hey guys i run a home studio and just recorded a local band. I dont have a lot of stuff right now and i was wondering if there was anything that would improve my studio. I made about 150 recording this band. i have a presounus interface, a power conditioner, waves plugins, adobe audition, cad drum mics, akg perception condenser for vocals, a sennheiser e609 or pod for guitar.

i was just wondering what other things i could get for around 150. Im thinking along the lines of a tube preamp
Ibanez GAX w/Duncan's and Sperzels
Bugera 333 Head
4x12 Fane/Celestion Cab
cubase 4 studio. of course you have to save up or search the internAtz

EDIT: oh yeah, and go for a mic'd amp for guitar/bass. it sounds 50 times better. my friend has a set up that sounds near professional and thats how he does it.
Last edited by Psychaberration at Jan 1, 2009,
i have tried cubase before but it didnt do it for me. i love audition but its got so many freakin bugs and now that my studio is becoming more legit i cant afford to have so many crashs during recording
Bugera 333 Head
4x12 Fane/Celestion Cab
Didn't even read.
Carmel shall now move this thread to where it belongs.

EDIT: Not sure how far you can go with 150$ for preamps.
i have used a micd up guitar amp before but a majority of bands i have recorded really liked the tone they get with the pod better than the amp.
Bugera 333 Head
4x12 Fane/Celestion Cab
whats your room like? maybe build some bass traps? or a subkick?
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
i have been told to get a subkick but i mostly use drumagog to replace my bass and snares. I do use acoustic foam already.
Bugera 333 Head
4x12 Fane/Celestion Cab
Quote by blacklabel22333
i have used a micd up guitar amp before but a majority of bands i have recorded really liked the tone they get with the pod better than the amp.

then no offense, you didnt do it quite right. POD's drop a good amount of a guitar's range dynamicism and tone, but conditions must be quite ideal for a mic'd amp not to be colored and reverberated too heavily. tell me these don't sound like the cats tits, all being mic'd of course:

http://www.myspace.com/silencethesanity

esp. perserverence
Last edited by Psychaberration at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by Psychaberration
then no offense, you didnt do it quite right. POD's drop a good amount of a guitar's range dynamicism and tone, but conditions must be quite ideal for a mic'd amp not to be colored and reverberated too heavily. tell me these don't sound like the cats tits, all being mic'd of course:

http://www.myspace.com/silencethesanity

esp. perserverence

I love the recordings, could you PM me your MSN address, if I ever need recording tips ? Cause I have all the gear, I just, don't use it properly :P
alright that did sounds good. i just can never get it right. i get my sennheiser e609 right on the grill cloth aimed around the center of the cone but when its all done recording i feel like i would be better off just useing the pod. do you think i need a different mic besides the sennheiser.
Bugera 333 Head
4x12 Fane/Celestion Cab
Quote by Darkshade666
I love the recordings, could you PM me your MSN address, if I ever need recording tips ? Cause I have all the gear, I just, don't use it properly :P

Oh this might be a misunderstanding but this is all my friends gear , i used to work with him almost every day until a year or so ago, but i moved 1000 miles away... . i have a full understanding of all of it, its just i dont actually own it lol. but i will help you with all I can.
Quote by blacklabel22333
alright that did sounds good. i just can never get it right. i get my sennheiser e609 right on the grill cloth aimed around the center of the cone but when its all done recording i feel like i would be better off just useing the pod. do you think i need a different mic besides the sennheiser.

well we used a e609 and an sm57 surprisingly, on a tube vox combo (i believe, sometimes thru my stack as well). it really is a fickle thiing, positioning a mic as to not color the sound. but dont forget, the mastering/mixdown is what allows one to phase out any coloring and bring the prominent attributes of the guitar style (be it jazz metal rock etc.) to the forefront, not just the amp settings. and it also could be just as simple as a low quality amp/room acoustics.
Quote by blacklabel22333
hey guys i run a home studio and just recorded a local band. I dont have a lot of stuff right now and i was wondering if there was anything that would improve my studio. I made about 150 recording this band. i have a presounus interface, a power conditioner, waves plugins, adobe audition, cad drum mics, akg perception condenser for vocals, a sennheiser e609 or pod for guitar.

i was just wondering what other things i could get for around 150. Im thinking along the lines of a tube preamp

R&R forum