Ok well the stock neck pickup in my Dean ML X isn't working anymore for some reason. (If I hit my guitar pretty hard it works sometimes but I feel I shouldn't do that anymore...) The bridge pickup works fine. Anyways I want to get completely new pickups and I can't decide whether to get EMGs or Humbuckers.

Now I have heard A LOT of bad things about EMGs because they are sterile? But then I also hear they are a lot better for heavy distortion and better for metal in general, which is what I play 95% of the time. I hear a lot of good things about humbuckers and some of my favorite players (Like Synyster Gates, Dimebag, Zakk Wylde...) use humbuckers.

So what are your opinions?
emgs are humbuckers.....zakk wylde uses emg humbuckers...
Squirrels>all other animals group

Quote by Prophet of Page
I don't recommend passive pickups for any kind of blues tone. Ideally, you'd want a passive pickup with a reasonably low level of output.
Quote by wildwildwes594
I'd get some nice humbuckers. maybe Gibson, Seymor Duncan, or Bill Lawrence like Dimebag used.

Go for one of the latter 2. Gibson pickups are terrible IMO. I've used all of them and I personally just hate them. If you wanna go active, go for the Seymour Duncan Blackouts. I like them better than EMGs but you might want to try both the EMGs and the Blackouts to see what you like better. Dimarzios are pretty good too. IMO, you should just go with the Duncans, whether active or passive.
Quote by mmolteratx
Go for one of the latter 2. Gibson pickups are terrible IMO. I've used all of them and I personally just hate them. If you wanna go active, go for the Seymour Duncan Blackouts. I like them better than EMGs but you might want to try both the EMGs and the Blackouts to see what you like better. Dimarzios are pretty good too. IMO, you should just go with the Duncans, whether active or passive.

Why does part of me not believe this?
I've never heard anyone say EMGs are humbuckers :S

And I was considering SDs, I've heard they're pretty good
Quote by Ex Shred
I've never heard anyone say EMGs are humbuckers :S

And I was considering SDs, I've heard they're pretty good

Well, EMG is the company name, they make Humbuckers, Single Coils, and other guitar electronics related items.

I'd go for the EMG 85/81 Combo or a pair of Dimarzio D-Activators
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
What amp are you currently using? Some people will disagree, but I personally would recommend staying away from active pickups if you're using a solid state.
if you are going the active route i would go with some livewires or sometype of emg combo. i just put some livewires in my guitar and it turned it into a friggin beast. one guy that i jam with has emgs in his guitar and they are pretty good, but sounded really muddy on my 5150.
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by Ex Shred
Ok well the stock neck pickup in my Dean ML X isn't working anymore for some reason. (If I hit my guitar pretty hard it works sometimes but I feel I shouldn't do that anymore...) The bridge pickup works fine. Anyways I want to get completely new pickups and I can't decide whether to get EMGs or Humbuckers.

Now I have heard A LOT of bad things about EMGs because they are sterile? But then I also hear they are a lot better for heavy distortion and better for metal in general, which is what I play 95% of the time. I hear a lot of good things about humbuckers and some of my favorite players (Like Synyster Gates, Dimebag, Zakk Wylde...) use humbuckers.

So what are your opinions?

Your pickup is working fine, you have dodgy wiring or a wonky selector switch.

Also, what amp do you have?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by mmolteratx

1st bold STFU gibson burstbuckers are the most versatile mass produced pickups,imho
2nd ORLY??!?!??!!!?!? CLIPS AND PIX OR GTFO!!!!!!
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me