Page 1 of 2
I think I'm gonna be getting a new guitar soon, and I want to get a guitar that's good for 80's metal like Van Halen, Whitesnake, Dokken, Def Leppard, and other 80's metal bands.

I want a guitar with a floyd rose, and humbuckers (obviously). Right now I have about 400$ to spend, but I can save up a little more if needed.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
look into Ibanez, LTD & Jackson

Ibanez might be the only one w/ floyds that cheap, and those arent very good
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
My mate just got a kramer striker for $600 AUD a few days ago. If that doesn't scream 80's hair metal I don't know what does.
save
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Not sure how much an Ibanez RG is but that'll work
On the internet guys are guys, girls are guys, and little girls are police men.
Quote by CJRocker
Used Charvel Model 2, 3, 4, or a used Kramer focus would be perfect.

This man knows the truth
Quote by KSM_Dante
My mate just got a kramer striker for $600 AUD a few days ago. If that doesn't scream 80's hair metal I don't know what does.

Quote by RIP_bonham
musiciansfriend, i dont have the link, kramer with floyd HSS for like 250 US.
i dunno how good its gonna be, but i sure drool over it.

yeah I was looking at that guitar, but I wasn't to sure about it being so cheap. Does anyone know how good the floyd is?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-JS30-Electric-Guitar?sku=511636

what about this guitar? it seems pretty sweet... does it look good to you guys, and do any of you guys have any experience with it??

edit: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=512239X
or this guitar, i dont really like the sharktooth inlays, but they're ok i guess.

How are the floyds on these jacksons?
Last edited by guitarplaya322 at Jan 1, 2009,
I was thinking about a striker as well has anyone played one that can tell me about the quality?
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Ibanez RG 5 EX 1 400$, replace stock bridge pickup with Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon 99$, total=499$= exactly what you want. story over dont listen to these other idiots who have no clue
jackson?

i want one
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Yeah most bands in the 80's used jackson/charvel, ibanez, or cramer.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by devit
save

+1. definitely save.
U may be able to buy an ESP LTD M-series...but not a very good one
Quote by JeDiXxX
Ibanez RG 5 EX 1 400$, replace stock bridge pickup with Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon 99$, total=499$= exactly what you want. story over dont listen to these other idiots who have no clue

Getting your head out of your ass would be a good idea for you.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
There is a beautiful Kramer Striker sunburst for $150 on Craigslist in my area......im trying to buy it myself though.......
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
1. Get any almost strat shaped guitar (as long as it isn't a strat) with bizarre headstock/colour
2. But some crazy arse, high gain humbucker in the bridge (no need to worry about the neck, it will remain unused)
3. Play your 80's guitar!
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
jackson, kramer, charvelle or an off brand shredder type guitar from the 80s go guitar shopping at a gutiar shop that has used guitars and look there sometimes you can get good stuff cheap dave's has never failed me
Quote by guitarplaya322
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-JS30-Electric-Guitar?sku=511636

what about this guitar? it seems pretty sweet... does it look good to you guys, and do any of you guys have any experience with it??

edit: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=512239X
or this guitar, i dont really like the sharktooth inlays, but they're ok i guess.

How are the floyds on these jacksons?

thanks for your help guys... Can you guys give me any input on these guitars.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=512239X
Dean ML for that pristine Glam era Pantera sound.
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.
I was kinda looking more towards a super-strat style, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

And I have an extra seymour duncan bridge pick up lying around, but its not a trembucker. Will it still work if I stick in a guitar with a floyd rose?
Quote by DSOTM80
Advice.

TS please listen to this man. He knows 80's guitars and kramer's rock, particularly older ones. You could also look up BC rich gunslinger retro's which apart from barretta reissues etc are the only new, pure 80's guitar I can think of.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by xsentrick
Check this guy's axes out. www.meanstreetguitars.com

They scream 80's like Don Dokken in red and white checkered spandex!

haha yeah I've seen those.

Could someone answer my pick-up question?
I found a Jackson DK2 on craiglist for 350$ is this a good deal?
Last edited by guitarplaya322 at Jan 1, 2009,
dont get that jackson js30, i bought one used and it was one of the worst feeling guitars ive ever played. not to mention the floyd on it is rubbish, and the pickups are incredibly weak. save up your money and go for quality, youll regret it later if you dont
NOPE
Quote by Nakon14
dont get that jackson js30, i bought one used and it was one of the worst feeling guitars ive ever played. not to mention the floyd on it is rubbish, and the pickups are incredibly weak. save up your money and go for quality, youll regret it later if you dont

alright thanks!! What about a Jackson DK2?
Quote by KSM_Dante

Too right mate!!
Quote by Jackolas
Too right mate!!

Is this guitar good? Do you think it would be better then a Jackson DK2?
Quote by guitarplaya322
Is this guitar good? Do you think it would be better then a Jackson DK2?

For sure, I actually have a Kramer Striker 422 in red on order at the moment, I can't wait for it to arrive. I was thinking of getting a Jackson but nothing compared to the Kramer for it's price!

Quote by guitarplaya322
I found a Jackson DK2 on craiglist for 350$ is this a good deal?

That's a good deal and they're great guitars but try it first. I personally don't like the way they finish their necks (if they even do).
Quote by Pac_man0123
That's a good deal and they're great guitars but try it first. I personally don't like the way they finish their necks (if they even do).

yeah it seemed like a good deal to me too, considering they go for around 600 new. The guy used to have it on craigslist for around 500 for a month or two, but I guess he started to get desperate and dropped it down to 350. Right now I'm leaning towards the Jackson instead of the Kramer for a few reasons.

1. DK2 has higher retail price then Kramer.
2. I've heard that the LFRs on dk2s are pretty good, don't know much about Jackson.
3. Dk2 has got much much better pickups (seymour duncan JB in bridge!). I know that the seymour duncan bridge JBs kick ass cause I have one in my SG.
Page 1 of 2