I'm going to be needing to pick up either an acoustic guitar or acoustic bass to start writing material for my band. Think Opeth, Moonsorrow, etc. Any recommendations? Try to keep it under a thousand bucks if you can.
Last edited by PurpleDinosaur at Jan 1, 2009,
Hmm, I don't really listen to metal but I would think you would want a bassy acoustic. Look into Martin, maybe a used DM.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Any Acoustic could work. If you want to do songs like opeth get a mellow sounding acoustic guitar, maybe even a classical, if you are going to finger pick like opeth.
ovation or laguna. mick thomson uses an ovation.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Yeah...but Ovations sound pretty bad unplugged. But then again, metal sounds pretty bad too. That, of course, is just my opinion. But, from what metal I have listened to, maybe a tinny sounding Ovation is just what you're looking for.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Yeah...but Ovations sound pretty bad unplugged. But then again, metal sounds pretty bad too. That, of course, is just my opinion. But, from what metal I have listened to, maybe a tinny sounding Ovation is just what you're looking for.

Apparently you have never listened to Opeth, they have some of the most moving acoustic pieces in music.

And I believe that Mikael uses Takamines, Martins, and Seagulls. You might wanna check those out.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by PurpleDinosaur
Wait, when does Slipknot use acoustics? I guess Vermillion, Pt 2 is about it.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your suggestions, keep them coming if you can!

Mick has a signature ovation. I have played it and it sounds horrid unplugged and I have an ovation myself. It was just dead sounding even more than most ovations, but I'm sure it sounds amazing plugged in. The neck is great on it though.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777

Apparently you have never listened to Opeth, they have some of the most moving acoustic pieces in music.

And I believe that Mikael uses Takamines, Martins, and Seagulls. You might wanna check those out.

Just read this post, must have posted it right when I posted mine.

Thanks for the info on Mike, his guitar playing/tone is amazing. I'll look those up!
Quote by PurpleDinosaur
Just read this post, must have posted it right when I posted mine.

Thanks for the info on Mike, his guitar playing/tone is amazing. I'll look those up!

Those guitars have fishman pickups in them by the way and the Tak is a 12 string.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by PurpleDinosaur
I think I wanna get the Seagull... but can't find it online anywhere. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-25th-Anniversary-Dreadnaught-AE-Guitar?sku=516403 that's all I can find... anywhere close to what Mike plays?

Not sure what it's like compared to mike's, but he uses a Seagull S6CW.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777

Dude I was just kidding around. Mostly because I don't like metal.

No, I haven't heard any Opeth. I'll give them a listen sometime though.

By the way, I like your suggestions. Well, minus the Martins. There's just something about them that I don't like.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Re: Ovations

FWIW, Kiss did an acoustic set some years ago- black Ovations were the axe of choice.

In my experience, the mid- and full-bowl models (I have a full-bowl Elite) sound quite good- its the shallow and super-shallows that people really hate to hear. I'm not guaranteeing you'll like them, but if you do try an Ovation out, make sure its depth is at least the same as the other acoustics you're trying out, otherwise you're just asking to be disappointed.

As for the Martins & Seagulls? I can't say anything bad about them in terms of sound and quality. Just make sure you're not getting the "prestige guitar" markup on the Martins.

Seagulls are generally pretty affordable, and give you a lot of sonic bang for the buck.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Re: Ovations

FWIW, Kiss did an acoustic set some years ago- black Ovations were the axe of choice.

In my experience, the mid- and full-bowl models (I have a full-bowl Elite) sound quite good- its the shallow and super-shallows that people really hate to hear. I'm not guaranteeing you'll like them, but if you do try an Ovation out, make sure its depth is at least the same as the other acoustics you're trying out, otherwise you're just asking to be disappointed.

As for the Martins & Seagulls? I can't say anything bad about them in terms of sound and quality. Just make sure you're not getting the "prestige guitar" markup on the Martins.

Seagulls are generally pretty affordable, and give you a lot of sonic bang for the buck.

Mine is a full bowl and I love it. Doesn't sound half bad unplugged and sounds great plugged in.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Meh, I just don't like Ovations.

Right now I really think Seagulls are the best value in the acoustic guitar world. They are absoluetly incredible for their price. Seagulls and Takamines.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Meh, I just don't like Ovations.

Right now I really think Seagulls are the best value in the acoustic guitar world. They are absoluetly incredible for their price. Seagulls and Takamines.

Never played a seagull but I really liked a couple taks I played. But I'm no acoustic expert. I'm a metal guy so I just thought I would contribute my Opeth knowledge to the thread.

Between the ovation and tak i was playing I picked the ovation because I liked the brighter tone and I really preferred the neck to the Tak. It's just a lot more comfortable especially on jazzy type solos.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra

Right now I really think Seagulls are the best value in the acoustic guitar world.

I can't say I find much to disagree with there. I'm still thinking about buying a Seagull...maybe a 12 string. They have a wonderful sound.

For the record, though, check out the rest of Godin's acoustic lines- besides Seagull, they also make Lapatrie, Simon & Patrick , Norman and the Art & Lutherie lines. At the moment, I can't recall which one is their premium brand or which is the entry level, but I have tried something in each line. There are some nice sounding guitars in each line.

http://www.godinguitars.com/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Another brand of acoustics I like are Tacomas. Nice, clean lines, projection that seems bigger than it should be, and a price lower that I expected.

Nice...if you can find them. Haven't seen too much of them since they were bought by Fender.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 1, 2009,
Lil Wayne uses an Ovation

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Impliments of Destruction. It's only the intro, but it's one hell of an intro. Machine Head and Chimaira use acoustics. Even if it was unheard of parting those two I'd say it was a staple instrument in Metal. lol

YJ
私は嵐の午前
Je suis la tempête
I am the Storm
seagulls are really nice

if your gonna be playing it mostly plugged in i hear ovations are good plugged in, not so much unplugged though.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Necrophagist777
Lil Wayne uses an Ovation

because i read this, i will never buy an ovation. I hate him with a passion.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Charvele/Jackson makes some acoustics.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Necrophagist777
I found it on the french section of the seagull website.

http://www.seagullguitars.com/products6%2Bcwf.htm

Sucks because I don't speak French, so if there's any way for me to buy one from that page, I wouldn't know how to. But anyway. I'll keep looking, sounds like Ovation is the best alternative. I'll give those a try next time I head to the music shop.
Quote by PurpleDinosaur
Sucks because I don't speak French, so if there's any way for me to buy one from that page, I wouldn't know how to. But anyway. I'll keep looking, sounds like Ovation is the best alternative. I'll give those a try next time I head to the music shop.

Dude, just because someone famous plays a certain guitar doesn't mean that you should get it. Look at other Seagulls. They're great guitars.

In fact, look at other brands and make your own choice. What is being said here are merely suggestions, and not commands of "Thou shalt get this guitar or thou shalt perish!"
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by PurpleDinosaur
The last half of my post completely nullifies everything you just said. Not that it matters. I'll still keep trying things out.

He's right dude, I didn't say you needed to get those exact guitars. I'm just showing you what Mikael uses. Some other seagulls will probably be summer apart from build quality etc.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Let us know if you get an Ovation or Seagull...or anything else, for that matter!