Creationism Vs Evolution got closed.

End of an era. Still, it was a lot of fun, and I learned a hell of a lot from some of the most intelligent users I've had the privilege to converse with.

However, over the time I was there, it degenerated into less of a debate, and more of a one-sided scientific curb-stomp by it's regulars on the occasional creationist that used to wander in, get thoroughly owned, and then wander out again after 10-20 posts. It acquired a confrontational, and at times, hostile attitude. So, you're probably thinking "LOL Abs, stop waffling and get to the point, already"

The point of this thread is to discuss: The Big Bang, Abiogenesis, and Evolution - the three main widely accepted theories that deal with the origin of the Universe, Life, and Speciation respectively.

ITT, the aim is to separate and clarify these theories, and to dispel confusion about what they actually mean. The number of times I've facepalmed when I've heard the words "It's just a theory", "Why are monkeys still around then, smartarse?", "White hole", "You can't get something from nothing" "Carbon dating doesn't work", etc. is staggering.

Hopefully, people's questions will be mostly answered by the introductory FAQs that I will hopefully soon post, but in the event that people have trouble with a specific aspect with one or more of these theories, then hopefully, their questions can be answered by the regulars.

Having said that, please take note of what is NOT to be discussed in this thread:

Young Earth Creationism/Intelligent Design

- If you believe (a) God(s) created the world/life/universe as described by YOUR religion, then do not argue the issue here!

Those are religion based theories, and as such have no place in a scientific thread. Religious questions will be answered in the religion and philosophy thread found here. Those theories, apart from their relevant holy books, have NO evidence, and until they do, they will not be treated as scientific theories. That title is reserved for a specific kind of hypothesis that will be defined a bit later on

Having said that, if you ARE a YEC/ID supporter, DO have a read through the FAQs - many people THINK they know what the definition of a specific theory is and are vastly surprised when they find out just how wrong they are. Have a read through and get a scientific definition from scientists - it's going to be a hell of a lot more accurate than many other sources (Like that imbecile Kent Hovind, or that moron wandering round the Pit with "THE BIG BANG THEORY IS BULLSHIT" in his sig like some kind of mental disability sticker - I've yet to decide if his case truly is as tragic as it seems, or if he's just trolling).

Then, if you still have an issue, bring it up in the thread, or if it's a more ecumenical question, take it to the Religion/Philosophy thread, where most of the debaters are old C vs E lurkers anyway.

Aside from our religious zealot friends, if you simply wish to have a discussion about a scientific topic in general, here would be a damn good place. Hopefully, we'll diversify topics a bit, so that many different topics of scientific, historical and geographical interest can be debated and discussed in a helpful and less aggressive environment.
Last edited by LordBishek at Jan 1, 2009,
Creationism/Intelligent Design Section

The links in this section are youtube links that may be helpful to improving an understanding of why Creationism and Intelligent design are categorically and systematically disproven by the three aforementioned theories. They are recommended viewing, not just for YEC/ID supporters, but for ALL users since they reinforce the material here.

HOWEVER, please remember! If you wish to DISCUSS creationism and ID, please do so in the Religion and Philosophy Thread. Cite the video title, and no doubt the (very helpful) regs will answer any questions.

Good debating!

AronRa

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

CDK007

Why Young Earth Creationists Must Deny Gravity

Evolution IS a Blind Watchmaker

How Evolution REALLY works

Potholer54

"Made Easy"

Last edited by LordBishek at Jan 1, 2009,
No. Just no, okay? I'm tired of this.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
Quote by Le_Bunny
And you wonder why? All this is covered in the religion and philosophy thread.

No, it DEFINITELY isn't. It will not be, and if it is it's blatantly off-topic. This is NOT going to be about religion.

Quote by 451F
No. Just no, okay? I'm tired of this.

Nobody is asking you to read this thread.
Quote by creeping.death!
Did you ask for permission to make this thread?

Why? It's a perfectly valid topic that has not been covered before in any singular great detail or coherence.
Quote by creeping.death!
Because Carmel already closed a similar thread today.

Did you not read the first post explaining in detail exactly WHY the two threads are different?
Quote by LordBishek
Did you not read the first post explaining in detail exactly WHY the two threads are different?

Yes I did, and personally, I wouldn't like this to be closed. I'm just saying that since practically this same thread got closed earlier, you should've asked for permission.
Quote by creeping.death!
Yes I did, and personally, I wouldn't like this to be closed. I'm just saying that since practically this same thread got closed earlier, you should've asked for permission.

Maybe
I would have if I thought they were related. Carmel, at least knows I usually ask permission when resurrecting a locked thread. I guess I already have the distinction between the two already crystal clear in my mind, so it's hard to see why the two would be similar. After all, only half of C vs E was relevant to this thread.
I think it's a great idea to keep the thread, I mean, personally, I am wondering what different theories are to our creation, from fellow pit goers. Not to mention, you learn, you teach.
Quote by LordBishek
Maybe
I would have if I thought they were related. Carmel, at least knows I usually ask permission when resurrecting a locked thread. I guess I already have the distinction between the two already crystal clear in my mind, so it's hard to see why the two would be similar. After all, only half of C vs E was relevant to this thread.

Fair enough. Hopefully, It'll stay.
Quote by severed-metal
I think it's a great idea to keep the thread, I mean, personally, I am wondering what different theories are to our creation, from fellow pit goers. Not to mention, you learn, you teach.

This is precisely my intention. I don't just want to argue with creationists, they are actually few and far between. I want to clarify just HOW different reality is from peoples pre-conceptions of what it is.

Quote by creeping.death!
Fair enough. Hopefully, It'll stay.

Hopefully
Quote by LordBishek
This is precisely my intention. I don't just want to argue with creationists, they are actually few and far between. I want to clarify just HOW different reality is from peoples pre-conceptions of what it is.

Hey nice introduction.

And here's a pre-conception I need fixed:

how to pronounce abiogenesis. In biology class my professor never actually used the word (he did teach it though, maybe I wasn't paying attention so much). So is it

a-be-o-genesis.

a-bio-genesis.

or something completely different?

I feel slightly silly asking.
Quote by Merdesa
Hey nice introduction.

And here's a pre-conception I need fixed:

how to pronounce abiogenesis. In biology class my professor never actually used the word (he did teach it though, maybe I wasn't paying attention so much). So is it

a-be-o-genesis.

a-bio-genesis.

or something completely different?

I feel slightly silly asking.

Good to see a familiar face man

I'd hazard the second:

the long "a" prefix similar to "atheist", "amoral", "atypical" expressing negation.

Although I need Fassa for this sort of thing, I'd guess the word literally meant "Genesis without life" or some such related schpiel.
Quote by LordBishek
Good to see a familiar face man

I'd hazard the second:

the long "a" prefix similar to "atheist", "amoral", "atypical" expressing negation.

Although I need Fassa for this sort of thing, I'd guess the word literally meant "Genesis without life" or some such related schpiel.

Yeah I assumed it was the latter, but when I say it fast reading through a post I say the first.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Their new album is pretty good, I've only heard a few songs off it though.

Quote by Merdesa

Yeah I assumed it was the latter, but when I say it fast reading through a post I say the first.

Heh, me too.

I'm a little drunk., so if my typing is off, don't mind.

Why should this thread require any special perimission? It isn't discussed anywhere else, DEFINITLEY not the R & P thread, and only scarcely in the C vs E thread (as mentioned in the OP, which I read (as few of this threads critics have). This cannot be covered in the Religion and Philosophy thread since:

A) it isn't religion
B) it isn't philosophy

....IT'S ****ING SCIENCE!! ANyone see something wrong with this?

But yes....Good to see a thread devoted to such an important topic as this. If you need any help on the evolution FAQ, don't hesitate to ask. I may not know much on the other two theories, but evolution is practically my major. So yea. You may have o wait til I'm sober and coherent, but I can help nonetheless

(although something tells me you can use Freedoms_stain's FAQ as a perfectly legitimate FAQ)
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Jan 1, 2009,
*Posting in epically educational thread*

I look forward to many good things from this thread and gladly offer any help needed.

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
This thread has potential. I have always been really intrested in this stuff but it has never seemed to make sense to me. Not the idea of it, just what happened. I might have a look at the Wikipedia pages posted and post something later.

has no signature.
I'm glad a thread like this has been made. I love talking about stuff like this Science rules. Bill, Bill Bill Bill Bill Nyyyeeee the Science Guy. BILL! BILL! BILL1 BILL! BILL! Bill Nye the Science Guy.

Anyways. I'm off to sleep, 4am. Oh wait, 4:44am, even worse. Peace!
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I have a science question.
If water is made from hydrogen and oxygen, why doesn't it burn?

Seriously?