Hey everyone.
Hope this is in the right place, if not, sorry and I'll delete it.

I hold my pick incorrectly. I use my thumb and two fingers to hold it.
Apparently, the correct way to hold it is by making a fist shape, with your thumb placed beside it, and slotting the pick in between the thumb and the fist.

I can get speed with the incorrect way I hold it, however can get no speed when I hold it correctly.

Do I need to worry about fixing this up? Will it benefit me in the future if I do?

Thanks in advance.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Don't worry about it.
I think Van Halen plays with Thumb + Middle.

As long as it doesn't impede playing, which for you, it obviously doesn't, more power to you.
Play how you like.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

i used to hold my pick like you do, and then i switched. to me, it worked alot better once i switched, but that could be because i got a new teacher who gave me alot better exercises. however, i do feel its more in you're wrist when you hold it like a fist, which makes speed more comfortable and easier to accomplish for me. really, its whatever is comfortable for you.
Actually you have to worry about it. I also used to hold it in another way and there was this tutor who told me that I was wrong. And when I tried to hold it correctly I sucked at playing, had your problem too, which is couldn't get the speed. But after I practiced it for weeks then I felt more easier with my right hand than before. If you want to be technically accurate you must hold your pick the right way. Or you'll have problems with some techniques such as pinch harmonics.
Quote by YA89
Actually you have to worry about it. I also used to hold it in another way and there was this tutor who told me that I was wrong. And when I tried to hold it correctly I sucked at playing, had your problem too, which is couldn't get the speed. But after I practiced it for weeks then I felt more easier with my right hand than before. If you want to be technically accurate you must hold your pick the right way. Or you'll have problems with some techniques such as pinch harmonics.

Hmm, I find pinch harmonics much easier to do by holding the pick how I currently am. Thanks for the advice, I think I might start to work on getting proficient with the correct technique.

This is exactly how I hold the pick - >> HERE <<.
You can see it clearly at 0:55.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by Iriathz

This is exactly how I hold the pick - >> HERE <<.
You can see it clearly at 0:55.

Steve Morse also has carpal tunnel syndrome. Not saying his CTS is caused by his picking (combined with his anchoring) but it is a possibility, a small one but still a possibility.

I saw a video somewhere where Paul Gilbert said he used to hold the pick the way you did, and that he eventually changed the way he held it.
I play the exact same way and I find it to much more stable than with just two fingers and you can switch faster between fingerpicking and pick.
I think it more about if you hold it and it's works for you then you it everybody has there own style so I don't think there is a wrong way or a right way (well as long as your holding it and can strumm then I guess it's right)