn't see paying $50 for 4 30min sessions at my local guitar shop. So far I love the site and all the video lessons are really helpful. Much more than I thought they would be.
by LazyLatinoRocke
Quote by Joshanders86
Thanks for all the help and support. I ended up deciding to go with online lessons. I signed up at Guitar Tricks for $13 bucks a month and I can practice as much as I like in my home. I just couldn't see paying $50 for 4 30min sessions at my local guitar shop. So far I love the site and all the video lessons are really helpful. Much more than I thought they would be.

I woulden't be so quick to sneeze at lessons with an actual instructor at your local guitar shop. Online lessons can be great, and I'm glad you've found somthing that appeals to you, but with an instructor you get the added benefit of having someone physically there to evaluate your technique and give you pointers. I'm not bashing online lessons, but that's why the ones at your guitar shop are so much more.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Yea I thought about that. Not having someone actually there to help you. But I have never had a problem learning I have just had a problem trying to figure out what order to learn everything. The site im on has a guide that guides you through the steps one by one. I was also afraid because I play a lot when Im actually playing usually a hour to two hours a day and sometimes more and I was afraid that with only 30 minutes a week it would actually slow me down. With the online lessons I can progress at my own rate. Plus with my work I travel sometimes for months at a time and I have a laptop so I always can have my lessons.
by LazyLatinoRocke