Page 1 of 2
Today I just spent $380 on my Vox Valvetronix 50w AD50VT 1x12 and just now, I've been reading things about it on this forum. I think I've made a big mistake because I've been reading nothing but bad things about it.
-Some things I heard are: It can't be heard over a power drummer, It's half solid state, It only has one tube that doesn't make a difference in the sound.

*sigh* I'm afraid I might have to take it back. It was affordable, I wanted a tube amp, and I loved the sound so those are the reasons why I bought it. I would have gotten a Line 6, but I heard that they aren't made for rock music (think Nirvana and All American Rejects).
Erm it being a hybrid amp (Solid state powered by a tube) doesn't mean it is bad. And do you like it? If you like then keep it. It is loud enough to be heard over a drummer for practises and small gigs.
wel it is a very nice sounding solid state amp.

it's 50W solid state, which is loud but still might get a little lost with a "power drummer"

if you want another choice in this price range,
you can look at the roland cube 60s. for a little more gain.
you can also look at used gear, like peavey classic 30s.

but for $380 new, there isnt a huge group of amps that will push over a very loud drummer.

maybe something in the randal line.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
wel it is a very nice sounding solid state amp.

it's 50W solid state, which is loud but still might get a little lost with a "power drummer"

if you want another choice in this price range,
you can look at the roland cube 60s. for a little more gain.
you can also look at used gear, like peavey classic 30s.

but for $380 new, there isnt a huge group of amps that will push over a very loud drummer.

maybe something in the randal line.

It's a hybrid amp. One preamp tube.

I used to have it, it can EASILY get over a "power drummer." If YOU like the tone, TS, than keep it, don't listen to what a bunch of people on the internet think.
well by those 2 bands that you listed i say a used Peavey Classic 30 is right up your alley.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
It'll manage fine for what you play. Honestly, no need to return it unless you dislike it's tone or want a different amp that you feel is better,
Also keep in mind that a lot of the stuff you hear about less expensive amps is coming from elitist tone freaks with thousands and thousands of dollars to spend on guitar gear. Yeah that amp is ****... compared to a splawn or a bogner. In the end, if you liekz teh t0ne, then you should keep it. Although if you were to return it and were willing to wait, you could either spend a bit more money on a peavey classic 30 like people said, or stalk craigslist and ebay and wait for a deal to come along.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by GNRjungle87
It's a hybrid amp. One preamp tube.

I used to have it, it can EASILY get over a "power drummer." If YOU like the tone, TS, than keep it, don't listen to what a bunch of people on the internet think.

i know what it is.

and dude, how the heck do you know his definition of a power drummer.

can it get over drumming? yes.

but he specifically added "power" in front. maybe he should play out with it a few times while it's still returnable and see if he gets a little lost in the mix.

arent you also a person on the internet?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by GNRjungle87
If YOU like the tone, TS, than keep it, don't listen to what a bunch of people on the internet think.

Agreed. Do what he says, listen to this person on the internet.

Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
TS, unless your drummer is Bonzo/Keith Moon reincarnate or Dave Grohl's spawn, you won't have any problems getting over him cranked. I played in a band where our guitarist had the same Vox, and it was almost as loud as my borrowed Vox AC-15 which was all tube.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
well, i have to tell you, if it's a full band and your drummer gets a little heavy handed because he's still learnig and is emulating a "power" drum style, like bonham, you might find that you're cranking that more than you want.

you'll hear the amp but it might not be at it's best, especially on the heavier gained songs.

as you crank an amp hybrid or solid state, out of its comfort volume, it tends to lose it's "best" tone. especially a 1x12. still might cut it tho. you'd have to practice with it, in a few places, try putting it up on a stand, maybe checking it out with a cab, if one of the guys owns one.

tube amps differ there because they od as you crank them. usually sounding better at higher volumes. which is one reason why you can get away with less tube watts as compared to SS watts.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Well, if I don't crank it out of it's comfort zone, how bad/good will it sound if I decide to mic it? *sigh* Buying a quality amp is more trouble than it should be.
it's a nice amp.

i like the way vox amps sound. for around $350 (i guess they went up in price again), they are very good for what they are.
a gig-able amp in many situations. good cleans, good heavy rock. takes a heavy pedal well, if needed. and i'm pretty sure it's got an ext speaker option.

nice upper intermediate amp. usually dependable. yeah you can mic it if you're in a larger venue or if you feel a little swamped after the bass kicks in, but that will always sound as good as the venues' speaker system and your sound guy.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Guys the ADxxVT and VTxx amps are not your typical SS amps driven by a tube, they are a tube power amp driven by a modeling SS front end....makes a huge difference.

My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Quote by SwamperGene
Guys the ADxxVT and VTxx amps are not your typical SS amps driven by a tube, they are a tube power amp driven by a modeling SS front end....makes a huge difference.

A power amp you say? With a 12ax7 in a preamp slot its definently power amp driven by a SS preamp
no, they have a tube in the poweramp, but how can a 12ax7 put out 15,30,50, and 100W? It can't. Having a tube in the poweramp=/= a real tube poweramp.
Quote by pak1351
no, they have a tube in the poweramp, but how can a 12ax7 put out 15,30,50, and 100W? It can't. Having a tube in the poweramp=/= a real tube poweramp.

You're absolutely right for the most part, and that's where their patent comes in to keep all the stuff going on there from being copied. The 12AX7 is acting as a power amp for the signal coming from the front end, and they claim that they are altering the output power without changing the tonal characteristics of the tube's relationship to the speaker, and truthfully I think they did it pretty well.
My Stuff:
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Quote by pak1351

Well, that answers any and all other questions I have left about this amp. IT'S TIME TO GET A REFUND.
Holy crap. Alex do you make no opinions of your own? So what if its not a true tube amp.

Ask yourself ONE question: "Does it sound good?" and if your answer to that is "yes" then relax and enjoy a good amp. Otherwise, only take it back if your opinion is not based upon the opinions of others.

Stop reading this forum and play.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Holy crap. Alex do you make no opinions of your own? So what if its not a true tube amp.

Ask yourself ONE question: "Does it sound good?" and if your answer to that is "yes" then relax and enjoy a good amp. Otherwise, only take it back if your opinion is not based upon the opinions of others.

Stop reading this forum and play.

I understand what your saying, it's just that I'm worried that:
1) I'm NOT getting my money's worth
2) My amp's speaker will blow out or something. ( The last SS I had was a 90watt Fender Combo and it blew out in 2 years. Not good for a person who is a basically a bedroom player!)
Quote by alex0203
I understand what your saying, it's just that I'm worried that:
1) I'm NOT getting my money's worth
2) My amp's speaker will blow out or something. ( The last SS I had was a 90watt Fender Combo and it blew out in 2 years. Not good for a person who is a basically a bedroom player!)

The Vox is worth every cent you paid for. It sounds not as good as a real tube amp, but damn close, and it sounds much better than any cube or modeller i played. As for the volume, the vox is louder as any other ss amp. My friends 50VTX can compete with my Laney. Dont worry about Drummer, there is no drummer that will drown out this amp.

And no, you wont blow that speaker. Maybe on a ****ty MG. But not on a high reliable VOX. And i doubt that you'll find anything that can compete with the Vox in your price range.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by OrangeWalls
The Vox is worth every cent you paid for. It sounds not as good as a real tube amp, but damn close, and it sounds much better than any cube or modeller i played. As for the volume, the vox is louder as any other ss amp. My friends 50VTX can compete with my Laney. Dont worry about Drummer, there is no drummer that will drown out this amp.

And no, you wont blow that speaker. Maybe on a ****ty MG. But not on a high reliable VOX. And i doubt that you'll find anything that can compete with the Vox in your price range.

i think the cubes give the vox a run for it's money. but that's just my opinion
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
i think the cubes give the vox a run for it's money. but that's just my opinion

Yes, but a 60W Vox has imo significant more headroom than a 60W Cube. And thats important for a Hybrid or SSmodeler. Crank a 60W Vox and a 60W Cube, and you'll hear the difference.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

Last edited by OrangeWalls at Jan 1, 2009,
trust your ears! theyre great sounding amps, and 50w is plenty...my friend has the 30w that struggles to keep up with drummer but 50w is good
It's the best solid state amp ive heard, and for hard rock sounds i prefer it over my tube
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by OrangeWalls
Yes, but a 60W Vox has imo significant more headroom than a 60W Vox. And thats important for a Hybrid or SSmodeler. Crank a 60W Vox and a 60W Cube, and you'll hear the difference.

huh?

if i were able to compare both i would. but i hate turning up amps loud at the store. seemskida rude.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
60W Vox has imo significant more headroom than a 60W Cube

fix'd.
Gear:

My Lyrics and Poems

Quote by OrangeWalls
i doubt that you'll find anything that can compete with the Vox in your price range.

I don't. The TS can easily get a very good amp for $380. Classic 30, Delta Blues, Blues Jr and OD. Or for just the average bedroom player as the TS states, a Super Champ XD would be perfect fwiw.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The stock speaker in the AD50VT isn't great IMO. TS, see how you like the amp. Just because a bunch of rich gear snobs would tell you to return it, don't. Trust your ears and especially your wallet! Also, adding wheels to the bottom of the AD50VT was the smartest thing I ever did.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
The thing about the AD Valvetronixes is that they've been outmoded by the newer VT Valvetronixes which have 22 amp models versus the 11 of the original. Only thing is I don't think the 50w VT is out yet, and that's not to say the AD Valvetronixes are bad by any means. If you like it, **** everyone else and go with it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by gregs1020
I don't. The TS can easily get a very good amp for $380. Classic 30, Delta Blues, Blues Jr and OD. Or for just the average bedroom player as the TS states, a Super Champ XD would be perfect fwiw.

Wow, this is the post that sums up much of the UG community.

No, a classic 30 is NOT the end all amp in that range, and NO low end fenders with OD's do not become metal machines.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets

No, a classic 30 is NOT the end all amp in that range, and NO low end fenders with OD's do not become metal machines.

Where did the TS mention needing a metal machine aesop? He is a bedroom player and I recommended the Super Champ XD. I was pointing out what is available in the price range - not telling him to buy a Classic 30. Just to prove me wrong, find a better amp for classic rock and blues for $300, I await your response.

Are you chairing the new "jump to conclusion" bandwagon?

Edit: Since you mentioned metal, have you tried the Super Champ XD? It does that too relatively well at bedroom levels IMO.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
If you're basically a bedroom player a 50W amp of any kind is plenty.....but that's also where the Valvetronix shines....with the power attenuator you can set it up how you like and adjust the output without messing up your sound. And it should give you plenty of room to move up to playing in a band situation, if it doesn't get over the drums then tell the drummer to learn about a thing called dynamics. 30-50 watt amps have been a staple of garage bands since the beginning of rock music.

The most important consideration is how much you like the sound. I just got back into playing after about 15 years off. One of the reasons I stopped playing was frustration...I lived in an apartment and like the attitude here I just had to have a tube amp and back then it had to be a Marshall, so I go out and buy a 100W combo for nearly 2G. And it sucked...I don't think I ever had the volume past "1" and everything sounded horrible. I spent more time messing with settings than practicing and would just get completely put off by the fact that I couldn't get a good sound. In contrast, having just got a VT30 a month ago, my playing has devoloped tenfold because I can plug in, dial in a sound for whatever I feel like messin' with, and I'm good to go....it's proving to be the single most inspirational piece of equipment I've ever owned.
My Stuff:
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
dude, its a quality amp, always reccomended around here. so it's not full tube, who cares? it's still damn good! reviews on musicians friend and stuff are mostly idiots. trust your ears, you've made the right choice.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
If you like the sound then keep it. Tube amps are nice when you can turn them up and the powertubes saturate. That happens at pretty loud volumes even for a 15 watt tube amp thats way beyound normal bedroom or household volumes.
The valvetronic 50 watts are ideal for a bedroom player that sometimes jams with others or does the odd gig.
The vox is a great amp for the money, if you like it keep it, 50 watts will get you over a drummer pretty easily, if you really needed more hook it up to a PA.
Quote by sesstreets

Bud, the superchamp xd is a modeling amp, we're not talking about the old superchamps. Also, not everyone plays metal so give that a break. TS specifically said he played rock.

To TS, the vox is a pretty good modeling amp. Personally, I liked the superchamp xd better. The superchamp xd has a legitimate tube poweramp, but a solid state preamp and is still a modeling amp. If you want an amp that's all-tube, a used classic 30 or a used crate palomino V32 or V16 would be worth looking at.
Page 1 of 2